Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Northern Ca Kaiser people

Kaiser seems so much quicker than other programs. I want it to go quick but I need to be prepared mentally and physically. Not sure I'm there yet.

I think the 24 weeks that I have to do is excessive, but I do think your process is extremely fast. I don't think I would be ready yet. Nor would I feel prepared.... I thought Kaiser was much more standardized than this, but I'm finding the each area has a very different program for this. I think there should be a happy medium :-) I thought the 12 weeks sounded reasonable.

How much do you have to lose before surgery?

Most have to loose %10, I'm "smaller" so I don't have to but dr told me don't loose more than that if I do

That's not to bad. I got a nice jump start from the flu which was no fun but shrunk my stomach and helped lower my portions.

My psychology appt went well. She was a little shocked I saw her before my surgeon consult so she got me a appt right after. Love my surgeon. He said I only have to lose 1.6 lbs to lose and I'm ready. Nutrition class on 4/10 and Support class 4/19 then I get to schedule my surgery. Dr. Grinberg did say I need to have a endoscope to make sure I don't have anything wrong since I have occasion heart burn. So I think I'm looking at maybe May.

My psychology appt went well. She was a little shocked I saw her before my surgeon consult so she got me a appt right after. Love my surgeon. He said I only have to lose 1.6 lbs to lose and I'm ready. Nutrition class on 4/10 and Support class 4/19 then I get to schedule my surgery. Dr. Grinberg did say I need to have a endoscope to make sure I don't have anything wrong since I have occasion heart burn. So I think I'm looking at maybe May.

Wow that's incredible!! Congratulations :-)

Thank you! Good luck to you ????

I have my orientation tomorrow in South Sac. Any advice or suggestions? I want this whole process to go as fast as it can because I go back to school full time in November. I hope I can get it done and recover by then ????

I have my orientation tomorrow in South Sac. Any advice or suggestions? I want this whole process to go as fast as it can because I go back to school full time in November. I hope I can get it done and recover by then ????

How did your orientation? Did they tell you how much you had to lose to go forward with the surgery?

How did your orientation? Did they tell you how much you had to lose to go forward with the surgery?

No I see the surgeon for the consult on the 22nd and he will tell me then. I hope it's not a lot. I've done SO much research and have 3 friends who have had the bypass surgery, and I really feel mentally ready. So excited! Do you know if he'll give me a list of all the things I need to do beforehand? Like blood work, mammogram, etc.?

No I see the surgeon for the consult on the 22nd and he will tell me then. I hope it's not a lot. I've done SO much research and have 3 friends who have had the bypass surgery, and I really feel mentally ready. So excited! Do you know if he'll give me a list of all the things I need to do beforehand? Like blood work, mammogram, etc.?

I'm pretty sure in order to be accepted into the program, you have to be current on all your tests like pap, mammogram, etc. Once you are 5lbs from your pre surgery goal weight, you will do labs, EKG, Endoscopy if your wanting the sleeve, and possibly a ultra sounds for gall bladder. Consultation, psych appt, nutrition class and support group all have to be done before you start your pre op aka 5lbs from pro op goal weight. I needed to lose 14 lbs. it was pretty easy.

Hey ladies

I'm from Nor Cal too. I will be having my 2 hour orientation October 23rd in Sacramento with Kaiser too.

What was it like? Anything else I should expect? Thanks in advance ladies.

I'm sac kaiser oct 2 2914 ... Is anyone post op now?

Hi there I'm in Folsom and was curious how you initially got started? My PCP is being so dismissive I don't know where to go from here. :(

I'm in program at Kaiser South San Francisco. It does seem every area is different! My surgeon wanted me to lose 30 lbs on 1000cal/day diet before surgery. That was more that 10%, starting weight 234lb. Lots of appts, NUT, surgeon, psychologist, nurse practioner, sleep apnea testing, but no ongoing classes. The sleep apnea stuff is slowing me down, can't seem to get a therapy/setting that doesn't worsen apnea. Who knew that happened?! If I end up with CPAP machine I need to be on it for at least 2 months before surgery scheduled. They say when you can finally schedule surgery, the time frame is about a month out. So I figure I'm at least 3 months from surgery! I'm not sure how much weight loss before surgery is too much, or even if there is a too much. I have email in to nurse practitioner to ask this question. So far I have lost 44 lbs, current BMI is 34...

I'm in program at Kaiser South San Francisco. It does seem every area is different! My surgeon wanted me to lose 30 lbs on 1000cal/day diet before surgery. That was more that 10%, starting weight 234lb. Lots of appts, NUT, surgeon, psychologist, nurse practioner, sleep apnea testing, but no ongoing classes. The sleep apnea stuff is slowing me down, can't seem to get a therapy/setting that doesn't worsen apnea. Who knew that happened?! If I end up with CPAP machine I need to be on it for at least 2 months before surgery scheduled. They say when you can finally schedule surgery, the time frame is about a month out. So I figure I'm at least 3 months from surgery! I'm not sure how much weight loss before surgery is too much, or even if there is a too much. I have email in to nurse practitioner to ask this question. So far I have lost 44 lbs, current BMI is 34...

I started this process two years ago in San Francisco because it was not available in Sacramento. I had the worst experience of my life. The nutritionist was horrible, The orientation was horrible, The surgeon was horrible. I felt like they really did not want people to have this done they were trying to get people not to do it. It was more like a scare factor in the orientation. I remember the surgeon telling me that I was always going to feel hungry and then if people tell me I wasn't that they were lying. I was at 280 and he wanted me to lose 45 pounds. Well I lost 55 pounds and decided screw him I can do this on my own because these people are horrible. So them asking you does more than 10% is totally normal. I felt like they really wanted you to do it on your own. Then I had an injury that set me back and of course the weight came back. Then Sacramento started a program. Now I was 295. When the surgeon met with me and saw that I had lost so much weight before that I was able to do that he did not force me to do it again. He just wanted me to have shown that I could make better choices. I only had to lose 14 pounds. Which definitely happens if you do the 1200 cal diet. And Sacramento did not require a sleep study. The experience here is completely night and day to experience I had in San Francisco. The nutritionist still not my favorite but I feel better about it. She always answers my questions. Dr. Grinberg is wonderful and the staff is wonderful. I could not say enough good things about it. Started in May definitely could've been done by August but I took my time with preop diet. Now I'm four days post op and down 10 pounds. Feel great. So happy they have this program here. I would recommend it over south sf any day!