Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Logs Discussion

Well if you want we could be food logging buddies. I just started last week. I will do what ever I can to keep you motivated.

Thank you! I haven't even started yet! I should do it right now...

Okay I just entered my food and Water for the day in SparkPeople. Now, to keep it up...

Terry, what daily calorie goal did SparkPeople give you and what is your weekly weight loss goal?

1200 - 1550 cals, 60 -136 gr Protein. Seems very high. Today I managed 690 cals and 53 gr Protein.

I'm almost three months out. I still can't eat much. I have trouble with beef and poultry and tuna. I can eat 1/2 of a tilapia filet but, if I do I can't eat any veggies. Sometimes I make a meal out of steamed veggies but can't fit protein in. Greek yogurt and Protein shakes go down easiest, but I can do eat pea Soup and chili (only about 1/4 to 1/3 cup). And Protein Bars if I eat slowly.

My three month follow-up is next week. Is the amount I'm able to eat normal?

I don't have a weekly weight loss goal. I'll lose 5 lbs in one week and then nothing for a week or two. I'm hoping to lose another 50-60 lbs by next summer. I've lost a total of 55 lbs - 12 before surgery, 43 after.

This is very helpful. I have been pretty good about logging on mfp and just discovered there is a weekly summary of calories. I was under 1778 calories last week. I have learned thru mfp that when I get 80-100 grams of Protein I sleep well and lose weight faster. Otherwise I wake up a lot during the night and my weight stalls . But getting that much protein is hard. I am almost six months post surgery (2/28/13). Started at 291 in December as my highest weight. Now I weigh 210 and really feel great.

I aim for 1000-1100 calories but mostly worry about protein. I'd like to lose another 50 lbs and hope the logging and concentration on protein and veggies will get me there.

I never use to until you recommended it DL

And thank you for that!

I'm continuing to slowly lose weight keeping track of my calories and Protein has helped this immensely. It keeps me accountable and perhaps a little addicted.

60kg down - 25kg to go 12mths out Woo!

1200 - 1550 cals, 60 -136 gr Protein. Seems very high. Today I managed 690 cals and 53 gr Protein.

I'm almost three months out. I still can't eat much. I have trouble with beef and poultry and tuna. I can eat 1/2 of a tilapia filet but, if I do I can't eat any veggies. Sometimes I make a meal out of steamed veggies but can't fit protein in. Greek yogurt and Protein shakes go down easiest, but I can do eat pea Soup and chili (only about 1/4 to 1/3 cup). And Protein Bars if I eat slowly.

My three month follow-up is next week. Is the amount I'm able to eat normal?

Terry, I'd say your calorie count and what you can eat are pretty "normal". We hear it so often but it is undeniable that everyone is different. The real story is told in your blood work and I'm guessing that your doctor has ordered it for your three month follow-up. Your weight loss is excellent - congratulations!

I've never used the SparkPeople app but they have an excellent reputation. The calorie goal is obviously not calculated for RNY folks but that really doesn't matter. Any calorie goal is just a reference point - meaning that at an average of X number of calories per day, you're losing an average of X amount of weight per week. If you and your doctor are satisfied with your weight loss, then I'd say your goal in the 650 range is fine. As you have noted, weight loss following the surgery can vary quite a lot from week to week. That's perfectly normal and the real story is always in the average. If you ask me, 45 lbs in three months - amazing! Well done!!

So I had a bad week eating wise. I was over my calories everyday except 2. I realized on Saturday that it was that special time of the month for me, and I am hopeful that it had something to do with my increase.

My percentages were a little closer to my goal this week. However I seem to struggle daily with getting enough fat in. I set my goals to be 40/35/25. I am hitting my Protein goal of 25%everyday now, but have a hard time hitting the 35% fat.

I also gained a few pounds last week which makes complete sense because I was over on my calories. I am going to the gym, but mainly working on strength training. I usually run a mile to warm up and then hit the weights. So I am not burning a whole lot of calories according to MFP.

This is very helpful. I have been pretty good about logging on mfp and just discovered there is a weekly summary of calories. I was under 1778 calories last week. I have learned thru mfp that when I get 80-100 grams of Protein I sleep well and lose weight faster. Otherwise I wake up a lot during the night and my weight stalls . But getting that much Protein is hard. I am almost six months post surgery (2/28/13). Started at 291 in December as my highest weight. Now I weigh 210 and really feel great.

I aim for 1000-1100 calories but mostly worry about protein. I'd like to lose another 50 lbs and hope the logging and concentration on protein and veggies will get me there.

I find it so amazing that when you read the story your log tells, you learn so much. Not only about what you're eating, but how your diet affects other aspects of your life. Your observation being the perfect example - increase your protein and you sleep better. I drink a 35g Protein shake just about every morning of the world. My protein goal is 100g a day. I usually hit it but it is almost impossible for me to do that on a regular basis without the shake supplement.

The weekly calorie summary in MFP is a great tool. The week runs Monday to Sunday. So you can check it at any time during the week and it will show you how far under/over you are compared to your weekly calorie goal. And you can see the information in three formats - bar graph, pie chart and the detailed page. The "Summary" tab is on the same page and will show you how many calories you have remaining at any time during your day. Really useful for making adjustments to your next meal(s) based on the number of calories you have remaining. And if you really want to "fine tune", you can look at the detailed view of the "Daily" tab to check any of your nutrient totals AND see your goal and how much you have left to meet your goal for the day. Powerful.

81 lbs in six months - how cool is that?! Congratulations!!

So I had a bad week eating wise. I was over my calories everyday except 2. I realized on Saturday that it was that special time of the month for me, and I am hopeful that it had something to do with my increase.

My percentages were a little closer to my goal this week. However I seem to struggle daily with getting enough fat in. I set my goals to be 40/35/25. I am hitting my Protein goal of 25%everyday now, but have a hard time hitting the 35% fat.

I also gained a few pounds last week which makes complete sense because I was over on my calories. I am going to the gym, but mainly working on strength training. I usually run a mile to warm up and then hit the weights. So I am not burning a whole lot of calories according to MFP.

Last week I was over my calorie goal every day except three days. But...my AVERAGE calories for the week was only about 100 calories above my 1620 MFP goal. It's ALL about the AVERAGES. Don't stress about being over for X amount of days. Focus on the average and you'll be amazed at how easily you can make minor adjustments for a day or two and be right back on track. That is a GREAT, OVER THE TOP confidence builder.

You might want to try nuts for increasing your fats - very high in fats and very healthy. The often cited "Nurses Study" followed more than 80,000 nurses for five years. One of the things they found was that nurses who ate at least 5g of nuts per day reduced the likelihood of heart attack by a whopping 35%. Pretty much all nuts, including peanuts, are healthy. Just be careful with portions, they are high in calories. I eat 5g of nuts just about every day whether I want them or not! Lol.

I never use to until you recommended it DL

And thank you for that!

I'm continuing to slowly lose weight keeping track of my calories and Protein has helped this immensely. It keeps me accountable and perhaps a little addicted.

60kg down - 25kg to go 12mths out Woo!

No Jess - thank you!! You probably have noticed that I am "passionate" (sounds better than fanatical - Lol) about food logs. I know exactly what you mean about it being addictive. It is a very unfortunate fact that us loggers are a small minority. I believe that a lot of folks stress, struggle and some even fail with controlling/managing their weight when they could be huge success stories by investing the effort in maintaining a log.

Every one of us in this thread are helping to get the word out. I sincerely hope that this thread grows to hundreds of pages of success stories from hundreds of loggers!! We are changing the RNY world - one logger at a time! LOL!!

Congratulations on your amazing loss so far!!

Gonna chime in. I am an avid food logger. Haven't looked my weekly averages but plan to tonight. I do log everything in religiously.. Can afford a guilty pleasure every now and then in part because I am so active and because I log and know where I stand each and everyday. I encourage anyone not logging to start. I firmly believe it will make you a success. No more wondering why you are not losing. The food log won't lie as long as you record everything going in your mouth. For me the way I got so fat is I was a sneak eater... If no one saw me eat it... It didn't. My great mass was attributed by myself as poor metabolism and just damn bad luck... Ha who was I kidding. Had I logged back then I may have not gotten so fat!! Now 196 lbs lighter... There is no way I am going back to the old me. Log log log!!!

Welcome Ms. Kristy and than you so much for sharing your experience!! 196 lbs is nothing short of amazing - you are my hero!!!

Psssssttt ... DL... I get on the scale everyday.... Sometimes twice lol

date of surgery 02/21/12 surgery weight 340 lbs. current weight 146 lbs