Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused over Sugar Free

I'm 13 days post op. I am also at a stall for 4 days! I haven't moved 1 pound. It's so frustrating because I see so many people in the beginning drop a lot of pounds. My stall began on day 9 post op! Seems strange.

Anyhow, right now everything that I eat is basically a sugarfree item (I had Tomato Soup that has some sugar I suppose). But my brain feels like mush and I am suddenly confused over things.....

In the future, will I ALWAYS have to go for the sugar free version of an item? For example; if I have a small tiny peice of cheesecake, will it always need to be sugar free, or will there be a time where I can have the leaded version?

Thanks

I have a bestie 6 years post op. she eats normally. She just eats about 1/2 what a regular person eats. She eats sugar on occasion but her body prefers raw sugar and honey. And she doesn't eat a lot of it. I understand wanting to know that someday you might get a treat.

Oh, and I just broke a 14 day stall. Maybe 15. I'd have to check

It really depends on your body. Sugar may cause dumping. About a year out, it's becoming more common to develop reactive hypoglycemia. If either happens, you'll be avoiding sugar.

I don't have dumping so I eat things with sugar. I find I don't feel like more than a few bites and then I'm done. Not like before where I'd stuff my face on sweet stuff.

I never was much for sweets - and I am insulin resistant with type II diabetes. I am praying that the RNY helps these things and that in the long term I can have a bite of something sweet and NOT gain 3 pounds from it.

It really depends on your body. Sugar may cause dumping. About a year out' date=' it's becoming more common to develop reactive hypoglycemia. If either happens, you'll be avoiding sugar.

I don't have dumping so I eat things with sugar. I find I don't feel like more than a few bites and then I'm done. Not like before where I'd stuff my face on sweet stuff.[/quote']

I'm going threw this stage. Can't have sugar. It makes me dump big time. Now I'm checking calories & sugar things I never did before ugh! I'm 11 months post up

I was told at 10 days out, that many people gain weight and that any loss at this point is just a bonus.

I was told at 10 days out, that many people gain weight and that any loss at this point is just a bonus.

HUH? This comment doesn't make sense to me.

I was told at 10 days out' date=' that many people gain weight and that any loss at this point is just a bonus.

[/quote']

Why would they gain at 10 days?. I sure hope I don't, I'm down 10.6 pounds since 4/23/13. I'll be very disappointed if I gain with virtually eating very little if at all.

I was told that it is common for patient to gain because of Fluid retention post op up to the two week point. Obviously, they aren't gaining fat, given the low caloric intake at this point. It didn't happen for me, but I was told many people get discouraged in their first follow up because they were slower to lose fluids immediately post op.

I was told that it is common for patient to gain because of Fluid retention post op up to the two week point. Obviously' date=' they aren't gaining fat, given the low caloric intake at this point. It didn't happen for me, but I was told many people get discouraged in their first follow up because they were slower to lose fluids immediately post op.[/quote']

I sure did gain from the fluids at the hospital, but starting with the 3rd day post op I started losing it, I have lost all hospital gain, even l got lower then surgery day by 6.8 pounds, one more morning to lose as I have my follow up tomorrow. Just started full liquids yesterday, that is slow going, but I ate more today then yesterday. I just have to take it a day at a time while I learn all the correct things.

I was told that it is common for patient to gain because of Fluid retention post op up to the two week point. Obviously, they aren't gaining fat, given the low caloric intake at this point. It didn't happen for me, but I was told many people get discouraged in their first follow up because they were slower to lose fluids immediately post op.

My surgery weight was 196 and now 9 days later i'm 202. I still have not got rid of all the fluids they pumped into me. Very discouraging...but I know it will happen with time.

My surgery weight was 196 and now 9 days later i'm 202. I still have not got rid of all the fluids they pumped into me. Very discouraging...but I know it will happen with time.

Great attitude! You also had two surgeries, so more Fluid than most! :) I didn't gain any weight from the iv, or if I did, I lost is right away. When I weighed myself when I got home, I was down 9 lbs.

I still have a whole bunch of swelling too.. I mean it literally looks like i have a basketball in my stomach....LOL. That is awesome you've lost that much so quickly. I bet you are on cloud 9 and doing happy dances!!!! I put my scale up and will not weigh again till i go back to the Dr. on Monday. The weight has no choice but to come off after what we just put our bodies through. Keep up the great work Dorian and to all the others who just had surgery. As far as sugar goes....I will not dare take a chance on putting something in my mouth that is not sugar free this early out. Too much good stuff out there with splenda. I do drink skim milk and doing ok with it...but other than that i'm too scared of dumping and don't want to experience that just yet :)

I'm 13 days post op. I am also at a stall for 4 days! I haven't moved 1 pound. It's so frustrating because I see so many people in the beginning drop a lot of pounds. My stall began on day 9 post op! Seems strange.

Anyhow' date=' right now everything that I eat is basically a sugarfree item (I had Tomato Soup that has some sugar I suppose). But my brain feels like mush and I am suddenly confused over things.....

In the future, will I ALWAYS have to go for the sugar free version of an item? For example; if I have a small tiny peice of cheesecake, will it always need to be sugar free, or will there be a time where I can have the leaded version?

Thanks[/quote']

Some surgeons say no sugar ever!

I stay under 10 grams of sugar and I'm good. Some foods are natural sugars. Just stay in moderation the less you eat or the less you crave it same with carbs. Besides for good weightloss the less you eat of those two the better the weight loss. Stalls are nothing new, I dumped 27 pounds post OP then,stalled for 1.5 weeks then started losing again. Body is shocked it will catch up. Slow and steady losing is good. Suggestion don't weigh yourself more than once a week the scale can be evil...... :-)