Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Days Post-Op Question

Hi everyone. Had rny on thurs. Nov 8th. When my surgeon stopped by on friday she said "remember Clear Liquids only". Heres my problem. The only information i found regarding post op diets i have found online. The wls clinic i go to has not gone over that yet. Due to the research I've done myself i understand the stages...clear..full liquid..soft..etc. my follow up visit with my surgeon isnt until Nov 27th. So is she expecting me to be clear liquid only until the 27th? Or should i go by what ive learned online. Which is full liquid 3days post-op? Thank you:)

Hi everyone. Had rny on thurs. Nov 8th. When my surgeon stopped by on friday she said "remember clear liquids only". Heres my problem. The only information i found regarding post op diets i have found online. The wls clinic i go to has not gone over that yet. Due to the research I've done myself i understand the stages...clear..full liquid..soft..etc. my follow up visit with my surgeon isnt until Nov 27th. So is she expecting me to be clear liquid only until the 27th? Or should i go by what ive learned online. Which is full liquid 3days post-op? Thank you:)

You should call and ask. I went to full liquids when I left the hospital and soft foods after my one week post op.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using RNYTalk

Hi there surgery sister. I had mine last Thursday also. My surgeon said the most important thing is hydration right now. I've been on a combo of clear and full and am doing pretty well. Can you call your surgeons offices and ask a nurse there? I was having some lightheadedness and was told to up the Water a bit. They were happy to answer me so try that before you go off on own mission.

Hello thanks for the replies. I was planning on calling tomorrow. I was starting to get cravings (not that im really hungry or anything) so i thought it might be my body telling me that maybe i should start working on some full liquids

Let us know what they say. It's funny how all surgeons are different. I see my nutritionist Thursday. I have allot of questions for her, lol.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using RNYTalk

Hello BrianneP - I too was on full liquids when I left the hospital so that I could get my Protein via Protein Shakes. This is the first time I've heard someone as being on clear liquids for such a long time. How are you suppose to get your protein in with clear liquids? Although I will say my surgeon told me it's more important the first 2 weeks to get fluids in versus keeping my protein level up. She said if I can only do one, do Water so I'm hydrated. Every bariatric group is different though. I would highly recommend calling your bariatric center's nutritionist. They can help more than the surgeon in most cases, when it comes to eating/drinking. Good luck!

Mine said clear for a week then full for a week before I move to purée. I found unjury chicken Soup, strawberry drink and unflavored powdered to help get Protein and liquids. They taste pretty good.

I finally called and got the ok for full liquids! Woohoo! :D

I can't have full liquids until Friday:( This is the hardest thing I have ever done. It has been a very emotional day for me. All I want to do is cry! I Haven't lost anything except what they put in me during surgery. When will it start to come off. I may be getting 100 cals in a day. So very hard to drink when everything tastes awful. Please any suggestions.

I can't have full liquids until Friday:( This is the hardest thing I have ever done. It has been a very emotional day for me. All I want to do is cry! I Haven't lost anything except what they put in me during surgery. When will it start to come off. I may be getting 100 cals in a day. So very hard to drink when everything tastes awful. Please any suggestions.

Hey Seattle, I'm sorry things are not going well for you. I agree that full liquids is tough, but please hang in there. I too had issues with losing. My problem was Constipation, once that got under control the losing began. Keep us posted on how your doing. You may not be drinking enough calories to lose weight. I was told that by people here, so I just made sure I was drinking my slim at shakes. Can you have the Protein shakes?

SD: 10/10/12, Converted from Lapband to RNY, HW (before band) 263, HW (RNY) 230, Preop 219, after surgery 223, current 203