Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with PCOS? And/or BMI <35?

I am 30 years old with a BMI of 34. If I decide to go through with the surgery I will be a self pay. Even though I'm not technically overweight enough to have a lapband I feel as though I need to take drastic measures. My mom had a heart attack at 38, has diabetes which has led to kidney disease. She is now only 48 and in poor health. I have a 2 year old and don't want to leave her early. I have the typical apple shape, like my mom, and am borderlining pre-diabetes myself. The other big issue is that I have PCOS and I never have a period on my own. My daughter was conceived after 3 IVF's. Recently, I attempted to have my frozen embyos transferred but none of them survived the thaw and I have decided to not go through anymore rounds of IVF. Can anyone relate to my situation who has a band? Anyone out there had a BMI of <35 and if so what have you results been like? I have never met anyone in the same boat as I when it comes to all this... so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:help:

Hi...

I was diagnoised with PCOS IN 2003, as well as Pre-diabetes. Once diagnoised, I was put on birth control and metformin. I look forward to losing the weight that I believe has caused both of these illnesses. According to both my doctor and surgeon, by losing weight I will greatly increase the chance of prengancy once I am ready. I was also told that back in 2003 but I didn't act on it. I guess as all my friends are getting married and having children, I just hope that it isn't too late. I have not been banded yet, but I will on 2/13. I hope and pray, that I will be able to stick with the plan to health and living.

I wish you the best as you decide what will be best for you..

HI Eloo,

hey..i feel your pain!! i have the same BMI as you do! my heath is getting bad and im 38. this year i have been placed on meds for diabetes,thyroid,high cholestrol,ect. my father died at 52 from diabetes so i was getting to the place in my life where i had to make a choice. i have 2 children and i want to see them grow up! i went to my first appt yesterday and scheduled the surgery Mar 9th. im scared to death...but if i can get off these meds, lose weight i belive my life will be fuller and happy! i am a self pay too...saving the money has been hard but i did it! I cannot give you advice on pre op/post op because i havent been there yet! but ill let you know how it goes for me when it happens. Good luck in your decision...

I am 39 and was only diagnosed 9/06 with PCOS. My understanding is that I have probably had all my life, however since my periods were normal up until recently I was never diagnosed. My is much greater than 34. It was because I was diagnosed with PCOS that I decide to have the Lap band Surgery. Had I not been diagnosed I may not have had it done. Which is what I told my Dr. pre-op. One of the things I learned in my research on PCOS is that in order to stay lean a person PCOS would have to eat 1/2 of the amount that a lean person without PCOS would eat. I figured that I would never be able to do this without help, therefore Lap-band. I just had my surgery on 1/31/07 and plan on working with the "tool" to get to a normal BMI. As for having children what is good about the band is that you can have an unfill if need be during preganancy.

Sorry this may not help much but I understand your frustration with teh PCOS.

Good luck to you and i hope you find answer you need.

Take Care,

Amelia

It helps to know that I am not alone. And anyone with PCOS knows that it is such a struggle to lose weight. Keep me posted on your progress.

SSmith... was the doctor hesitant at all with your BMI only being 34? I go to orientation on the 20th and then see the surgeon on the 27th. Do you know how much you will be paying?

Amelia, do you have any children?

No I do not have any children and I am still single. I am hoping that once I lose weight everything will fall into place man and children. We shall see. Since I am getting older the option of children is becoming slim.

Take care.

My BMI was 35 and I think my results have been fantastic. I've lost 32 kg so that's probably 70 lb or so, its taken me a year to do that. Not the fastest loser on the block but not the slowest either. I have about 15lb more I'd like to lose but like many people, I"m struggling with the last bit.

Being a lower BMI bandster was helpful in that I had not too many health problems yet and I was able to exercise pretty vigorously from the get go. I didnt have to take months just to build base fitness, I already had it.

Like you, my main reason for being banded was preventative. I didnt have the problems YET. I didnt want to ever have them. At 38 I felt it was a good time to take positive measures.

It was truly only a matter of time before I was morbidly obese. The band was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

I've never suffered any fertility or indeed pregnancy related problems so can only offer my sympathy, but no practical advice.

I just thought I would clarify what PCOS is for those that read this thread.

PCOS = Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: It is caused by over production of certain hormones in the females.

Following information from this website: http://www.pcosupport.org/

• Is also known as Stein-Leventhal Syndrome or Polycystic Ovary Disease (PCOD).
  • Affects an estimated 6-10% of all women and most don't even know they have it.
  • Is treatable, but not curable, by medications, changes in diet and exercise.
  • Is one of the leading causes of infertility in women.
  • Has been identified for 75 years and they still aren't sure what causes it.
  • Affects far more than just reproduction.
  • IT IS NOT just a cosmetic problem.

Can include the following symptoms:

• Irregular or absent menses
  • Numerous cysts on the ovaries in many, but not all, cases
  • High blood pressure
  • Acne
  • Elevated insulin levels, Insulin Resistance, or Diabetes
  • Infertility
  • Excess hair on the face and body
  • Thinning of the scalp hair (alopecia)
  • Weight Problems or obesity that is centered around your mid section

Thanks

I am 24 and have been diagnosed with PCOS for a little over 3 years now. I have the multiple cycts (Dr. said I have never released an egg, they stuck as cycts) type and the over-bleeding/cramping kind. My periods last at least 7 days and have lasted over 45 days!! For me the pain and bleeding were the worst until I learned I couldn't concieve. At 21 I was told I only had 4-5 good baby making years left but since I don't release eggs that was dismall. My Dr. also told me my best hope was to lose weight, but that I wouldn't lose "even if I ate 500 calories and ran 5 miles a day." I tried a bunch of meds and exercise, but nothing helped. In the process I found my husband (well, he found me) and with his AMAZING support I have moved forward with my thinking. I decided on the lap band journey so I could eat 500 calories and maybe someday run 5 miles a day, but mostly in the hope that my Dr was wrong. I am losing weight and I see the light at the end of my tunnel. I have read a lot and talked to more about PCOS and know if I stick to my guns with the lap band, I will lose weight and getting down to a "normal" size will help my body re-regulate itself to more normal levels hormonally thus increasing my chances with pregnancy and a healthier happier life.

I was devastated about PCOS but with knowledge and faith I now know it is something I CAN LIVE with. I hope your and everyones journey here with PCOS and weight comes to a "happy" medium.

I HAVE HIGH HOPES!!

I can definately relate to your story! Have you ever been able to lose weight on your own without the band? If so, was it slow to come off? I exercise for 1 hour/day, 4 days a week and have for 4 years now. I didn't lose any weight for adding exercise! My cholesterol and other labs are all normal now and I have a very healthy blood pressure, so I have benefitted in that way. A few times I attempted weight watchers and was very faithful for over 3 months, I didn't cheat once! I only lost 8 pounds adn then couldn't seem to lose anymore. Finally I got sick of being hungry and said "forget it." Losing weight for me is sooooo slow and near impossible. I noticed that you have lost 14 pounds already and that is great! How do you feel? I am looking at March 12th for my surgery and I am going to Mexico since I will be a self pay and it's a lot more affordable.

I NEVER have a period on my own, I always have to take Provera to bring one on, so I never ovulate... therefore, pregnancy has been impossible to acheive on my own. Just so you know, you are not hopeless. If you never get your periods back, which I hope you do, you can likely conceive with IVF (InVitro Fertilization). It is expensive and emotionally draining but I have a beautiful daughter that made it all worth while. Now I just want to be alive to watch her grow up!

Do you have any co-morbidities besides PCOS? Ever had your blood sugar tested for diabetes or insulin resistance? I hope you can write me back...and keep me posted on your progress. I am interested in seeing if someone with PCOS can have good results from the band.

Thanks for sharing your story with me. ELoo:)

MY BMI IS 35 AND I AM SCHEDULED TO HAVE SURGERY ON FEB. 23.:nervous I AM 47 YEARS OLD AND VERY APPLE SHAPED AS YOU STATED. :) I WILL BE HAVING THE SURGERY WITH 2 GREAT FRIENDS THAT ARE HAVING THE SURGERY THE SAME DAY. WE WILL BE EACH OTHERS SUPPORT:D

KEEP IN TOUCH

ELoo,

CONGRATULATIONS! You are on your way.:thumb:

I had my 2 week post op Thursday and had lost 7 pounds since surgery. However I was really sick (nauseated, lightheaded, cold sweats:sick ) and they would not let me leave the office (not related to the band). They wanted to call and ambulance to come and take me to the hospital. After laying in their procedure room for 1 1/2 hours they let me leave, but I had to go and see my PCP. So I called him and made an appointment and went to see him also. He is running test to see what the problem is. PCP did not want me to return to work on Friday so now I will not return to work until Monday. I had to go back to my PCP office Friday for more lab work and I weighed myself again on his scale and I lost another 5 pound over night. So I am down 12 since surgery but 38 over all.:clap2:

Good Luck to you!

I was diagnosed with PCOS last August. I knew it ran in my family and it has always been somewhat of an underlying fear that I would have it as well. I had all the symptoms but just never had a diagnosis. I had been thinking about the band before i was diagnosed, but that is what put me in full gear to have it done. I knew I had to do something and this was the most logical for what I needed. I have not regretted it so far. I think this is the best decision I have made.

My BMI was 35; I had lap band on 2/5/07 and in 10 days, I have lost 13 lbs. I am doing great & am thrilled with results so far! Like you, I had no real health problems YET, but I simply could not seem to lose any more weight, despite regular exercise. (I am 47 yoa). I think the decision is one that you have to make for yourself, based on your own research and consultation with people you trust. Good luck & God bless.