Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2012 Post Op Group

Janice-the first thing I would recommend you do is get into a regular sleep wake pattern. Unless you work nights usually try to get back to sleeping overnight and waking with the sun or morning. Sleeping til 1 or 2 pm does not set you up for good rhythm.

Second is start journaling and keep yourself accountable also get yourself a tangible reward. I have my Bracelet I look at every time I reach for food. It makes me think twice. It has more to do with mind control and following the rules. The more in tune you are to the little sensations the more you will be aware of the sense of fullness. I hope this helps.

For Breakfast I usually eat a Dannon Light & fit yogurt and a cheese stick. Mid morning I have a Protein Drink or bar. lunch is usually a small salad or steamed veggies with fish, tuna, leftover Protein from the night before or cottage cheese. Afternoon snack I have cottage cheese with fruit. dinner is hard as we have 4 kids and they love the carbs! I usually make a big salad every few days so I will have some of that with protein. Tuna, crabmeat, grilled chicken breast. I get my carbs from occasional corn, peas and fruits. I do not eat bread or Pasta. I know if I start I will crave it again. Occasionally I will have a homemade oatmeal cookie. That is a danger zone too as I tolerate them just fine. It is more of a mental exercise for me and planning. I see a counselor two times a month to help me stay on track and that has helped a ton. I keep some boiled eggs ready to go in the fridge and will have two minus the yolk if I am short on time. I write on the egg the day they get boiled so I know if they are old. I don't use mayo or sour cream anymore. I mix everything with nonfat Greek yogurt. The family has no clue and devour things just the same! I have 4 hungry boys and do a lot of cooking. I remind myself not to take tastes and bites. Something I did before that is hard to break.

I sometimes feel hungry, crave chips and salt and sweet things. I keep refocusing myself. I look at a fat picture. I posted a picture of me before on 1/2 a page and the me now in my closet. I will go check it out before binging and that usually distracts me enough to not munch! I chew sugar free gum. Extra make flavors like mint chocolate chip, root beer float, etc. that are good.

If I still want something I make a smoothie with a half banana, scoop chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Powder, a tablespoon of all natural peanut butter and unsweetened almond milk with ice. It is thick, can be spooned like soft serve ice cream and filling! I hope some of this may help. I wish you the best!

Thank you for all those tips and great advice, I will put to use. One question. I thought we couldn't have gum? If we can then I am going to get this. I love the extra gum. Used to chew it alot.

As of right now I am not working. I just graduated from beauty school to be a manicurist and all that they do. Like acrylics, but I have my practical exam left to do which is on the 22nd and I will get my license.

I do eat some Pasta but I eat whole wheat spaghetti and I use long grain wild rice if I have a rice meal but that is usually about every 6 weeks or so I have pasta. I don't like the sour cream. And more of a mustard person. I like Peanut Butter and I do buy the all natural but gives me heart burn not sure why but always has.

Hubs has finally decided to lose some weight. So I plan on making some big salads with just veggies in it.

Thank you again for your advice it truly helps.

I chew gum. I think in moderation it is fine. It does get gastric juices flowing so I think that is a reason they discourage it. I am not working right now due to lay off but find it is super important to stay in a good daily routine. I find it easier to take a short walk in the morning to get the day going. I was looking at the whole wheat Pasta and brown rice but not gonna try it. My family eats it. I have one son that has lost twenty pounds and my husband has lost sixty from all the changes and serving more Protein. I think they feel full. I am also more active so it inspires everyone to move a bit more.

I have been making quinoa and mixing it with a little olive oil, lime, fresh cilantro or basil, chick peas and veggies. A nice little dish and kind of like pasta.

Congratulations on finishing school!! That is great! Good luck on your exam, stressful waiting for the date to approach.

I really find it helpful to think in baby steps. What I do each day adds up. You don't have to run fast to get to the finish line you just have to keep moving.

I agree thanks again . And good news on the hubby and son losing. Thats always good

It's great when we see the changes in our life's and its helping our families to a better life also it's great when they can be on track with you

Yes i agree i just dont have it here

You are making the change. Your home will follow in time. Keep your chin up and know that you should be proud of yourself!

I still do one Protein Shake a day. I also like dannon light and fit Greek yogurts. Any flavor. Nuts are a good too. Almonds and mixed nuts.

I also do salads with chicken or tuna. Fish and wild rice and veggie for dinner. Chicken and steak tips sometimes too. I do exercise 3+ days a week and I think that helps.

Maybe start keeping track of what you put in your mouth. I would stay completely away from soda. It stretches your pouch. It's hard to stay focused and motivated but you can do it.

Good luck!!!

Thank you all so much, love the help and ideals

Janice, for breakfast I eat Special K Protein w FF milk. lunch consists of Damon Light n Fit yogurt, cheese Stick, and a fruit. I drink 1 protein drink (still using the fuzzy Navel) mid morning and another mid afternoon. They are essentially my Snacks. I do not touch the Protein Bars. I also don't eat potatoes, rice, Pasta, etc. for dinner I will eat veggies, raw almonds, fruits. I love Jack Links Beef steak sticks. Low cals, high protein, low carbs. I guess you can say they take the place of the protein bars for me. The smell of cooking meat makes me want to toss my Cookies and walking by the seafood at the grocery store is twice as bad :-( . I have noticed too much spices will turn the tummy. I've tried ice cream and a couple bites and started feeling sick. I tried a couple Reese's pieces and they make me sick. But I can eat M&Ms. A friend bought me a pack last week so I tried it, I was amazed. I eat popcorn without any problem. I do chew gum but I have to wait at least 30-60 minutes after eating or I feel sick. I have been stalled for about 1 month now, but honestly I don't care. I hit 139. I get in 80-100 in protein a day but low calories. 700-750. My dietician is happy w my progress and said I'm right on track. She wasn't worried about only 700-750 cal a day. If I eat 2-2.5 oz of meat and try to eat something more, I dump. So I really have to watch it.

Gen :-) 12/15/12

Janice' date=' for breakfast I eat Special K Protein w FF milk. lunch consists of Damon Light n Fit yogurt, cheese Stick, and a fruit. I drink 1 protein drink (still using the fuzzy Navel) mid morning and another mid afternoon. They are essentially my Snacks. I do not touch the protein bars. I also don't eat potatoes, rice, Pasta, etc. for dinner I will eat veggies, raw almonds, fruits. I love Jack Links Beef steak sticks. Low cals, high protein, low carbs. I guess you can say they take the place of the protein bars for me. The smell of cooking meat makes me want to toss my Cookies and walking by the seafood at the grocery store is twice as bad :-( . I have noticed too much spices will turn the tummy. I've tried ice cream and a couple bites and started feeling sick. I tried a couple Reese's pieces and they make me sick. But I can eat M&Ms. A friend bought me a pack last week so I tried it, I was amazed. I eat popcorn without any problem. I do chew gum but I have to wait at least 30-60 minutes after eating or I feel sick. I have been stalled for about 1 month now, but honestly I don't care. I hit 139. I get in 80-100 in protein a day but low calories. 700-750. My dietician is happy w my progress and said I'm right on track. She wasn't worried about only 700-750 cal a day. If I eat 2-2.5 oz of meat and try to eat something more, I dump. So I really have to watch it.

Gen :-) 12/15/12[/quote']

Wow your pouch has you so disciplined thats great. I like the jack links too. But they are so chewy. But i think i will follow this too. I do eat the special K protein Cereal and also the new one they came out with. I have enough protein mixes to last me awhile. I also use lactaid fat free milk. I cant eat popcorn cuz it hurts me. I tried the 98%fat free 100 calorie mini bags and it makes me feel like my pouch is going to blow up. I just dont get the feeling of being full. Thats been going on awhile i dont eat over 1200 calories a day. Thats what i am missing the fullness. Thanks for the tip on gum. I hadnt tried it

Wow your pouch has you so disciplined thats great. I like the jack links too. But they are so chewy. But i think i will follow this too. I do eat the special K Protein cereal and also the new one they came out with. I have enough protein mixes to last me awhile. I also use lactaid fat free milk. I cant eat popcorn cuz it hurts me. I tried the 98%fat free 100 calorie mini bags and it makes me feel like my pouch is going to blow up. I just dont get the feeling of being full. Thats been going on awhile i dont eat over 1200 calories a day. Thats what i am missing the fullness. Thanks for the tip on gum. I hadnt tried it

If your not getting the sensation of fullness, try using measurements. Pain in the butt, however, it should do the trick. Also you could do the test on your pouch, where you go on liquids for 2 days, then soft food for 2: I don't exactly remember it but you can google it. The test might also be located within this forum.

Yes the jack links are chewy. I take small bites and chew, chew, and chew some more.

Gen :-) 12/15/12

If your not getting the sensation of fullness' date=' try using measurements. Pain in the butt, however, it should do the trick. Also you could do the test on your pouch, where you go on liquids for 2 days, then soft food for 2: I don't exactly remember it but you can google it. The test might also be located within this forum.

Yes the jack links are chewy. I take small bites and chew, chew, and chew some more.

Gen :-) 12/15/12[/quote']

Yes going to try that this week.

Thsnks

Hi everyone' date=' let me first start by saying You folks are amazing!!! Y'all all have done so well. So proud of you all and the accomplishments you all have done. Even with the stress and problems you have had in your personal lives you didn't get discouraged and you came through this life change amazingly .

Now I am not looking for sympathy or anything like that. More of a good swift kick in the ass. I know when we all started our journey in December some of us had high weights, I was 307 day of surgery 287. I have been a slow loser which has been fine. But I am having problems with the pouch . It just doesn't seem to get full. So far my lowest has been 230. Today I weighed in at 246. I am so pissed at myself. I don't eat potatoes. I think I have 3 times since surgery but have cut them completely out.

I drink alot of Water and sugar free tea or I use alot of the water enhancers that they have and they are sugar free. I do drink a small dt dr pepper about every 2 weeks like from sonic so it's not canned soda. But I know it's bad. I eat some fruits with fat free cool whip not alot but use it for a dessert type thing. I eat veggies alot. I hardly eat much bread at all. Do I get my Protein in? Not like I should. I do try to drink a protein drink once a day. Atkins or ensure. I eat protein bars too. I eat natural almonds. Not so much anymore. I don't eat foods that have creamy sauces on them never really liked them. I think alot of it is not watching my carbs. I just can't seem to balance it out. I hate to cook. Some days I think I do ok then dammit I snack constantly. I want my stomach to go STOP freaking eating!!!!!!

But it isn't happening. I have heard that if you go to the herbal store and get chia seed and sprinkle on your foods that it helps your stomach to get full faster. Has anyone tried that? I move so much more now. I make my house cleaning fun by dancing with my broom or mop or just dance around I really enjoy it. I have been spring cleaning this week. And I sleep alot. My days and nights ate flipped backwards sometimes I don't go to sleep till 5 am and get up between 1 and 2 . Not working right now.

So I know I get my sleep in. I usually don't eat pass 9 pm. I have only a few times with maybe a Protein Bar or some type of fruit or maybe cheese crackers from lance we call them nabs.

What do y'all do.? Besides exercising like fiends what do you have for breakfast, lunch, dinner, Snacks, I have to get back on track. When you have caught yourself gaining what did you do to get back on track. Y'all are all I have. I can't talk to anyone about this at all but you folks. We all started this journey together in December 2012.

I just need some serious help. I don't want to see that fat woman again. Besides I am going on a cruise in November I have got to try and get alot more closer to my goal of 170. Do I have to eat? Can I survive on just Protein Shakes and protein bars Meal Replacements? Please advice.

I am 56, I am 5'8 my goal is to get to 170. I need to lose 60 more lbs. yea I know it's better then 130 like it was.

Maybe I chew to slow. No I don't drink when I eat. But I do sip 10 mins after I eat.

Any advice, thanks y'all.

Janice[/quote']

Janice,

Don't give up. You can do this! It had been very hard work, but I am down 88 pounds. currently im at 171. I do not have problems with anything I eat and it scares me, but I am very conscious of everything I put in my body now. I start each day with a Protein Shake. It is a good way to jump start your protein for the day. Also, exercise is key! Find things you love to do and make time to do them. Surgery is a tool and for some people it works in eliminating bad foods they can eat. If that is not you, you have to find the will in yourself! You can do it. It is hard. During stalls, I have gone to 2 protein shakes a day and Up my water and exercise. Maybe talk to your doctor about doing the per surgery diet again? I lost 20 pounds in the 2 weeks before surgery with the Optifast diet. Good luck! Stay with it!