Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia

I know this is supposed to be a positive board. I just need to know if there is anyone else out there with fibro or rheumatoid arthritis.

I recently found out I have arthritis in my knees :( and degenerative joint disease in my back. The weight loss surgery will hopefully postpone knee replacements and take weight off my back but I am only 44 3/4 years old. I take nsaids for pain and steroids for flare ups.

3 more months of weigh in then I can submit for a surgery date. I'm going RNY all the way!

Going to a pain doctor to get off of nsaids.

Ok pitty party over. Anyone in my boat?

Funny you posted this. I had an appointment today with a rheumatologist and discovered that I have arthritis in my right knee. I thought it was hurting because of my weight and thought it would be better since losing 32 lbs post op but it still hurts. Was told no more NSAIDs and now were doing to work on a plan to alleviate the pain instead of masking it with drugs.

SD:1/28/13 HW:358 SW:338 CW:306

Congrat on the weight loss! Find out which arthritis you have. Osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis?

I get copies of of my xrays so I can remember (fibro fog) what's going on with my body and do research for treatments and tests needed so I am ready when I go to the doctors.

Hopefully there's not a lot of damage done to your knee and with continued weight loss the pain should get better. Ultram is a prescription pain pill that won't hurt your pouch.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Knowlege is power.

Missy

I have RA and have for about ten years now. I had RNY due to my weight gain because of prednisone. I have been on prednisone for about 5 years. I decided to have the surgery to reduce my weight with the goal of getting of the steroids. I have struggled with finding a treatment that worked, but now receive monthly iv infusions for my RA. I had my RNY June 5, 2011. I have lost 99lbs and have gone from a size 22 to a size 10. However my biggest accomplishment is that I have gone from a dosage of 20mg a day on steroids to 2.5 and weaning myself to 0 this month. I am happy to report that my joints are happier and not hurting as much. I am playing soccer 4 times a week without needing lots of pain medication. Bottom line this surgery will not cure RA, but it will impact your quality of life with the disease. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Hi!

I have been to some other forums but I like this one best. I have fibromyalgia as well.

1) did u have ra how long before you had rny?

I use orencia IM now. Had been doing it IV.

2) so you said the pain is better now on your joints?

3) anything I should do or ask for?

Thanks

Missy

Hi!

I have been to some other forums but I like this one best. I have fibromyalgia as well.

1) did u have ra how long before you had rny?

I use orencia IM now. Had been doing it IV.

2) so you said the pain is better now on your joints?

3) anything I should do or ask for?

Thanks

Missy

1) I have had RA for 10 years and just had my RNY in June of 2012.

I am on actemra given by iv once a month, methotrexate given by injection once a week and prednisone taken daily by pill.

2) yes my flare ups have been much better. I was getting them about once a month, and my doc said my joints were always swollen. Now my flare ups are easier on me. I have so much more energy and spunk. My last doc visit dr said my swelling was so much better. I still have my bad days, but instead of once a week of bad days it is once every couple of weeks.

3) talk with your RA doc and ask them what you need to do to prepare for surgery. For example mine wanted me to decrease the prednisone before I went into surgery. If you are taking NSAIDs be sure to talk with all your docs about what you will take after surgery. Ask about exercise and what you can do and how soon. Check into Water aerobics and gentle yoga.

How long have you had RA and fibro?

So there is some hope with weight reduction on my joints to ease the pain...yayy

I have had fibro for 3 years. Was on lyrica which was a God send but u

God send but I packed on the weight. The RA wasn't found until a year later. I have seronegative RA which means blood tests didn't show I had ra but my rheumatologist did ct scan of my hands and found it early. I have it severe that controling my pain is difficult. So bad to the point that between the fibro pain the ra pain and the ability to not do my job job I swallowed an entire bottle of sleeping pills.< /p>

I was working a full time part time job plus had my own toy business. Now I have to have my husband drop me off at the door of Walmart because of the pain.

I take 4 aleve daily, weekly orencia injections and plaquinelle twice a day.

They say get out and walk and I cringe thinking I can't walk but a few minutes until I hurt.

I have lupus, fibro, degenerative disc disease, and several others.....I'm hoping the surgery will help with all the pain. I have been unable to take my lupus med since surgery though and am a bit worried about that......I just hope this was the right choice

I know this is supposed to be a positive board. I just need to know if there is anyone else out there with fibro or rheumatoid arthritis.

I recently found out I have arthritis in my knees :( and degenerative joint disease in my back. The weight loss surgery will hopefully postpone knee replacements and take weight off my back but I am only 44 3/4 years old. I take nsaids for pain and steroids for flare ups.

3 more months of weigh in then I can submit for a surgery date. I'm going RNY all the way!

Going to a pain doctor to get off of nsaids.

Ok pitty party over. Anyone in my boat?

Yup got it! Plus brain and spine condition. Surg on Tuesday!

Hw 245; Pre-Op(RNY) 225.6; Surg Date 2/26; GW 145

I bet your super ready to get on the losers bench I know I am.

Just trying to wrap my head around a body with my medical conditions.

Good luck. Keep in touch and let me know how it. Goes.

Missy

Congrat on the weight loss! Find out which arthritis you have. Osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis?

I get copies of of my xrays so I can remember (fibro fog) what's going on with my body and do research for treatments and tests needed so I am ready when I go to the doctors.

Hopefully there's not a lot of damage done to your knee and with continued weight loss the pain should get better. Ultram is a prescription pain pill that won't hurt your pouch.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Knowlege is power.

Missy

That anti inflammatory med doesn't really work on me.

I have RA and have for about ten years now. I had RNY due to my weight gain because of prednisone. I have been on prednisone for about 5 years. I decided to have the surgery to reduce my weight with the goal of getting of the steroids. I have struggled with finding a treatment that worked' date=' but now receive monthly iv infusions for my RA. I had my RNY June 5, 2011. I have lost 99lbs and have gone from a size 22 to a size 10. However my biggest accomplishment is that I have gone from a dosage of 20mg a day on steroids to 2.5 and weaning myself to 0 this month. I am happy to report that my joints are happier and not hurting as much. I am playing soccer 4 times a week without needing lots of pain medication. Bottom line this surgery will not cure RA, but it will impact your quality of life with the disease. Please feel free to ask me any questions.[/quote']

Yes yes yes! What I needed to hear! I also have deg disc disease, 3 herniated discs, but worst is brain/spine issue affects ability to think write walk bend carry live comfortably more than 1-2 hrs/day

Yes yes yes! What I needed to hear! I also have deg disc disease' date=' 3 herniated discs, but worst is brain/spine issue affects ability to think write walk bend carry live comfortably more than 1-2 hrs/day

Hw 245; Pre-Op(RNY) 225.6; Surg Date 2/26; GW 145[/quote']

this is wonderful news for you if you decide to get the surgery, the only advice is find a sturgeon who can fix things if things go wrong after the surgery such as leaks, tears, etc. since things can happen yet if your on prednisone chronically or biologics the likelihood is much higher. I have Still's disease and have been on prednisone for three years, gained so much weight from the prednisone and lack of joint usage.I actually just had to have another burst because I have been off my orencia since before the beginning Of Dec I had managed to keep it to 16 mg but right now full of complications so I flared bad. So far down a total 51 lbs so any weight helps off the joints. Even with all the complications and slow weight loss I would do it again! I am hoping by the summer to have more mobility be off the prednisone or very minimal dose and be.down quite a bit more so good luck !

Cyn-shakiraa Dos 12-17-12

God send but I packed on the weight. The RA wasn't found until a year later. I have seronegative RA which means blood tests didn't show I had ra but my rheumatologist did ct scan of my hands and found it early. I have it severe that controling my pain is difficult. So bad to the point that between the fibro pain the ra pain and the ability to not do my job job I swallowed an entire bottle of sleeping pills.

I was working a full time part time job plus had my own toy business. Now I have to have my husband drop me off at the door of Walmart because of the pain.

I take 4 aleve daily' date=' weekly orencia injections and plaquinelle twice a day.

They say get out and walk and I cringe thinking I can't walk but a few minutes until I hurt.[/quote']

I am like you and never had a positive blood test. It took doctors about two years to finally diagnose me with RA. I can remember having to have my husband actually move my legs in the morning so that I could get up due to the stiffness. I took the approach that I was not going to let this disease stop me from doing the things I love. It is all about trade offs. For example - going shopping with my husband used to make me hurt, but it was quality time with my husband and most of the time I was willing to endure the pain . There were always times when I knew my body could not handle the shopping trip. You must learn to listen to your body. Especially once you get the surgery. People are right getting out and moving is the best thing you can do for your body. My mom has fibro and back issues. She does not exercise and stays at home when she is in pain. Instead of gaining the muscles to support herself she is losing muscles. She does not eat like she should and therefore is in pain all the time. After the surgery you MUST get to the gym and start working out. You need to find an exercise you can do. You lose so much muscle during this process that you have to build it back in order to support your joints. You will be surprised how good you feel after you exercise. It can be a simple walking at first, just don't sit at home and think by losing the weight everything is better. Your body needs muscle to support your joints.