Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nebraska Anyone???

Fedcop-I love Dr McBride. She has the band. I also just found out that she is due in July. As for approval, I am 5 foot even and was 235 at my highest. I believe that I was down to 223 when I was approved. I also have (had) diabetes, sleep apnea, pain in my knees, feet, and lower back. Still have the apnea, but I am thinking of going in for another sleep study to see if I still need it. All my other problems that were weight related have cleared up. It is so nice not to hear my knees snap, crackle and pop anytime I walk up the stairs. Also, no more finger pricks is three to four times per day is heaven.

You should try and come to one of our support group meetings. They are the first Monday at of the month at 6:00, in the same place as the seminar. We also have a yahoo group, not very active, but a lot of information on it. Just go under yahoogroup.com and search for UNMC Bariatric and request to join. Hope to see you at the next meeting.

Hi Mrs Huskers!

I'm prayerful that all is going well for you and yours. I plan to request Dr. McBride when I go on Monday. I'm not sure if they will schedule my appointment but I will inform them I want her. Hopefully she's not out on leave by the time I get approved. Wish me luck!!

(Smiling) You're just one feet taller then me and us short people have to stick together. I had knee surgery after tearing my knee. I'm still trying to heal from it. I work night hours Monday thru Friday so it's hard for me to attend meetings right now. I lied to get the two hours off to attend the seminar. Shame on me but I don't wish for anyone from work to know about my plans to get the lapband. They are too judgemental and it's just not worth the headache. However, I will attend your meetings after July. Thank you for the invite!

I will let you know how Monday goes! Enjoy your weekend

Fed Cop,

Dr McBride doesn't set up an appt until after the insurance is approved.

So, how did you like her talk on Monday? The first time I went I didn't know anything about the band, I was wanting RNY. After hearing her talk about it, I went home, read everything I could about the band, and went back to listen to her talk again. I am so glad that she requires everyone to attend on of those sessions. I also starting attend the suport group meetings and talking to people face to face that have gone through what I was getting ready to go through really helped. I hope that you can get another night off and attend one of those.

As for not wanting anyone at work knowing....I told everyone I work with. Granted there are only 5 full time people here, but I did ask each and everyone of them not to tell anyone outside of the aquarium. Someone let the cat out of the bag and now I think that over half of the people in the agency know about my band. Wish I would have kept my mouth shut and just told my boss. I know I can trust him to keep his mouth shut.

Hi Mrs. Huskers!

I attended the seminar on Monday and found it to be very educational. I couldn't believe how many people attended. Dr. McBride didn't attend the seminar. Her assistant gave teh seminar and shared with us that she has been banded. She told us to go ahead and schedule our psychology appointment with Dr. Petersen. (Smiling) I called the very next morning and have an appointment on the 14th and received my paper work on Wednesday to complete. She also shared with us what insurance companies they have the most problems with and the ones that required a six months diet. She said to call your insurance and if they say approval is based on medical neccesity you would be approved. (Smiling) I previously contacted my insurance and they said mines would be approved at 100%. Now I need to contact them to find out about the fills.

Although I have educated myself about the lap band, thank you for suggesting attending one of the meetings. I would love to actually meet the people who have been banded as well as meet you in person. You have been so kind and I thank you for that. Can you please send me the dates for April or May meetings?

Well, I'm here on duty and better get back to work. Enjoy your day!

Hey Fed Cop,

The meetings are the first Monday of the month, 6:00-7:30 in the same place as the seminar. Have you had a chance to check out our on-line group at yahoogroups.com? They send out a notice before each meeting letting you know what that meeting is going to be about.

So, you got to meet Emily. She is so sweet. She is also the person who does the fills for Dr McBride. Dr McBride has all her fills done under flouro which I think is great. I like seeing how everything is working and know that it is working fine. They can also tell right away if you are too tight and save ya a trip back for an unfill.

It's great that your insurance will cover it. I ended up switching insurances because I got tired of BCBS giving me the run around. Mutual approved me even before I switched. They also cover all but about $30 dollars (with the $20.00 co-pay for the appt it make it around $50.00) for my fills.

Take care and I hope that you can make it to the next meeting.

Hi Mrs. Huskers!

Yes, I checked out the site on yahoo but as you stated before there's not much going on over there. I know I can't attend the meeting in April but I have scheduled a vacation day for the 5th of May so I can attend the meeting. I figure I probably wouldn't get banded until sometime in May. I'm hoping I don't have to take the sleep apena test. I know I snore and I have a hard time getting to sleep and I average 4 to 5 hours of sleep. Hopefully everyone will understand when you do shift work it effects your sleeping habits. Anyway, she said if you are required to wear a mask then you will have to wait 6 months before Dr. McBride will do surgery on you. Wish me luck!!!!...I want the band NOW! (smiling) Hopefully my insurance won't take 4 to 6 weeks to approve mines. Well, have a blessed day!

Hi Fed Cop-

I'm another 46 year old who is being banded in May. I've completed all the pre-op appointments incuding the sleep test. My husband and I were both tested for sleep apnea as we both snore. He has apnea but I do not.

My children are in their twenties and it's now my time yeah!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Ollie,

I am a 40 year old mother of 6 and am scheduled for the lap band in Mexico on May 23 with Dr Alberto Aceves. Everything but the airfare and food for my caretaker is around $7800.00. Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be glad to help with what I can. Tonja

hello Nebraskans! I went to HS in Kearney, college in Hastings but currently live in Nashville, Tn and was banded on 5/9 and loving it so far! Nebraska brings back good memories!

Do you know how much it cost for self pay?

The cost for me in Lincoln, Ne is $14,500. It's worth the loan I'm taking to complete my journey. I've justified it by not buying a new car. Puts things into perspective!

Hello Ollie123 and Mrs Huskers! I finally got banded on the 21st of May and so far is doing great. I have an appointment with Dr. McBride and will start the pureed phase. I must say I struggled with the liquid diet after doing it for 4 weeks and I am so ready for some mashed potatoes. (Laughing) I am also looking forward to seeing how much weight I have lost. Any suggestions on what pureed foods I can eat and how to prepare it is greatly appreciated. Wishing everyone a great evening!

Hey Fed Cop- I was banded on that same day! Do you have a MAgic Bullet hand held blender? They work great. Some of my favorite things have been tio roast vegtables in the oven 400 degrees for 40 minutes; like carrots, potatoes, onions and garlic then put in a blender with chicken broth and season. DELICIOUS!

I have quite few Soup recipes that are awesome and high in Protein.

Good luck to you.

Ollie