Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a question for you guys fisrt of all i hope all you losers are doing great and soon to be losers (like me) r doing great as well! I have inly seen my surgeon once for first visit and my checklist says when all the testing and other consults are done the will call ti shedule the 2nd appt with him but i was like so you only see your surgeon like 3 times before the surgery!?? Is that how it goes!? Just want to see your experiences an feedback is that kinda of normal like couple of visits before the BIG DAY??? I appreciate your comments god bless!

Hello & congrats on making this decision! I only saw my surgeon 2x, once at initial visit then again at Pre-op appt. in between those visits I saw the nut, dietician, etc.

I saw my surgeon three times but met with the nurse program head five times. Each of my surgeon visits lasted about 45 minutes. Each time I brought in a list of questions and took lots of notes. After the second visit I actually told him to stop explaining the surgery ...I got it already! I also had to watch six informational videos about the process....it was boring! I will say that I changed my mind about the sleeve after our first visit and after I did mire research..glad I did!

I saw my surgeon three times but met with the nurse program head five times. Each of my surgeon visits lasted about 45 minutes. Each time I brought in a list of questions and took lots of notes. After the second visit I actually told him to stop explaining the surgery ...I got it already! I also had to watch six informational videos about the process....it was boring! I will say that I changed my mind about the sleeve after our first visit and after I did mire research..glad I did!

I saw my surgeon 3 times. I also brought questions but after the initial visit with him. I had done a lot of my own research beforehand - I spent months doing online research and seeking out and talking to people who had the surgery. I really never had any more questions to ask so the other two visits were quick in and outs (he must've loved me!). Even my one week follow up yesterday took all of ten minutes. After he checked my incisions it pretty much consisted of "how are you doing?" "Good" and "do you have any questions" "no, I'm good".

The appointments I found the most informative were with my nutritionist, who explained dietary requirements and explained what I could and couldn't eat, why, and when. And the 2 hour nurse education class that gave all the details of what to expect or do before, during, and after surgery. And the workshops that gave insight into addictions, cross addictions, and behavior modifications.

I saw my surgeon once a month for 6 months then pre op visit. I got a referral from a different surgeon I knew and trusted but I needed to get to know the new surgeon and make sure I trusted him before we did this. It made me more comfortable, but all docs, practices, processes r different. I think it depends on the doc and the insurance.

Best Wishes

I saw my surgeon at the very first consultation, we mapped out a plan, tests, nutrition etc. set a surgery date and I did not see him until the day of surgery. I passed all my test with flying colors and I'm sure if I needed to talk to him I could have seen him but I really did not have any questions and was so ready for it. My surgeon held mandatory classes before surgery to answer any questions and it was in a group environment. You could chat with him privately after class to. He chatted with me a while before I went into surgery as well.

I will only see my surgeon twice. Well, three times if you include the informational meeting.

Ohh.. I see yeah it makes sense now in how it works i was kinda confused as to how this goes but i really appreciate every reply and your wishes i appreciate the support i feel kinda lonely going on this theres not alot of supporting people around me and my desicion im glad to know theres an extra family at the touch of a button! ;0) so happy i found this site. Thanks again karla!

I saw mine at informational seminar as he led it. The. I saw him at my first meeting at his office and then the morning of surgery. So 3 times total but only 2 times was it a personal meeting and that includes the day of surgery. Had meetings with other of his staff of course and any questions I had I asked my coordinator.

My surgeon usually meets with patients 3 times before surgery. The initial consultation where he reviews your medical history and decides what testing you need. The second appointment is after you have completed all of his required testing and the insurance requirements as well. At that appointment he goes over test results and makes a final decision as to whether or not he will operate. After the 2nd appointment, insurance pre-certification is requested. Once the approval is received he sees you for your 3rd and final pre-op appointment where you get to ask any last questions and sign your consents.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Hi everyone. I have been reading everyones posts and trying not to get my hopes up yet. I've been to the surgeon once, didn't see him, I saw his p.a. I wasn't sure at that time what surgery I wanted, the gastric or d.s. but she recommended the gastric. I'm good with that. My bmi is 54. I, very luckily, have no health issues besides GERD and spinal problems because my weight is compressing my spine. I have my check list of things I have to do before they can request insurance approval done on my end, now I'm just waiting for an appointment with the dietician and the psychologist. I also have an appointment with the dr for a sleep study. Then they submit for insurance approval. I'm so scared they are gonna deny it, I don't want to tell anyone I'm considering the surgery till I know. I went to my old primary care and he said that because I have no health issues I wasn't a good candidate. So that is why I keep thinking its not going to happen. I'm glad to have found this forum and to be able to read all ur stories and ask you all question.

Hi everyone. I have been reading everyones posts and trying not to get my hopes up yet. I've been to the surgeon once' date=' didn't see him, I saw his p.a. I wasn't sure at that time what surgery I wanted, the gastric or d.s. but she recommended the gastric. I'm good with that. My bmi is 54. I, very luckily, have no health issues besides GERD and spinal problems because my weight is compressing my spine. I have my check list of things I have to do before they can request insurance approval done on my end, now I'm just waiting for an appointment with the dietician and the psychologist. I also have an appointment with the dr for a sleep study. Then they submit for insurance approval. I'm so scared they are gonna deny it, I don't want to tell anyone I'm considering the surgery till I know. I went to my old primary care and he said that because I have no health issues I wasn't a good candidate. So that is why I keep thinking its not going to happen. I'm glad to have found this forum and to be able to read all ur stories and ask you all question.[/quote']

I don't know how your pcp said that. With a bmi of 54 and GERD I can't see how they could deny you! You are in my prayers.

I saw my surgeon 3 times. 1st visit consultation make sure this is what I wanted. 2nd to bring him all the paper work that I saw the nut & dietician then 3rd schedule surgery