Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I use the merina because after 35 I had periods that were so heavy and so bad - I am pre-surgery - and right now I haven’t had a real period in like 3-4 years - I am thinking about getting an oblation because we are old and I like not having a period -

I still have a cycle - hormones and emotional etc - i just don’t hemorrhage like I used to.

they DO NOT recommend Merina for women who have not had children yet - they will give it to you - but it is NOT recommended.

I have not had children and I tried the Nuvaring. It didn't wok for me, it just super weird and collects - umm material around it. It slides down when you pee.. I've run out of options so I'm doing birth control pills and condoms.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Here's my story in short version:

I had mirena placed 8/2010. RNY surgery 7/30/12. Strings were cut too short so I basically could never feel if I had my mirena in place or not. Never had a period until surgery day. then from there had it monthly. 9/28/12 had my physical and my doc said she could still see the strings. 10/1 I start my period and still on it til 10/31 so went to my GYN. GYN told me that my IUD was not in there anymore. I had expelled it most likely along with some major blood clots I was having. I had another IUD placed but now I don't trust it.

I was told that hormonal changes with weight loss can cause different types of issues. So' date=' in short words, I wouldn't trust any birth control method while losing weight.

surgery date: 7/30/12[/quote']

Hey Silvia, I was thinking that mine had come out, but since I recently came on again, now it's back on the regular Mirena cycle. I also am not depending on it for birth control cause I have my tubes tied. My obgyn just had me get it cause my cycles were so bad. It has worked for that and I was very happy, but if it makes me gain weight then I hope it will fall out :)

SD: 10/10/12, Converted from Lapband to RNY, HW (before band) 263, HW (RNY) 230, Preop 219, after surgery 223, current 201

eye kant spel

abliation (i’m sure it’s spelled wrong again)

it’s where they cauterize your uterus and you don’t get a period for up to 5 yrs - some people get periods - i have a friend who DID get pregnant (at like 45) with this - so it’s not Iron clad - it’s VERY rare to get pregnant with an ablation - but she did and they had a very healthy baby.

I don’t have many complaints about the merina - but i have gained 40ish since I’ve been on it. Should be interesting to see what other suggestions my gyn team make --

:D

eye kant spel

abliation (i’m sure it’s spelled wrong again)

it’s where they cauterize your uterus and you don’t get a period for up to 5 yrs - some people get periods - i have a friend who DID get pregnant (at like 45) with this - so it’s not Iron clad - it’s VERY rare to get pregnant with an ablation - but she did and they had a very healthy baby.

I don’t have many complaints about the merina - but i have gained 40ish since I’ve been on it. Should be interesting to see what other suggestions my gyn team make --

:D

Hold on wait a minute, how far are you out from RNY? I need to talk to my OBGYN ASAP! 40 POUNDS!!

SD: 10/10/12, Converted from Lapband to RNY, HW (before band) 263, HW (RNY) 230, Preop 219, after surgery 223, current 201

ok preop i’m 100 more than you - if you just look at % - I am SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than you - and - I did gain about 2 yrs after I went on the merina - weight gain is NOT a side effect listed by the manufacturer - but you can ask 20 people and get 20 different responses - I have 2 good friends on it and neither appear to have gained (OR LOST) since on the merina -

Now - on the flip - I used to hemorrhage - think bleed through 3-4 pads in an hour - which is when they think you misscarry - it was impossible to work (i own my own business) and basically I wouldn’t work for the few days when I had my periods - I used to get very bad cramps - in 3 yrs (it might be 4) I haven’t had a cramp - AT ALL - I’m a bitch during my cycle - but really zero cramps...

Now - I get that icky nuisance bleeding - rarely ever a clot or any kind of big bleed - I am not fond of weight gain - but I’m ok with that as a trade off for the excessive bleeding. The last few months I didn’t even get that - but last week my psudo period was back.

I gained 13% body weight on the merina - over 3 yrs - I also had some excessively stressful years at the same time - so I can’t definitively say I gained with the merina - or i gained with HUGE ASS life stuff -

I’ve seen some online forums that vilify Merina - and for me - it works - now - post surgery - and I don’t loose all the weight I’m supposed to - I am open to pulling the Merina and trying albation - but right now I have so much on my plate - I’d rather not screw with one more thing --

JUST MY OPINION - I am neither a medical expert - nor do i play one on tv -

Good luck with your decision - for me - it’s worry free - and I like it - on the pill I get high blood pressure - and/but without Merina I had high blood pressure - technically I’m 200 lbs overweight - for what the charts say I should weigh - so who the hell knows....

ok preop i’m 100 more than you - if you just look at % - I am SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than you - and - I did gain about 2 yrs after I went on the merina - weight gain is NOT a side effect listed by the manufacturer - but you can ask 20 people and get 20 different responses - I have 2 good friends on it and neither appear to have gained (OR LOST) since on the merina -

Now - on the flip - I used to hemorrhage - think bleed through 3-4 pads in an hour - which is when they think you misscarry - it was impossible to work (i own my own business) and basically I wouldn’t work for the few days when I had my periods - I used to get very bad cramps - in 3 yrs (it might be 4) I haven’t had a cramp - AT ALL - I’m a bitch during my cycle - but really zero cramps...

Now - I get that icky nuisance bleeding - rarely ever a clot or any kind of big bleed - I am not fond of weight gain - but I’m ok with that as a trade off for the excessive bleeding. The last few months I didn’t even get that - but last week my psudo period was back.

I gained 13% body weight on the merina - over 3 yrs - I also had some excessively stressful years at the same time - so I can’t definitively say I gained with the merina - or i gained with HUGE ASS life stuff -

I’ve seen some online forums that vilify Merina - and for me - it works - now - post surgery - and I don’t loose all the weight I’m supposed to - I am open to pulling the Merina and trying albation - but right now I have so much on my plate - I’d rather not screw with one more thing --

Good luck with your decision - for me - it’s worry free - and I like it - on the pill I get high blood pressure - and/but without Merina I had high blood pressure - technically I’m 200 lbs overweight - for what the charts say I should weigh - so who the hell knows....

If you google mirena and gastric bypass u will see a lot of people saying the same thing.

I have not had children and I tried the Nuvaring. It didn't wok for me' date=' it just super weird and collects - umm material around it. It slides down when you pee.. I've run out of options so I'm doing birth control pills and condoms.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk[/quote']

Kiwi I'm so glad I've got my 5 children, so I'm good on other birth control methods :)

Ok so I see what your saying.....I need to look at the overall benefit that I gain from it and talk to my doctor to see if we feel as if is a hindrance to my weight loss. I know that when I went in to get my Mirena I was 202 with the lapband, and after 4months I ballooned to 230, and from that point on I could not get the weight off. That then lead me to struggles with my band and I ended considering RNY, and I was approved then shortly after went through the process. The only thing is that I never thought that the weight gain could have come from the Mirena until recently.

So I'm gonna google this topic some more.

Thanks soooo much for sharing. Oh and I loved the I'm not an expert! Lol

If you google mirena and gastric bypass u will see a lot of people saying the same thing.

Kiwi that is exactly what I am going to do, thanks so much :)

I have not had children and I tried the Nuvaring. It didn't wok for me' date=' it just super weird and collects - umm material around it. It slides down when you pee.. I've run out of options so I'm doing birth control pills and condoms.

You should check out implanon, its an implant in your arm.

The hormones from the mirena and the change in hormones from weight loss will change your cycles. So, you have to go through a few weird cycles before you get a pattern again.

I wouldn't get it taken out. I got mine taken out And the hormones and all... ovulated 2 eggs and now prego with twins!

The hormones from the mirena and the change in hormones from weight loss will change your cycles. So' date=' you have to go through a few weird cycles before you get a pattern again.

I wouldn't get it taken out. I got mine taken out And the hormones and all... ovulated 2 eggs and now prego with twins!

Girl your funny with that twins comment. I have my tubes tied so I better not have that problem. Lol

SD: 10/10/12, Converted from Lapband to RNY, HW (before band) 263, HW (RNY) 230, Preop 219, after surgery 223, CURRENT... 199 YIPPEE :) ONEDERLAND

Photochic- I am convinced! I dont trust BC anymore either. Im getting my tubes tied as well! Did you have any complications or weird side effects?