Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To log, or not to log

Everyone seems to be using MFP, so I'm feeling like maybe I should jump on the bandwagon. I can totally see the benefit of being able to track Protein and calories and micronutrients.

However, I do not want to obsess about food anymore. I've spent 25 years in an unhealthy relationship with food, obsessing over what I can eat, want to eat, should eat, or won't eat. I'm afraid to open that door again.

I'm 4 weeks out, and still having a love/hate relationship with food because of the anatomical changes and some things hurt going down, but I'm not obsessed anymore. It's awesome! I was hungry; I scrambled an egg, ate half, and now I'm done.

So I'm torn. Can people be successful and not log?

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Everyone seems to be using MFP' date=' so I'm feeling like maybe I should jump on the bandwagon. I can totally see the benefit of being able to track Protein and calories and micronutrients.

However, I do not want to obsess about food anymore. I've spent 25 years in an unhealthy relationship with food, obsessing over what I can eat, want to eat, should eat, or won't eat. I'm afraid to open that door again.

I'm 4 weeks out, and still having a love/hate relationship with food because of the anatomical changes and some things hurt going down, but I'm not obsessed anymore. It's awesome! I was hungry; I scrambled an egg, ate half, and now I'm done.

So I'm torn. Can people be successful and not log?

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk[/quote']

I am 4 months out and I do not log! I keep track of protien and carb intake just mentally but I am also like you and I dont want to obsess about food ever again!

Oh and I have lost 65lbs already!

Personally I choose to log. As you get further down the road you will be able to eat more. Why not start the habit now of logging. I mainly log to make sure of my Protein. It's to easy for this old gal to forget what she has eaten for the day.

I’m pre-op and I can tell you the most successful people are the ones that log - it’s not about obsessing - it’s about being accountable -- years ago we didn’t have so many options for keeping us accountable - think of it this way - if or when your a few months out - you can say look at how successful I was when i did this or that verses saying i have no idea what i’m doing wrong - someone help me...

by the way of a confession - i had a six month pre-op diet and I did better and was more disciplined when my dietician read my food journals.

now if i want to get ideas on how to eat like total crap - there’s a few people on here post op - i just have what their having and voila - burgers and fries and wings and pizza - that’s how I get and maintain a 350lb body for sure.

I’m pre-op and I can tell you the most successful people are the ones that log - it’s not about obsessing - it’s about being accountable -- years ago we didn’t have so many options for keeping us accountable - think of it this way - if or when your a few months out - you can say look at how successful I was when i did this or that verses saying i have no idea what i’m doing wrong - someone help me...

by the way of a confession - i had a six month pre-op diet and I did better and was more disciplined when my dietician read my food journals.

now if i want to get ideas on how to eat like total crap - there’s a few people on here post op - i just have what their having and voila - burgers and fries and wings and pizza - that’s how I get and maintain a 350lb body for sure.

Really people are eating that? Wow! I know of a friend of mine that eats like that and it makes me so mad cause I have followed the plan and keep having strictures! I am awaiting my 3rd procedure now and it makes me mad cause she goes out drinking and eating out almost everyday! I didnt go through all this process just to fail in the end.... I work hard everyday to stick to my plan of attack to be healthy!

you must not have been privy to the what are you eating tonight thread where the brilliant ideas of whoppers and fries and pizza and wings are there for the non-judging.

check it out - it’s brilliant.

you must not have been privy to the what are you eating tonight thread where the brilliant ideas of whoppers and fries and pizza and wings are there for the non-judging.

Wow is all I can say! I just found this site yesterday and im so happy I did! I have been struggling since a month post op and had no one to relate to now I have found a lot of helpful advice on here and putting it to good use!

there are some wonderful people here...

and just like high school - some that want to bring you down -

find the cool people and hang with them...

the others are at burger king or taco bell seeing how much they can “get away with”.

Its all about moderation. My sister is about 5 years out. She will eat pizza here and there. she can eat wings. She will also have fries. She doesnt do it everyday but she does do it. And she looks wonderful. Hasnt gain back any of her weight. You seem to be doing really well pre op with not giving into cravings and eating only healthy foods. Why dont you just continue on and not have the surgery.

Its all about moderation. My sister is about 5 years out. She will eat pizza here and there. she can eat wings. She will also have fries. She doesnt do it everyday but she does do it. And she looks wonderful. Hasnt gain back any of her weight. You seem to be doing really well pre op with not giving into cravings and eating only healthy foods. Why dont you just continue on and not have the surgery.

this surgery has undeniably been the #1 helper in the fight against diabetes - that’s why I’m having RNY - 87% of diabetics go into remission and they aren’t even clear how/why -- but they know the statistics.

In my opinion its all up to that particular individual. I am almost a month out and I don't log. I am on soft and puree foods. I have been on we and mfp in the past but for someone like me it gets boring after awhile. Just be mindful of intake of Protein n carbs and make good choices. With our pouches being smaller me personally don't see anything wrong with a treat every now and then (whatever it maybe) we have to live. Also most of have yrs of bad eating habits it wont be undone overnight. Start small.

I log on MFP, but I find that it doesn't make me obsess about what I eat. I have eaten some things that some one here would say were 'bad' or whatever, but I like to log those things as a way of showing myself that I can have a mini cupcake and still fit within my calorie and Protein goals. I had this surgery at 33 to hopefully avoid many of the comorbibities that can be associated with obesity, but I have struggled with my weight my entire life. I hoarded food, ate in secret, and all other manners of unhealthy eating and I am set on not continuing those unhealthy patterns. I find that MFP actually helps with that because I am being honest about it AND and paying attention to how I feel when I consume. I never thought that I would be satisfied with a few bites of really good bread instead of half a loaf. But when I realize I am satisfied and still within my nutritional goals for the day? That is a success for me.

Success is truly defined by everyone individually, it isn't always the number on the scale. For me, I want to have a healthy relationship with food, be active and love life. For now, logging what I eat seems to be helping me achieve these goals.

Sorry..this is a little long? Oops.

HW 344, DOS 320, Surgery Date 2/20/13, CW 294.9 Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

this surgery has undeniably been the #1 helper in the fight against diabetes - that’s why I’m having RNY - 87% of diabetics go into remission and they aren’t even clear how/why -- but they know the statistics.

I have that about diabetes. I have a friend that has a horrible time with hers. I told her about having the surgery will definatly help her diabetes. Hopefully she will look into it.

I tried logging in the past and failed. I refuse to fail this time and find it so much easier using the app. To each their own. Do what ever works for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using RNYTalk