Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New member researching if the surgery is right for me

Hello

I will preface by saying I am 5 9 and weight a little over 300lbs. I go to the gym about 4 times a week to do a lot of cardio and some muscle toning. I am no longer able to jog for more than 3-4 minutes. Office chairs, movies, bus, and plane seats are very tight. I ask for an extender on planes. My BMI is probably over 40.

5 years ago I went from 250 down to 186 using the LA Weigthloss diet plan. I kept the weight off for 2 years but as I gradually migrated away from the plan, along with stress I gained weight. First I went to 220 than 240, 260, and have been over 280 for almost 3 years. I am an emotional overeater. When I stick to a diet, I lose weight. My problem is binging. I like food (pizza, cheeseburgers, Pasta, and my big weakness is snacking).

I thought about the gastric bypass surgery but my doctor is opposed to surgey knowing my weight problems are in my head. I see some people go to Mexico for surgery which I will not do since I would want to see one of the best doctors in the US. Just today I read an article that Charlie Weis (Notre Dame football coach) had surgey a couple of years ago. He had complications but did lose some weight. He is by no means thin. He was 350 and may be 275 now. If dropping from 300 to 230 is the expected result then the surgey is a waste to me and I should be strictly dieting instead. If I can drop under 180, then the surgey may be a solution.

For those who have had surgery, do you really have to not eat certain foods the rest of your life? There are times at events when the food available is not on your specific diet, how do you cope?

Please give me your thoughts.

Anyone on this board from NJ that would like to tell me about their experiences and let me know which doctor they used?

Greetings!

I won't kid you, living with the band is difficult at times. But for those of us who have come to the conclusion that in a fight against food, food wins every time, it's a life-saving tool in our arsenal. It sounds like you're a champion dieter but you've seen how hard it is to keep the weight OFF once it's gone. That's really the holy grail of any diet, IMO.

For me, now that I'm over the learning curve and into the live-with-it-forever phase, it's still hard sometimes. Once in a while I'll actually have a dream about wolfing down a huge cheeseburger, but when I wake up I realized that I've been delivered from the evil such behavior used to bring upon me. It's possible to eat too much of the wrong things, but as a banded person those occasions are much rarer than they used to be. I'm DONE with a meal a lot faster, and fewer calories in means less weight on.

Are you ready to give up that binging behavior? It's not easy, and you really have to be sure that the alternative is what you want more than the food. Being lighter--even if you just get down to 230--will give you a new lease on life and this time, with the band, YOU WILL STAY THERE.

There are no foods that I consciously avoid completely, but the huge-bite-gulp-swallow behavior is indeed gone forever. Do I miss it? Sometimes. But I don't miss being 340 lbs and I don't miss hating myself every time I eat something I "shouldn't." If you think you can lose it and keep it off with dieting, then surgery is not for you. If you're past that point and know you need help in this fight, then maybe you are a candidate.

I'm in NJ and you'll see my doc in my signature. Feel free to ask away!

By the way, your BMI is 44.3, you would qualify for the band or Gastric Bypass, providing you pass the pre-surgery test.

My friend who weighed 300 lbs, 5'11" had the gastric bypass, she is down to 170lbs and holding, she loves her weight. She also struggles with the head hunger, binging etc. Surgery doesn't fix this, no matter what type of surgery you have.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches