Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For pre-ops who have heard RNY horror stories...

I started this process on July 16, 2012. I'm a relative newbie, just having my surgery 56 days ago.

My new pet peeve is people who readily offer what I like to call "RNY tales of terror"- you know, the stories about the one person everybody knows who had RNY, who either had debilitating complications or who lost half of their original body weight only to gain it all back and more.

If you are pre op and have been discouraged by these stories, I want you to hear mine- so far.

I had my surgery less than two months ago. I'm close to being off all my insulin. My blood pressure is even better than before. My joints feel better. I have not had a Migraine since just before the surgery. I have had no heartburn. Although I was tired a lot a month ago, I'm slowly regaining energy and strength. I have had not horrible reactions to any food. I have to remind myself to eat. I have cravings, but they are easier to resist. There was some pain post op, but it was well managed, and improved quickly. I sleep better and my husband reported I am snoring less. I've lost 47 lbs, and 28 inches throughout my torso and upper limbs.

Best of all...I don't regret it at all. I only wish I was ready to do this sooner.

So glad you posted this! I swear, the horror stories would find me everywhere i went!!!! Scared me into backing out of the whole process a while back. My surgery is April 22 and I'm feeling real good about it now. You are doing awesome!!!!....Can't wait to be on the losing side with you!

While I'm feeling good now, it's definitely not an easy way out. The preoperative diet was the worst for me. I was hungry, irritable, and unable to focus. I had a bad withdrawal from caffeine and carbs. I also struggled getting everything in line- food, Water, Protein, Vitamins. All those rules! Eating slowly was a bigger problem to tackle than I thought. My god, did I eat like a wildebeest before surgery?!? But I managed all of it.

I really appreciate your story i have posted a couple of my concerns about wls horror stories that were really creeping out people with" this ruin my life" "im worst than ever"! And really i said isnt this a support group? But with everybodys kind words and your story makes me feel better im just starting the process my first appt my surgeon is april 30 th and my first cardiology appt on april 18 th excited and motivated just learned no to read or pay too mych attention to bad stories because it was kind if affecting me i learned here that everybodys journey is diferent thanks for inspiring me thanks for sharing positive energy for newbies like me! :0)

Thank you so much for posting! I'm making myself read both bad and good stories, just so I can say I know what I'm getting into. But, thank you again for your encouraging words!

Thank you for a well needed post. I am pre op and it took me over 10 years to take this step mainly because of those horror stories. But at this time I feel like even though I will have complications, that cant be more or worse then the obesity problems I have now or will get later in life if I stay like this.

I appreciate you posting this so much. I'm getting very close to my surgery date (May 2) and I am a revision. I had the lap band in 2011 and failed miserably. This thing is horrible and I can't wait to be rid of it. Now that I'm going in for a 2nd procedure, I think everyone in my life has told me why I SHOULDN'T get it, except my amazing and supportive fiancé. I'm getting to the point where I just want to scream that its not anybody's business. It's not their PTO hours being used, it's not their eating that will have to change, and its not them going through surgery. It's so awesome to hear of a success. I know it's a risky procedure, but being morbidly obese is high risk as well. Congratulations. I hope you continue to do amazingly! :)

It took me two years to make up my mind about the surgery. I had the lapband and initially had success but after a few years I just couldn't find a common ground with fills. I had my surgery on Monday and left the hospital yesterday. So far I am just feeling sore. I have no problem eating so far and am more worried if I am eating enough ( couldn't imagine the day I would worry about eating enough). Lol.. Anyway I am sure it will be a long and tedious journey. I feel my greatest fear is over which was making it through surgery. I have lost 10lbs in the few days. Looking forward to my journey

I started this process on July 16, 2012. I'm a relative newbie, just having my surgery 56 days ago.

My new pet peeve is people who readily offer what I like to call "RNY tales of terror"- you know, the stories about the one person everybody knows who had RNY, who either had debilitating complications or who lost half of their original body weight only to gain it all back and more.

If you are pre op and have been discouraged by these stories, I want you to hear mine- so far.

I had my surgery less than two months ago. I'm close to being off all my insulin. My blood pressure is even better than before. My joints feel better. I have not had a Migraine since just before the surgery. I have had no heartburn. Although I was tired a lot a month ago, I'm slowly regaining energy and strength. I have had not horrible reactions to any food. I have to remind myself to eat. I have cravings, but they are easier to resist. There was some pain post op, but it was well managed, and improved quickly. I sleep better and my husband reported I am snoring less. I've lost 47 lbs, and 28 inches throughout my torso and upper limbs.

Best of all...I don't regret it at all. I only wish I was ready to do this sooner.

I forgot to add- no more bouts with IBS. I did not have horrible gas pains after surgery (I thought I would since i did after my c-section), my hair is not thinning.

I'm with Debbie....no horror stories about the RNY. I had some pretty miserable fatigue the first month and have had some nausea issues off and on (thank God for zofran) plus I'm fairly sensitive to some carbs so I have had the joy of dumpling....

All that said, I was back at work 9 days post-op, camping with cub scouts 2 1/2 weeks post op, have had maybe 5 doses of pain medicine since I left the hospital (I did love my heating pad the first month though!!!), I haven't thrown up, I can eat anything approved by my doc (including bread, steak, ham) but I do eat slow, take tiny bites, and chew well. I did break my rules Friday and had salad for lunch, I'm approved to start it Monday so I was 3 days early. I had no problem. Every once in a while, if I take too big of a bite, I'll get a heavy feeling in my stomach but that passes in a few minutes.

I feel good! The pain is gone (an occasional twinge if I move just right), my energy is back to normal (or better), I do get hungry once in a while but 4 or 5 bites takes care of it, my moods are back to normal, and my ass is shrinking. Life is good and I'm a very very lucky girl!

Now, lap-band horror stories, I can give you many!!!!! :)

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 225

No horror stories from me. I had very little pain after the first few days, and those days the pain was well controlled.

Afterwards I was sore but had no trouble drinking my food. The only problem I had was at week four-- my pouch was inflamed (normal) and I needed to take maloox to coat it. Now I am great! Just learning my "I'm full!" Cues. I am down 26 lbs from date of surgery, 36 lbs since I started. Surgery was 2/28/13.

Thank you! This really does help. I'm hoping for a surgery date in May but it will most likely be June.

I'm really happy to see that hearing this is encouraging to pre op patients, and glad to hear from those doing well post op. Weight loss surgery is not a trip to the spa. It is a lot of dedication, commitment, and effort. I thought going into this I could do it all alone, but the truth is we need support, and the support of someone who's been through it is invaluable. I have made several wonderful friends in this process, and even though my current friends were cheering me on, hearing, "If I can do it, you can" held a certain weight (no pun intended.)

There is going to be horror stories with any procedure. When I got my surgery I was so scared and thought I was going to die during it. It was not bad at all. I was up walking the next morning. I would have been the first night but had a catheter in. I barely used any meds. I have lost 65 pounds and am loving life. Push forward....good luck!

My husband and I both went through the "what if the worst happened?" mode when I decided to do this. I never realized he was needing support, too. Took talking to a co-worker whose wife had the same surgery, by the same doc that he relaxed. I was relieved to wake up from the surgery and surprised that, even in pain, I did not feel all that weird. I was worried I'd feel like I could feel the "alterations." Truth is, I only noticed the difference when I drank Water. It was way easier than my c-section was for me.