Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with PCOS? And/or BMI <35?

I was diagnosed with PCOS in October 1996 and have a number of surgeries, medications and a long line of other treatments for this disease. I too struggled with having a regular period and went almost completely absent of any menstruation for 4.5 years. When it came time for me to try and get pregnant there was a lot of discussion about IVF, but my Reproductive Endocrinologist gave me an injection of Ovidrel and I became pregnant 2 weeks later!

I had the band implanted in October 2005 and it has its pros and cons. I have lost approximately 40 pounds since then and it has assisted in controlling my weight gain since I became pregnant. Fortunately, I am 21 weeks pregnant and I have only gained 6 pounds. I have had a number of complications over the last year and a half from the band, but overall I am glad that I did it. I would happy to talk more with you about any of these topics if you are interested. :Banane43: :lol:

Ms. Jaime Z.

Banded: October 27, 2005

Lost to date: 40 lbs.

Current fill level: 1.5 cc (Was 2 cc before pregnancy)

Have you ever been able to lose weight on your own without the band? If so, was it slow to come off?

I noticed that you have lost 14 pounds already and that is great! How do you feel?

Do you have any co-morbidities besides PCOS? Ever had your blood sugar tested for diabetes or insulin resistance?

ELoo, I'm so happy my story helps! I was never able to lose weight on my own, my muscles would tone, but no weight, no inches were lost even through a boot camp program!

I have now, as of this morning (19 days out) lost 19.5 pounds with little excersice (walking but nothing hardcore yet)!

I have had a borrage of blood tests and have never had any issues with bad results but I know I have had blood sugar issues a few times, none since this new lap band diet though! :)

I'm so very glad to have "met" you and wish you the very best on your lap-band journey!! KIT!!

Thats a great start for your weight loss. It gives me hope that even with PCOS losing is possible. Keep me posted on your progress. :)

Hey there: Kick up your feet and stay a while, as you read my PCOS story.

Hello, I'm Tracy... I was first diagnosed with PCOS while undergoing infertility treatment during my early 20's. (Mid 30's now) ..... Period at age 9, Birth Control pills at age 16-18, Married at 18 no birth control, no babies... finally at age 22 I sought treatment. I was told that I had the thyroid of an 80 year old man, and that I had PCOS.. he put me on synthroid for my HYPO-thyroid, and told me that it was just my body type that caused me to have PCOS... no offer of help or anything... just to accept it. Since I had PCOS, I wasn't able to ovulate.. my periods had NEVER been regular except when on birth control pills...... Treatment didn't work: charting, pills, shots... nothing could budge my follicles to pop out any mature eggs..... so I went on with my life, childless.... then fast forward to 1999... I was surfing the net and came accross an article "Losing Weight With an underactive Thyroid" Well, this peaked my interest, and from this article they mentioned Low Carbing and Dr. Atkins..... I was like "What the HECK" is low carbing???? Well anyway, on my lunch break I went to the book store and bought Dr. A's book, I started to read, and read, and read.. and that night I threw away the nasty slim fast, and made myself a bunless cheeseburger.... I had been starving myself on Low Fat Slimfast shakes and GAINING weight....... I would cry because I was hungry and then to get on the scale and actualy GAIN weight... life just wasn't fair..... ok.... so I took dr. A's advice and decided to devote 2 weeks of my life to the diet.... I did... meat, cheese, eggs, and Water.... I started dropping weight like crazy.. 14 lbs during induction.. my husband was shocked... but as the pounds came off and the sizes went down... everyone soon became a believer.

OK...... so, I was about 3-4 months into the program when I realized by looking at my weight chart that my period was starting a pattern of every 28 days... I couldn't believe it.... from the first month my cycles had reset themselves to be just like a regular person!!!! THIS WAS A MIRACLE... my cycles were SO regular that I could set a clock by them... so I suspected that I was ovulating too.... my hopes of being a mom returned.... and BAMM, a few well timed whoopee sessions and I ended up preggo... unfortunately I suffered 3 miscarriages right in a row.

So here I was down 80 lbs, PCOS symptoms were non-existant, and I FINALLY saw the little pink link on a home pregnancy test all with out meds or dr's... but life was unfair and I lost 3 precious babies.... all at about 7-9 weeks... one after I even saw the Heart Beat... that one killed me, and I went into a deep depression.. and I started feeding my sadness with High Carb things... I really feel that I was sabbotaging myself..... Lots of other Life events followed... got caught up in a corporate meger/layoff... so my job of 12 years went bye, bye.. and so did my husband my best friend since age 15.... had replaced me with someone who he said was "just like me" just 10 years younger...... so ok..... divorce, heartbreak, money issues... yada, yada, yada..... life goes on! Get your butt up and live life!...... ok so time passed... I hooked up with a new guy... technically my "rebound" guy from hell.... we both started LC'ng, the wieght had returned and my periods were slipping to sporadic bursts at no particular time.... PCOS had taken it's hold again.... anyway I told him, If I start LC'ng I might end up preggo........ he didn't believe me.... but ONE month after starting to eat right again....

I ended up preggo... and now I have a son who is the light of my life!

April, 2004 I rededicated my eat life to Low Carb.... it may not be for everyone.. but it is what keeps my PCOS in check and I lose weight as a side effect!

Edited August 11, 2005....... my little Low Carb miracle has now turned two years old. It was funny, that during my first Low Carb journey where I had 3 misscarriages.. no one wanted to believe that a formerly infertile woman could get preggers, simply by changing her diet. I had started seeing articles in the Atkins Center magazines for open calls for women with PCOS that had noticed changes in their cycles or had gotten pregnant because of this WOE... I called and told them of my experience.. as so many had done... NOW, in 2005... every PCOS website will lead you to a Low Carb way of eating, also they've developed drugs to help with the symptoms... .I feel proud to have been "IN" on the discovery of this phenom...... you will see LOTS of women popping up pregnant all over the Low Carb Friends website, and many threads where the gals are pregnant and doing a maintenance level of LC'ng to help control the amount of weight they gain during pregnancy.... IT IS AWESOME!

I feel like broadcasting to the world.... I AM FINALLY A MOM!!!!!!!!!

All thanks to the Low Carb way of eating.

2/22/07 A final edit to my LBT friends.... my son is now 3.5 and once again I find myself needing to lose the weight... the band AND LowCarb is my choice.. Low Carb because IT WORKS, and the Band to HELP ME and to MAINTAIN, :clap2:

I am in the same situation. I am 27 y/o with a BMI of 42 and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21. I have not had a regular cycle since I was 19. Even after working with a personal trainer for 3 months, I only lost 2 lbs.

I am scheduled to have my surgery on April 19th. However, my Endocrinologist is totally against it. He is hates the lap-band. I was on 2000 mg of metformin and it still didn't help me lose weight. Oh well...

Hi,

I was diagnosed with PCOS about six years ago. It took quite a few years before that to find a physician who actually believed that there was something wrong with me besides just weight gain. I had my band on Monday and am doing well. In order to get the procedure covered (BMI is 35) my primary care physician and endocrinologist worked with my surgeon. Both wrote letters on my behalf and in the end, the surgeon himself actually spoke to the insurance company. I am glad I persued the surgery, as my PCOS symptoms were getting worse, despite being on large doses of Metformin, etc. Good Luck.

I just wanted to update PCOS readers with my situation! I have now lost 38 lbs. (3 months out) I also recently had another "episode" where I begin a period and don't stop...this one lasted 48 days!! Since I recently moved back to Houston from Oklahoma I didn't have an OBGYN so searched with a vengence about 3 weeks into the period. Everyone was booked up for a month but one office offered me the opportunity to see a Nurse Practitioner in one week and I jumped on it b/c I needed something and I needed it fast as the pain, emotional rollercoaster, and just being 100% drained was taking its toll. I got in to see the nurse and she was great but said I was a unique case and wanted to bring in the Dr. I met Dr. Holt and he told me he was going to do a complete blood workup on me and that I could get pregnant (which I thought was a lost cause). I recieved celebrex from the nurse who said that should stop the bleeding...it didn't but I was super happy to have someone on my side, 9 viles of blood and another week later, I was confirmed with 3 hormones being out of whack and of course PCOS. I recieved meds for the hormones as well as a prenatal multi Vitamin to help my body re-regulate itself and actually release an egg for once giving me the opportunity to get pregnant! I was also given an ultrasound to check things out and they realized blood had pooled outside my uterus causing the significant increase in pain not just in front, but in my lower back as well. I am having surgery tomorrow (5/11/07) to have the ligaments that hold my uterus attached in the right lengths b/c it fell and couldn't get up (heck I'd give out too bleeding for 48 days!) , the pooled blood will be removed, and my ovaries will be lazered to vaporize the cysts. They wanted to get my appendix as well, but I didn't feel it was necassary at this time so I'm passing on that. Either way, I'm very nervous but EXTREMELY excited about the possibilties that lie ahead for me and my husband! Also, as a note, my husband and I began a thorough walk/jog routine since we hit our 3 months out and it feels great!! (sore, but great!) Thank you all again for your support and as always I wish you the best with this lap-band and PCOS fun!

I have PCOS and was banded in Feb 2007. I have lost 30 pds. and hgot my period last month with no medication! Wow that is a first for me.

SeeMeBeMe2: :wow2: You have been through a lot. I'm glad that you were able to find a good doc to treat you.

I was diagnosed with PCOS last May. I don't have the cysts or a lot of the other symptoms but no periods and weight gain. Anyway, I was put on birth control.

2 weeks before banding in March, my surgeon told me to stop taking the pills for a month. Well, my period has come on its own since then. I never went back on the pill. I have a gyn appt coming up next month so I'll see what she says.

I have a lost a little over 5% of my weight. Even with that small amount its doing a body good!!!! :)

I am 31 now and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17. It has been very difficult for me with the weight and pregnacy issues. My husband and I tried to have a baby for five years before we had our son, he is 7 now. After I had him my PCOS seemed to go out of control and I am up to my heaviest weight ever. My surgery date is June 1st and I can't wait. By the way because my periods come and go whenever they want to so I am worried that it will decide to start around my surgery date. Does anyone know if they will still do the surgery if youare on your period?

nvalicia: They sure do - no worries. I was on my period the day of surgery. Just let the OR nurses know and they will put a pad underneath you.Congratulations on your surgery date!!!