Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why RNY and not the sleeve?

I went in with an open mind. I knew the band was out for me due to rhuematoid arthritis, but between the sleeve and rny I really trusted my docs experience and knowledge. With rny he said there was more long term data to support long term success. I liked the malabsorption aspect because I am still on steroids daily and my concern was that I was still going to be hungry all the time. I figured if I am I can still lose weight because my body will not get all the calories.

The deciding factor for me was that there aren't really any long term results recorded yet because its still so new.

I know some people had the surgery done over 10 years ago and still doing great it's all about the individual and they're motivation.

I know some people had the surgery done over 10 years ago and still doing great it's all about the individual and they're motivation.

Lol sorry I didn't specify. There are years and years of recorded results on RNY, but the sleeve is too new, no long term recordings yet

Re-Birthday: 2/27/13

Lol sorry I didn't specify. There are years and years of recorded results on RNY' date=' but the sleeve is too new, no long term recordings yet

Re-Birthday: 2/27/13[/quote']

Oh ok

Reasons why I chose RNY and not the Sleeve.

1. Higher Weight loss with RNY, of course.

2. Failure rate of Sleeve is much higher, and also has a few more complications that end up being converted to RNY

3. And the final deciding factor was my acid reflux, My surgeon said that it would get much worse with the sleeve, but not with bypass.

I originally wanted the sleeve but was told the RNY would be more suitable for me and the weight loss would be more consistent given my high blood pressure. With RNY I was off my meds next day. Also, from what I understand long term studies are not yet available to make a direct comparison to RNY yet,

I had no choice when it came to which surgery as my surgery had to be RNY because I had gastroparesis and GERD. Had I had a choice, I still would have chosen RNY over sleeve or banding because the sucess rate was much greater and I like many other need the dumping syndrome to keep me in check!

I am trying to decide between the two. What are your deciding factors? Pros and cons if either that helped you decide?

I have been researching the options for months. I noticed that there seem to be quite a few people who initially have the sleeve but later convert to the bypass.

My supervisor at work had the Lapband three years ago. He has lost 140 lbs, and looks great but he's always throwing up and generally not feeling well. He gets something he calls "slime hiccups" that make him uncomfortable all the time, too.

My friend's surgeon told her that women do better with the bypass that the sleeve but I don't know why or if it's true.

At the informational seminar they said that the results were better with the bypass.

But finally, my deciding factor was the port. The thought of having a port really was an unpleasant thought for me personaly.

Sleeved to Rny here my sleeve never worked right :( 6 months only down 35lbs with eating and working out right. 25k lost on that :( so I will be getting a Rny soon :)

I chose RNY for the same reason as others. My surgeon said with my issues, GERD included, that the sleeve wasn't for me. Also, as a previous smoker with a higher chance of stomach cancer, I liked that the rest of my stomach is there if needed. My surgeon is one of the only ones I talked to that said RNY was reversible and that he's comfortable doing it *but he doesn't recommend it and I'd not reverse later, duh*. :) The lack of long-term data results with the sleeve concerns me and the higher risk of failure. :( I've failed so often on diets, I just can't do that again.