Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Sabbatoge

Okay my band friends..need some help and love! I had my band placed June 12th...I have lost about 46 pounds. Heres my problem. I eat something then drink Water to flush it down. I also eat sweets like crazy. I am still hungry after 2 fills. What should I do? Should I get another fill? My surgeon has no bed side manner and to talk to him about this I would feel like a failure!

I found the same thing as Jack re carbs stimulating hunger, don't avoid them completely but do avoid processed and high GI carbs- cravings gone!

Having a fill will not help if you are not "working with your band"- the drinking with food is a tough habit to break but it makes such a difference. I have a small warm drink before a meal ( helps stop me from being too tight) but nothing afterwards for an hour- if I am really desperate to refreshe my mouth etc- I will have a teasspoonful of ice chips and let it melt in my mouth- now that I have broken thehabit i rarely do this.

I agree with Jack that a part of this whole thing is learning to replace old habits with new habits- no easy way round this, the band will not do all the work, we still need to do the head work! Good luck- you can do it! in fact you are part way there when you recognize the problems as you do!

I know how you feel. I'm there right with you. I'm pretty good all day and then boom at night....animal. It stinks. And I'm afraid to tell my doctor as well. I'm seeing a nutritionist and she wants to send me to a psycologist...she thinks my eating is psychological and she wants to work out my issues. Lets hope so.

What I found works best for me is to curb the nighttime eating desire - go work out from 6:30 - 8:00 time frame.....when I get home, the desire to eat is very minimal. I make myself eat something like hummus with pita chips, Protein shake or something light to make my stomach not so rumbly and I'm good.

I'm a sweets eater too - but since surgery, I prefer dark chocolate over anything else. It is quite rich and more satisfying for the craving so a smaller piece takes care of it - over eating a bunch of sweet chocolate where all you want is more. Actually sweet chocolate is now "too sweet" - which seems strange. Every once in a while - having something sweet is not bad....shoveling it in - will halt all of your great progress and just frustrate more.

Yep, like me, you are a junkie. When I go low carb, cut out ALL sugars and refined carbs, I suffer 3 days of pain, then a stretch of freedom.

Freedom from the drug we call sugar.

You can do this, and do it for yourself.

hugs

Hi there....I never post much here but your thread was calling out to me:) ...I had my band placed in July 2005 and did great for a while...then decided my head wanted to eat more...so I started to drink while I ate so I could eat more quantity....I also started telling myself that I "deserved" some ice cream etc...now and then....but it ended up being way more often...almost everynight....so, I haven't lost for about 9 months...and have acutally gained 10 lbs...well, now my mom got a lap band yesterday and all of a sudden something clicked in my head and I got out of my rutt yesterday....not sure why...maybe because I realized looking at her post op, how much money and effort I put into this and how bad I want it to work....

anyway, don't mean to talk about me...and don't know how to make it "click" in your head like it just did mine...but it needs to ....you need to get out of your rutt or you won't lose any weight...like me.

I am out of my rutt and back on track.....I am actually really excited now because my mom got a band, so I feel like I have some support now...before I didn't have anyone besides these boards to talk to about things....and once she gets to eating real food, we can share ideas etc.....

Well, good luck to you...you gotta just get out of it...I see other people's posts that had surgery the same time as me and they have lost 100 lbs and it makes me just sick that that could have been me...but I have been sabatoging my band for almost a year...but not any more.

Try sucking on hard candies now and then....that has helped my sweet tooth...better than eating lots and lots of ice cream.

Michelle

I'm a low carber too! when I eat regular Pasta or any other type of carb including sweets its like a switch gets turned on in my body that signals my brain to CRAVE MORE AND MORE AND MORE.

Before the band I would eat another meal at night after the kids went to bed. Since banding and low carb, no nighttime eating at all EXCEPT those few times I tried to see if I could handle the white Pasta.< /p>

Sounds like first you have to follow the rules THEN maybe time for another fill.

Giood luck!