Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any grazers out there?

Hi all,

Things are moving along slowly, but surely. I have been told a few times at the clinic that "grazers" are more successful with the bypass rather than the band. They will give me what I want, which is the band of course, but they feel I really, really have to work on the snacking.

Ayone else with this problem of constantly eating, and how does problem work out with the band?

I am never really hungry or full. 23_33_7.gif

Thanks again. This is really such a great site.

PS: The snacking is a big problem..that is what got me here in the first place. What is I still can't control myself???

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZNxdm824IRUS

well...grazer, thats me!!!

I feel like I was just banded, because of the behavior Im trying to relearn.

the first year was great, but regardless in my opinion you still have to retrain your self to eat better. I didnt and know Im having to learn the good eats from the bad eats. Even being banded I still crave and want to eat the ugly foods, but I cant some of them, and then again some days I can...so for me its a struggle still dealing with.

I struggle with this everyday. I am more a night time grazer. I don't think I'm even hungry. Some things I've done is drink Water as soon as I can after dinner. In some ways it fills me up. I also have tried crystal light and hot tea. I also do something with my hands. I recently went back to working jigsaw puzzles. It keeps me occupied during my "danger" time in the evening while watching TV.

I tried eating the 6 meals a day and found that wasn't working. I've gone back to the 3 meals a day and a snack.

I think grazing is a habit that we need to just break. Its hard, really hard to do. I go for periods of time and do really well. Then all of sudden I slip back to my old habits. Its a learning experience every day.

Good luck

Yes, I'm more of a grazer by nature. I like a meal at night, but I dont really want Breakfast and I dont really want lunch, I just want bits and pieces all day long.

It doesnt work for me, I MUST override this natural urge. If I get my 3 squares in, I'm much much much better, and I lose weight. Snacking is something I try to avoid.

My biggest problem though is not eating lunch and wanting to snack - its making myself eat lunch in the first place! I just tend to think "later" and dont do it and end up eating all afternoon.

I dont think I'll ever override this but I can control it most of the time and my band has worked well and I'm almost at goal weight.

I dont look at my band as a solution, I see my eating habits as something I am going to have to control for the rest of my life, not something that will ever be "fixed". Its tiresome but I've accepted that its just the way it is. I dont demand perfection of myself, good enough most of the time works just fine.

I'm a grazer and I know people who graze and it works for them by keeping energy levels up but this is only the case if you are grazing on healthy foods and eat very lightly.........which is the thing I struggle with!

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement.

36_1_11.gif

I'm really focusing in on my three meals a day with no snacking. I'm trying to think of it as making time for myself. I think that is a real problem..I just don't take the time to think of the good healthy things I would really like to have for my meals. There are plenty of good food choices out there.

Thanks again.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZNxdm824IRUS

Since I can only eat a small portion compared to what I used to be able to eat, I can afford the more expensive, healthier Snacks. I do graze....but I do my best to keep only healthy options available to myself! I take one day a week or so, and make small bags of snack goods. I dice up cheese, and make S/F puddings in individual cups, I cut up vegetables, hard boil some eggs, I keep small fruits on hand---a tangerine now is filling as opposed to a big orange. I can easily grab something, and it is ready, if I have to work on fixing it, it is too easy to grab something less healthy. I know fruits are high in sugar---but I am trying to do all things in moderation!!!

My DH also works some nights, so when I have left overs, I put them in a sectioned disposable plate, and use the food saver on them, so when he works I have my own ready to heat frozen dinner. In just my size! Those are the nights, I used to run out for huge amounts of fast food!!! I hate cooking a big meal, for just myself--this way I have things I know I like, and it is ready in 2 minutes!

It takes some prep---but if you keep the right things around, you can work with a grazing situation!!!

Kat