Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

chest pain after fill?

i just got my first fill--about 1 hr ago. while in the dr's office--it all went very well--surgeon stuck needle in--no problem, put in the liquid, no problem, took needle out, no problem--stuck a little band aid there---i got up, put coat on, went outside, made next appt (1 month), went downstairs, outside--and felt---a little left side chest pain--maybe even like heartburn. it has continued.

came back to work--ate some clear vegetable Soup and am sipping a diet snapple.

still have the uncomfortable feeling on lleft side. this feels like the "idiopathic" (no known cause) chest pain i get sometimes--but it is continuing. not severe--just slight -- but upsetting.

any comments?

Thank you all,

girlin

nyc

I don't know if this is what you have, but after my first fill I would get little sharp pains near the port area, almost like my muscle was mad at me for disturbing it. Then it felt like little twitches. It did go away after a few days. Did the doctor have you drink before you left to make sure all was well?

Thanks for your answer--my port is nearer to my waistband--this is just under my left breast---very like heartburn--it's upsetting because of its location--not particularly a bad pain--but nagging and continuing.

when i came home--i just took painkiller--very strong painkiller--and a nap--and i feel better. if it continues---i'll call the dr. i'm on liquids for today and tomorrow--then, he said, i could try regular food.

Did you have the pain before banding? Dr Fielding is worldrenown for doing the banding. You are in excellent hands. Did you drink the Water in the office before you left? Does this happen more when drinking cold or Hot drinks?

If in doubt call the office.....they are going on vacation soon...

spunky

I know that when I get a fill I get a left shoulder pain that feels like around my heart area. It is a weird signal from my esophegus and it is annoying but usually when I eat or drink it hurts right after my fills. It does go away but sometimes when I have a bad PB it comes back. That might be what you are feeling. I have been told by a lot of band people that they get the same annoying hurting on their left side. It has to do with the band tightening and irritating the area so a signal goes to the left shoulder area................I don't know the exact scientific of it but I get it too. I usually have to just relax and stop putting anything in for awhile and it settles down. The tool is working to say to your body STOP!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I came to this site to see if anyone else experienced the left shoulder pain after a fill. I had my first yesterday (yippee). Also, no problem getting it, etc. but when I put anything in my stomach (even water) I get a little ache in my left shoulder. Its a little reminescent of the ache after surgery from the gas. Since I've had no restriction for a couple of weeks, it was almost a welcome ache since it reminded me to slow down, eat or drink slowly, and that the band is working. Now I see it is not uncommon. Thanks.

I got my first fill yesterday. I did the same as you except they had me drink Water while I was still in there and told me if I had certain symptoms (heartburn being one of them to call ....so I'd say - call your doc.)

Carlotta

Thanks everyone---it did go away---and the surgeon said "that shouldn't happen"--but what can i say--it did--it hasn't happened again on subsequent fills. i am REALLY FILLED UP NOW--band is VERY tight--which is good (and bad). so--i am losing weight (oddly--sometimes it drops--then there's a plateau--then it drops again)--and learning to deal with new eating habits. if i wait too long to eat (like today)--i'm definitely gonna be IN TROUBLE at dinner.

how bout all of you??

-girlinnyc

I try to eat at least 5 times a day. If I wait too long I tend to get too hungry and want to eat way too fast. I am stuck at an annoying platue right now and am sooooo close to Onederland that it is so frustrating. I can't seem to drop the last 10 pounds to get the the 100's again. I guess it is time to get another fill and get tightened up. Some days I feel really tight and some I don't. I am just trying to really be good with keeping the exercise up. The inches are really sheding so I need to be thankful for that. My arms have lost weight but now I have saggy turkey gobble arms.........I need to bump up the weight training. It is a never ending battle but the band is definitely working!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had my band for a year. I was getting my fills at the surgery center where I got the band (my doctors office always has an hour + wait) and after four fills I never felt restricted. I went to my surgeon's office and he looked at my band with a barium swallow and filled me and I am really tight. I could feel the band tighten around my tummy. I had some mild shoulder and chest pain and now it's gone after two hours. I assumed it was just something to do with the band tightening. I had never felt anything like it. It made me feel like maybe this fill would work b/c I actually felt tight and felt a bit of pain.