Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Menopausal Problems After RNY Surgery

I am 4 weeks post op, about 8 days after my surgery I started to have pains in my lower stomach that reminding me of the cramps I used to get before my period. And, about 2 days after that I started having a period. It has now been 10 days and I am still having a period. As anyone else who is post menipausal experience anything that this. I am so confused about this. It has been about 5 years since I stopped having periods and now this is happening. Someone told me that when you are extremely overweight that estrogen gets stored in the fat cells. Could it be that the estrogen is now being released from my fat cells and this is what is happening to me. I have lost a grand total of 31 pounds in one month. Does anyone have any thoughts about this and has any women who is post menopausal experience this too. thanks for any information you can give me. I am rally at a loss and do not know what to think.

Wow that is strange.... I have been in menopause for about 3 yrs, and I am 1 yr. RNY post op. The RNY has not changed anything on me yet.

I am not post menopause but I am 41 and never had kids. The surgery has played heck with my cycle. I am now going about every 23-25 days which never happened before. I also started RIGHT after surgery and it was the worst one of my life. It went on forever. (Sorry if TMI) My GYN said that yes, we do release a lot of estrogen when we lose weight. You become super fertile and your periods can go wacko (I was also wacko for a while from the hormones). She said it affects everyone differently. While I can't speak to post-menopause, it seems that your situation may not be so strange based on what she told me. I would call your Dr and maybe reach out to your old GYN if you can.

Thank you both BBdoodle and worm2872, I appreciate your input. I did go to my gyno today and he gave me a pap test and did a biopsy of my uterus and now I have to get an vaginal utrasound next week. When he gets results he will call me for an appointment. I really think you are right worm that I have been so heavy for so long that by lossing wieght it is now making my hormones go wacky on me. BBdoodle just be happy you did not get this problem. I just really hope it is my wacky hormones causing this problem. I will keep you both posted once I know what is going on. Thank you Ladies.

Cheryl

Hey guys. I use to have somewhat regular cycles before my surgery. After the surgery I started having very irregular cycles starting the day after surgery. After 6 months it got a lot worse while taking my normal birth control pills. The last 2 months I started having periods weekly. They would start - last 5 days - stop for 2 days and then start back gain. I went to the gyno and did a vaginal ultra sound that showed 1 fibroid and 1 rupture cyst. However he said he had to chk the lining and do a endometrius biopsy. And let me tell u- 1 of the most painful things I have ever experienced in my life!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I experienced premature ovarian failure at age 30, and i was not overweight yet. So i would be very surprised if i were to get a period again. Not to mention bumbed out. I'm 49 now, my daughter is in collage, and its just my husband and i now. The last thing i need in my life now is being fertile.

Time to call your gynecologist now. Post menopausal bleeding should always be checked. Tell them about the RNY and let the doctor decide whether you should come in for a check up.

Hormones can do amazing things, even after menopause. Eight years after menostop (you're done--why do they call it menopause?), I experienced breakthrough bleeding (like a short period) when I got steroid injections for the arthritis pain in my shoulders. The first time it happened, I went to the gynecologist and got fully checked out as bleeding can be a sign of serious problems. Fortunately, it proved to be just an isolated incident related to the steroids. Six months later, I had another round of injections and it happened again.

Still, it is always wise to have any unexpected bleeding after menostop thoroughly investigated. You wouldn't want to diagnose yourself and find out later you were horribly wrong. Take good care of yourself!

I have read where this happens to women. When we have surgery we are rewired hormonally, in fact that is why the type 2 diabetes goes away before the dramatic weightloss. The hormones play a role with this and I bet you are just fine, your body is just adjusting. Do let us know how it goes and what the results are. I was post menopausal and I did not have any issues.