Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery is in 2 days and I'm feeling super nervous.

Hi all. My name is Tim and I am new to this forum. I'm a 51 year old man, a husband, and a proud father...and I'm also obese.

When my daughter, Mia, was born three years ago, it was a wake up call. I weighed 368 at the time and had just discovered I had diabetes. One day, while looking into my daughter's beautiful brown eyes, it just sort of hit me that unless I made some major changes in my life I wouldn't be around to see her get married.

I got a lap band in 2010. I've gotten down to 323 but can't seem to get below that number, partly because of some complications witht he band. I'm now looking at gastic bypass. It is probably more appropriate for me because of its effects on diabetes and also because of the dumping effect (I love sugar way too much and this type of negative would be a benefit to me).

My gatric bypass surgery is in 2 days, I've been reading a lot of the different forums to get as much first had post-op info and knowledge as possible, and I have to say that I am now much more nervous about my gastric bypass surgery than I ever was about my lap band, largely because of all the horror stories left by post-op patients. Reading about all their problems and complicatons really has me scared. While reading all this stuff I tried to be mindful that those who have complications are probably way more likely to be vocal about their experiences than those who have been problem free. That said, I'd like to hear some words of encouragement from those of you out there who have had gastric bypass and are happy with the results. Did the benefits outweigh the negatives? Does anyone know any stats on what percentage of patients have complications?

I feel like I'm doing things right so far. My doctor is 5-star rated so I'm off to a good start. Perhaps I just need a big collective hug of reassurance because I'm just really geting nervous.

Hi Tim welcome to the boards. I am a successful rny person. There are lots on this forum who have converted from band to rny with much success. I happy that you will start the new year with such a bang. Good luck to you and enjoy each new thing losing more weight brings you!!!!

Hey Tim! That's wonderful that you have made this decision for you and for that daughter of yours!

I also had the lapband prior to RNY. It helped me lose a little weight and maintain that small weight loss. But around the 4 year mark I had complications and had to have it removed. I gained 100 pounds in a year and knew I had to do something. I had surgery on 12/10. Anyways I say all of that to say I understand what the band life is like and now I'm here.

You're right there are complications from RNY and we have some here with some serious things they've had to face. But you are also right that the number without complications outweigh those with. I wish no one had to experience them. But think about your life. Do those potential risks and problems outweigh your current situation and quality of life? Probably so or you wouldn't be scheduled for surgery in two days. :-)

Most of us here don't regret having the surgery and it's saved lives!! I'm only a little more than two weeks post op. Sure I've had those moments of "what did I do??" but those are normal thoughts as you adjust to the changes. You will have up and down moments.

I am so glad I had the surgery. Even only being down 19 pounds, I love finally feeling full and satisfied!! I love that strangely my back problems have already vastly improved even though I haven't lost that much weight. I love that I feel better already, seeing the scale move and I am looking forward to the future.

You are doing a great thing. These boards are an awesome support system for when you go through the low times and getting adjusted and to see you are not alone. I wish you the best and welcome!!

Oh and even if you didn't mean it literally I'm still sending you hugs of reassurance!!! {{hugs}} haha

Hi Tim! :) I think the complication rate (at least when I had the sleeve it was) is around 1% depending on the specific complication. You're right, you're going to find a lot of people talking about complications because they are upset. You know, I was even one of them! I had the sleeve in Aug and it didn't go so well so 12/17 I had rny! Of course I was so nervous about my second surgery. There were a lot of "what ifs" floating around in my mind. My surgeon said something really really comforting to me that I'd like to pass along. He said, "There's always something we can do to fix it." When I really stopped and thought about it- it helped me feel better about the decision I was making- which I knew was the right decision, I just needed a little help ;)

Good luck, you'll do great!!

i vomited all the way to the hospital pre op out of nervousness. I had slight complications post op but even with those complications, I have no regrets. I am so glad that I went through this surgery. My pre op nervousness was not warranted. Surgery was not fun. Recovery was not fun. But no regrets.

I am 9 days post op and so far so good. Sore after surgery but from the laproscopic incisions only. I can't even tell anything was done inside except I get full feeling after my Soup yogurt etc. it's a new way of eating but where you had some experience with lap band, you should be fine. In a month's time you will look back and say, not that bad! I'm already down 10 lbs! You can do it!!!

DOS 12/17/12

Welcome Tim.

I had rny in June of this year. I hve had some complications, but looking back on them I am glad I went through them.

2 months after surgery I was having a hard time keeping things down. I was truly miserable and at the time I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life. After crying in the doctors office they got me meds that helped, and things started to turn around for me. My other complication has been bad diahrrea, but hopefully meds will help that out as well. They have said it is c-diff which is a bacteria infection in your intestines after taking so many different antibiotics. I am now taking antibiotics to fix that.

Like I started out saying I am thankful I went through them. It taught me so much about myself. I figured out I was so much stronger than I thought I was.

The benefits have FAR outweighed the problems and risk. I have RA and I have been able to decrease my meds and my doc says I am doing great. I am very close to getting of my steroid medication. Which is the reason I did this to start with. I have gone from 15mg a day to 2.5mg a day! I am down 88lbs and feel great! In fact I am on my way to play 2 indoor soccer games tonight and thanks to the surgery I can do it without massive pain in my joints!

Welcome Tim.

I had rny in June of this year. I hve had some complications, but looking back on them I am glad I went through them.

2 months after surgery I was having a hard time keeping things down. I was truly miserable and at the time I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life. After crying in the doctors office they got me meds that helped, and things started to turn around for me. My other complication has been bad diahrrea, but hopefully meds will help that out as well. They have said it is c-diff which is a bacteria infection in your intestines after taking so many different antibiotics. I am now taking antibiotics to fix that.

Like I started out saying I am thankful I went through them. It taught me so much about myself. I figured out I was so much stronger than I thought I was.

The benefits have FAR outweighed the problems and risk. I have RA and I have been able to decrease my meds and my doc says I am doing great. I am very close to getting of my steroid medication. Which is the reason I did this to start with. I have gone from 15mg a day to 2.5mg a day! I am down 88lbs and feel great! In fact I am on my way to play 2 indoor soccer games tonight and thanks to the surgery I can do it without massive pain in my joints!

Hi Tim, I had the lapband as well. It was put in place in 2006, revision due to a slip in 2008 and then had to have it removed in 2010 due to a really bad prolaps. I waited until 2011 to start the RNY process. mainly because I was so dang afraid of all the re-arranging that would have to happen. That's why I got the lapband in the first place. But....I knew I had to do something because I've been heavy most of my life. I had my RNY 7/2012 and I ran into a complication with the main incision. It got infected so had to be reopened. The antibiotics caused me to have an imbalance in my bowel so that the good bacteria and bad bacteria got all wacked - called CDiff. Yet another antibiotic for that...had to do a few boughts with that but, I'm feeling great. Once in a while, I feel a bit off but, it doesn't last long. I'm thankful I didn't have any major complications but, as mentioned above...the rate of complications has gone down drastically from when we had our lapbands. I was told Less than 1% of RNY patient's have complications with their surgeries. Great odds to me!

Ask all the questions you have, not one is too silly and all are important for you to understand and feel comfortable. You can ask here but, every question should be run by your own surgeon and follow the surgeons recommendations over any advice here. We all try to help but can only offer you the information we've gone through or experienced. It's helpful for sure especially when you can't get to your surgeon's office right away. YOu'll hear many of us mention you should call your own doc while we offer what we've experienced.

Congratulations on your journey with RNY and welcome to the boards. Keep us posted!

Sorry for the double post - sometimes smart phones are not that smart or at least the operator is not. :)

Oh and ask your surgeon about the revision if you haven't already. One of my questions for my surgeon was is the flap used on my stomach to hold the lapband in going to be undone or do you leave it there and work around it. Well it's actually released and if the scaring is bad the pouch has to be slightly bigger than for someone who never had the lapband. Because they can't cut where the scaring is. My pouch is slightly bigger than some because of that but, she was able to take down that flap so that was good news. My next question for her was.....is there more of a chance of complications for me because of the previous lapband. Her answer...just slightly so intead of a 1/2 % risk it was moved up to 1% for me. My surgery did take a bit longer than normal...I was under for I think 4 hours because she had to take the time to remove that flap. I also had to go home with a drain to make sure there was no internal bleeding...not everyone goes home with a drain.

A sincere and heartfelt thank you to everyone for all the comments and advice. It is very comforting to hear all your positive thoughts. I don't really have any extended family and I think I just really needed some reassurance that I am doing the right thing. I'll admit that there are still some aspects of this that I still feel very hesitant about but after some soul-searching I think that my biggest issue - and I feel so stupid for saying this - is having to say goodbye to Fat Tim. This might seem like a strange comparision but in some ways I feel like the me I've always known is dying. Well, at least that's how I was feeling until just recently. Your personal stories and encouragement have helped me realize that it isn't so much a death as a rebirth of a new, better, heathier me...kind of like how a catapiller turns into a butterfly...Still the same but different. As i write this I'm only a day and a half away from my surgery. It is still hard for me to imagine anything but me in this fat suit...but I know the new Tim is just on the horizon and I'm really anxious to have him become a part of my life.

A sincere and heartfelt thank you to everyone for all the comments and advice. It is very comforting to hear all your positive thoughts. I don't really have any extended family and I think I just really needed some reassurance that I am doing the right thing. I'll admit that there are still some aspects of this that I still feel very hesitant about but after some soul-searching I think that my biggest issue - and I feel so stupid for saying this - is having to say goodbye to Fat Tim. This might seem like a strange comparision but in some ways I feel like the me I've always known is dying. Well' date=' at least that's how I was feeling until just recently. Your personal stories and encouragement have helped me realize that it isn't so much a death as a rebirth of a new, better, heathier me...kind of like how a catapiller turns into a butterfly...Still the same but different. As i write this I'm only a day and a half away from my surgery. It is still hard for me to imagine anything but me in this fat suit...but I know the new Tim is just on the horizon and I'm really anxious to have him become a part of my life.[/quote']

I still have a hard time looking in the mirror. It just does not look like me. I am proud of the new me, but still getting used to the new me. The only time I feel comfortable and still the old me is playing soccer. I have found that when I played before the surgery I always thought I was smaller than I was, and when it hurt so bad to play my head and heart were in war. Now they are together as one and it feels so great.i keep saying to my family when I see a recent photo of me that it looks nothing like me. I still see the fat Samantha.

However at the end of the day I now feel sexy, confident, and more like a woman everyday.

Tim we all got go though the what if stage just before surgery. You will be fine you said your doctor is 5 star rated then trust your doctor. If complications come up the doctor will deal with them.

As for the rest there is a great chance that your diabetes will be gone and any other obese problems to

When I had my surgery I weighed 290 lbs had type 2 diabetes and the doctors wanted me on insulin my A1C was 10.9 I had bad gout acid reflux high blood pressure.

To day 5 months later i weigh 204 down 86 lbs my last A1C was 6.0 which means no more diabetes the acid reflux is gone haven't had a gout attack since surgery and my blood pressure is now normal.

I had no complications from surgery but going in that day I thought the world was going to end and this was all for nothing.

You will be fine we are pulling for your speedy recovery and we are saving you a seat on the losers bench ( that's a good place to be)

Good luck keep us posted on your surgery.