Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting very close to my surgery date. But still having a few doubts. I'm very worried I'll be the one with complications or problems and since I'm paying out of pocket it's a big risk. Just kind of wondering about your experience. What is the best thing? What has been the worst? Did you need additional surgeries or have complications? How has dumping syndrome affected you? Would you do it all over again?? Please share! And thank you for your support and help. I really have enjoyed these forums. You are all so nice and helpful. God bless. ---Megan.

Honestly, right now..and don't be scared. But I'm two weeks post op and as of this moment I wouldn't recommend it. The physical stuff I could deal with, but I was not ready for all the emotions and sadness and regret I felt. I'm doing much better than when I first came home, and even better than last week. I'm still sad tho, looked at a bag of salt and vinegar chips at the market and started crying, wondering if I'm going to be left out of all the yummy foods I love for the rest of my life. A good thing is tho I'm down about 50 pounds right now, clothes are fitting better and I don't feel like I'm gonna die when I walk up a staircase. I know in a few months ill be so happy with the decision I made but it is really hard in the beginning. Also I experienced the dumping thing once and it was AWFUL. I was so weak and nauseous, plus with the heart palpitations I started hyperventilating and my lips turned blue. I know it's not all bad tho but I just wanted to let u know it may not all be roses and puppies either.

I am 7 weeks out. No complications and haven't dumped once, but I eat exactly right. I chew chew chew, focus on only Protein (and can now say I love it!), drink my Protein Shakes daily and get real close to hitting 800 calories a day. I wish I had done it years ago. The first 4 days were the hardest. About 2 weeks into it I was sad for about a day, and now- it's totally worth giving up those bad foods. I have so much energy and drive and honestly- I ate enough of those "bad" foods to last me another 30 years so I don't miss them or how bad they made me feel :)

Ok so here goes I had RNY on 8/22/12 first month an be a little tough as u get used to not eating solid foods I had very little pain except from gas walking helps with that. I have no regrets at all and would do it all over again if I had to I had diabetes high blood pressure and cholesterol and plenty of mess now I just take Vitamins as all the other stuff went away along with 107 lbs of fat since surgery and 137 total and I had no complications hope this helps good luck with your journey

Hi..I am a month post op.First two weeks were hard as it is with any major surgery. I had severe pain and only once did I had a moment where I doubted my decision. It had absolutely nothing to fo with food. I have been pretty good when it comes to food..I don't miss it because i know that when im ready and able I will eventually have regular healthy food again. If you are 100% commited yo making a life change then go for it. Remember "we don't live to eat...we eat to live"... A healthy much happier you awaits! :)

I find this thread very interesting because I too was wondering these same things. One week on this preop diet and I feel grumpy. One thing with me is that I have never had any body image problems. Never felt different being heavy, I still wore a bathing suit in public with out thinking twice. Neither my first or present husband ever said anything about my weight. So I'm not driven by the image part of weight loss. I am totally doing this for health reasons because I have a rare breathing disorder and by losing weight they can surgically get in closer to fix it. I am afraid I will be sorry I did this if I am nauseated and sick.

I don't have any attachments to any foods. Just a bit scared I guess.

5 weeks out...had complications 2 days after surgery and had a 2nd emergency surgery. Could I have lost 31 pounds this quickly and on my own? Probably not. I was at the end of my rope...I couldn't diet anymore, I needed a fixed lifestyle change. I've been nothing but happy with my decision...complications and all, I'd do it again. I do mourn food. You will get so full of something off a bite or two and WISH AND YEARN to eat more...it's a depressing feeling, you feel as if you didn't have your fill. You will get through that though if you choose to. Let this tool be a last resort...if you've truly and honestly exhausted all other diet options, then this is for you.

I had such a hard time for the first 4-ish weeks. My Calcium and potassium were low so I lost all control of my hands. My labs were reading that they were just a touch low so nobody wanted to treat me. I finally convinced a doctor that even though they were barely low on the scale... for my body, they were critically low. After that got fixed and my BP meds got regulated (I kept passing out from low BP) things have been great!

But for the first month I HATED my decision and cried every day to be normal and happy again. I'm 8 weeks out, 52lbs down and SO glad I made this decision. food is still hard for me. I just get so bored with the same options... I don't like having to think so much, just want to eat what's convenient.

Every experience is different. I do not regret my choice. I love my new lifestyle. I have had no complications other than emotions gone crazy, but that passes. I love the way I am looking and feeling. Being fat is such a burden on your body in every way. I had high bp, asthma, migranes, irritible bowel and more. All are gone since surgery. I am almost 5 months out and have lost 60 percent of my excess weight.

Ask yourself if weight loss is important to you. If it is, then the discomfort and wild-emotions will all be worth the effort. I was taking 7 meds each day including a needle and the regimen was sapping my confidence. Today, [9 weeks post surgery] I take none of those meds. I did have complications [blood loss] that included a few transfusions. But my confidence is back. And that has made ALL the difference. Good luck with your decision.

I had surgery on 11/19. I was doing pretty well. I had never had surgery before so I had no idea what to really expect. I made it ok. Sent me home on the 21st. By the 22nd I was really sick. I could keep NOTHING down. Went to the ER and found out I had a staple close off and twist my intestine. Back into surgery but I have been fine since. What I had happen was very rare! Three four weeks out I got pretty nauseated and lived on Water crackers and yogurt. But that soon passed. Yes, there were times I hated my decision and I was scared but I would do it again. I'm at three months today and I am finally starting to feel normal again. It is a BIG lifestyle change and should not be done lightly. It was my last resort. Time will tell. GOOD LUCK to you!

I am three weeks out and do not regret my choice. I have lost 16 pounds, though that is not the best thing. I have found that I now eat to live and not live to eat. Going through this showed me how addicted I was to food and helped me to start to help with this addiction. I could have lost the weight without it, but would have gained it back plus more, because I was never treating the real problem. This surgery effects you physically and emotionally. I have had no complications and will admit the first two weeks are hard.

I am almost 4 months out and down 50lbs. No complications, nor regrets. I will not have to go on diabetes medicine and am almost off high BP medicine. My asthma is so much better. I believe I can keep up with my kids now. I did this for health reasons and should have considered it years ago. I just try to follow the rules of eating and so far, so good. Everyday is a challenge, just go day by day....