Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how do you deal with emotions without food?

I am feeling anxious and sad all at the same time and I just want to eat. I have to maintain if not increase my pre op weight loss. I haven't had surgery yet, but is this what it's like post op? How do others deal with this? Please help.

It's HARD!

Besides emotional eating my family celebrated everything with food! When I'm sad/mad/time of the month I snack but stupid stuff like carrots or apple for the crunch... Lame I know!

I have bite size chocolate for a craving (I don't dump) but approach with caution! For the time of the month.

It's all a learning experience. I can't eat cake ice cream and McDonald's when I'm sad or mad. I deal with it. Find your alternative within the limits of what you can do. I like to freeze Water with crystal light and slushy it.

I need to figure out how to not Celebrate with food! My family is the worst!!!!!!!:(

Surgery date 7/25/12

You must be strong cuz if you wanna be successful after surgery you have to pretend you had surgery since after WLS you can't eat the same. Think about it your on time to back out. Yes it's normal to be hungry of course we think like fat ppl I love eating & I still do but do I want to be 211 pounds again hell no & size 18 hell no but we must be strong. Don't let food control us. Eat to survive not live to eat. I'm here for you. You got this. You must be a winner

food is such a part of most families. I can remember if my daughter got sad I was like lets go get a chocolate shake... like food always makes things better. I have moments where I am like ... give me something.... thank god I cant eat like I used to with this onery pouch of mine. I have found... as strange as this may seem... that talking a power walk helps. I put my head phones on and just go!!! Gotta find another alternative even tho the temptation is still there!!

It's a life style change and sometimes your the only one changing so you have to stand strong SOLO. It's hard no doubt. I still crave sweets, but I don't eat that anymore. PERIOD. I will eat some fruit or drink crystal light for sweetness. Eventually your body will stop wanting those things so bad. Be Strong because when you cross over you will have to be strong to be successful

Best Wishes :)

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going through this right now because it's that time of the month. I have been strong up to now. I've given up meat completely, nothing fried, Water only. It's really hard though. Thanks for the support. I'm going to do this even if I have to cry everyday to get out my emotions.

Hey shawna i completely relate! To your story just got out of work and my fam is eating pizza cheesy bread the whole shabang!! And preop diet me eating salad Water and walking on the treadmill! So hard havent had surgery yet but been trying to control myself with the preop diet beacuse my over eating its what got me here in the first place lets be strong we can all make it thank god for this space of support my best wishes! For you

I've actually had a bite of something and I would think is this taste worth it? I've pretty much said no every single time and spit it out. Gross right? It's helped me tho..something about getting the taste of the forbidden and just triggering my brain. Helps my tastes have changed too

For me eating the food was about not feeling the emotions - I just wanted to "feel better". Then I figured out that it's okay to feel these things. The other day was completely horrible with a set of ever worsening events, some of them really embarrassing. Before I would have gone home and gone into a food coma. Instead I let myself feel the feelings and then talked to myself to help put them into perspective. The day passed and the next day was better and I didn't need to stuff myself to get over it. Journaling helps as well. Then you can go back and read it and laugh at yourself and the silly situations you find yourself in. Having said that - when it's the time of the month, what can you do? i find that I am hungrier and even worse, don't feel well enough to exercise. But it's okay - it's only for a few days and I try to eat more high Protein foods like greek yougurt which can only help the weight loss effort. Hang in there!

It's HARD!

I have bite size chocolate for a craving (I don't dump) but approach with caution! For the time of the month.

It's all a learning experience. I can't eat cake ice cream and McDonald's when I'm sad or mad. I deal with it. Find your alternative within the limits of what you can do. I like to freeze Water with crystal light and slushy it.

I need to figure out how to not Celebrate with food! My family is the worst!!!!!!!:(

Surgery date 7/25/12

Hi, When I had my sleeve I've found low carb chocolate my saviour You can find them pretty easily Atkins has some nice low carb chocolate, Which taste really good a small amount but just enough to satisfy the taste and urges.

I am feeling anxious and sad all at the same time and I just want to eat. I have to maintain if not increase my pre op weight loss. I haven't had surgery yet, but is this what it's like post op? How do others deal with this? Please help.

For reasons that I'm not sure anyone can fully explain, the way you're feeling pre-op and the way you'll feel post-op are dramatically different. For several weeks and up to a couple of months post-op, you are likely to have little or no appetite at all. I found it to be quite amazing and bizarre at the same time. Lol. Everything changes post-op. The first few weeks are challenging but it gets better, MUCH better, before you know it.

food is an addiction not unlike drugs or alcohol in many ways. Your body and your mind are missing that "fix" and in response your emotions take you on a roller coaster ride. When you're feeling sad, discouraged, frustrated, angry or any other negative emotion - reach for a better feeling thought. Focus your thoughts on feeling a little better. It may not be a lot, but it will be enough. Because when you feel just a little better, other better feeling thoughts will come - seemingly from nowhere. With a little practice and before you know it, reaching for that better feeling thought becomes second nature and the results are quite amazing.

So "I'm really hungry" becomes "I know I'm doing the right thing for myself, my family, and my health". Better. "I'm nervous about my upcoming surgery" becomes "I am so thankful that I have been given this opportunity to overcome this disease once and for all". Better. "Why is this so hard" becomes "I have read so many success stories - if they can do it, so can I". Better.

You're gonna love the new you!!

Thanks DL... you are always so well "spoken".... I appreciate your wisdom. You are right...post op is a world of difference but a wonderful difference.

I still have days I feel like I could sit down and eat an entire cheesecake....but reality sets in and I know 1) It doesnt fit in my "plan" 2) its empty nutrition 3) my pouch would NOT be happy!! 4) I truly dont need food to solve my problems or be happy.

So many times people say "Just walk or exercise instead, it makes it better"....I hated hearing that.. but I find it is so true at least for me!

So hang in there Shawna29.... it will get better!

Thanks DL... you are always so well "spoken".... I appreciate your wisdom. You are right...post op is a world of difference but a wonderful difference.

I still have days I feel like I could sit down and eat an entire cheesecake....but reality sets in and I know 1) It doesnt fit in my "plan" 2) its empty nutrition 3) my pouch would NOT be happy!! 4) I truly dont need food to solve my problems or be happy.

So many times people say "Just walk or exercise instead' date=' it makes it better"....I hated hearing that.. but I find it is so true at least for me!

So hang in there Shawna29.... it willm get better![/quote']

I really do want to exercise and run to make myself feel better, just can't at this current weight. So frustrating.

Hi, even if you just start small like a slow walk to the corner or around the block. I started slow and now every couple of days I walk 6 kilometres which takes about an hour. I do it to music with a good beat.