Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To This Forum...i Was On Vertical Sleeve Talk But Dr Said No.

Hi, I went for my first appt today to meet with WLS surgeon. I was trying to go for the Vertical Sleeve but I have GERD that causes Vocal Chord Disorder. The Doctor said that I can't have the sleeve or band because of that. I am actually happy about it. I originally wanted to get the bypass anyway. My family was pushing for the other surgeries because they think they are safer. I have been doing the research and I see a lot of people who have had to get revisions to RNY anyway. I am excited to get started on the changes that I need to make. My insurance requires a 3 mth supervised diet so I am going to use that time to work on my lifestyle changes ahead of time. I look forward to getting to know all of you here and am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Congratulations! I have my last doctor visit on 1 November then submit to insurance!

Welcome!

Welcome. The three months will go by faster than you can imagine and it is a good time to start some new and lifetime changes and habits. I started taking Vitamins regularly for one thing. The nutritionist will want food logs, and writing down what you eat and how much, does give you pause to what you are putting into your body.

I had the band seven years ago. I never lost more than about 30 pounds and have gained that and more back and forth back and forth, Now I am at the same weight as then. And none of my medical problems were every helped. I am having a revision from band to RNY on November 7. I wish I had done this in the first place, but like your family I thought it was to drastic but it is what i needed. So now I will do what I should have done and hopefully add some good years to my life. Wishing you the best and so glad you are here.

Thanks everyone! I have my journal ready to go for my 3 mth plan. I have been taking daily Vitamins for years so it won't be a big deal for me to do that. I will just need to switch to liquid ones. I am also on 9 different RX's that I am hoping to get off of. My biggest dream is to take an ax to my CPAP machine. I HATE that thing!..lol.

The first things I am going to work on are actually USING my recumbant bike :) Starting a daily walking plan. Eliminating Soda and Caffiene. Cutting down and eventually getting off of all NSAIDS. Not drinking at the same time as eating and doing breathing exercises with Oxycise.

I know this is a lot but I work at home so I can work it around my office work. I am very blessed in that area.

What a fantastic Plan. I am taking notes. I am on so many meds and so much insulin. And a BiPap too. Oh I want to feel better so badly.

Thanks Vicki, Hang in there. We will get thru this together on here. :)

Hi' date=' I went for my first appt today to meet with WLS surgeon. I was trying to go for the Vertical Sleeve but I have GERD that causes Vocal Chord Disorder. The Doctor said that I can't have the sleeve or band because of that. I am actually happy about it. I originally wanted to get the bypass anyway. My family was pushing for the other surgeries because they think they are safer. I have been doing the research and I see a lot of people who have had to get revisions to RNY anyway. I am excited to get started on the changes that I need to make. My insurance requires a 3 mth supervised diet so I am going to use that time to work on my lifestyle changes ahead of time. I look forward to getting to know all of you here and am happy to answer any questions you may have.[/quote']

Hey only three months for insurance, that awesome because for most people it's 6 months.

Surgery date October 10, 2012

Hi Photochic, How did your surgery go? I am excited and nervous about this at the same time. I had a hysterectomy so I figure this will be better than that was or at least about the same.

Hi' date=' I went for my first appt today to meet with WLS surgeon. I was trying to go for the Vertical Sleeve but I have GERD that causes Vocal Chord Disorder. The Doctor said that I can't have the sleeve or band because of that. I am actually happy about it. I originally wanted to get the bypass anyway. My family was pushing for the other surgeries because they think they are safer. I have been doing the research and I see a lot of people who have had to get revisions to RNY anyway. I am excited to get started on the changes that I need to make. My insurance requires a 3 mth supervised diet so I am going to use that time to work on my lifestyle changes ahead of time. I look forward to getting to know all of you here and am happy to answer any questions you may have.[/quote']

Welcome. Ask questions because I'm pretty sure someone will have an answer.

Hi Photochic' date=' How did your surgery go? I am excited and nervous about this at the same time. I had a hysterectomy so I figure this will be better than that was or at least about the same.[/quote']

Hey Kathy, my surgery went well. I was a lapband person who did a revision to bypass. I was told that the actual surgery took 2 1/2 hrs. But that's understandable considering they were converting from one to another. I'm taking it slow and I'm on the purred foods which is fine as well. As long as I don't do too much I'm fine. I really am trying I be careful because I don't want to deal with the dumping syndrome. Anyway keep us posted on how your progressing.

Surgery date October 10, 2012

Thanks everyone! I have my journal ready to go for my 3 mth plan. I have been taking daily Vitamins for years so it won't be a big deal for me to do that. I will just need to switch to liquid ones. I am also on 9 different RX's that I am hoping to get off of. My biggest dream is to take an ax to my CPAP machine. I HATE that thing!..lol.

The first things I am going to work on are actually USING my recumbant bike :) Starting a daily walking plan. Eliminating Soda and Caffiene. Cutting down and eventually getting off of all NSAIDS. Not drinking at the same time as eating and doing breathing exercises with Oxycise.

I know this is a lot but I work at home so I can work it around my office work. I am very blessed in that area.

Ok I have you to thank for a very sore belly today LOL, I just had to look up Oxycise last night. And that lead me to several you tube videos for proper breathing and deep breathing ect. I did so many deep breaths and diaphragmatic breathing that I feel like I did a million sit ups last night. I knew your plan was good. I am still doing the deep breathing today even though it hurts a bit. But I want these lungs in top shape for surgery. And my lungs are never in top shape.

Hope you are having a great day.

Vicki you have me rolling...lol. I know...that Oxycise really works. I saw an infomercial for it years ago and bought the program. It works your abs better than crunches! Be sure to measure your waist. You will be shocked how many inches it will take off. I am doing it to get my lungs in shape too. I also have the asthma issues and sleep apnea. It should help us to get rid of those faster too.

That's sounds like my kind of work out. I checked out Oxycise on You Tube and ordered the dvd. I have one more Nutrition visit in two weeks to complete my 3 month diet requirement. I hope to have a new tummy for the holidays!!