Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pbing to much?

How much is to much. I am pbing around 1 or 2 times a week. It is always about the 5th bite ,i can tell it is not going down and if it does not come up ,i will slime then pb. Some times i also have pain with this. Now i blame myself for this, know it is because i got something stuck due to not chewing good enough or taking too big of a bite. It's like i cant remember that sometimes untill it is to late. I have never pb after eating too much, i stop eating when i feel full. I know i need to chew better and i try to and i have many meals that go down fine. I am only losing about 1 lb a week so i dont think i am to tight. i was banded on aug 24 2006 and have lost 34lbs so far. Do you think i am pbing to much what should i do about it?

I have pb'd every day some weeks and the most I've gone is maybe two weeks without. my band is so fickle i never know what will go when and it changes every day. i'm thankful my band hasn't slipped and wish i could be one of those who never pb but it's not the case.

I know my Dr. ( Ortiz) would be concerned if I was Pbing every day for weeks or if I was pbing 1-2 times a week. I only pb'd 6 times in 18 months and lost over 100 lbs. Pbing too often is not good forthe longevity of the band, your esaphagus or your weight loss. Consult your doctor, see what hisfeeling is on PBing, I can only speak for my own Dr.'s feelings on it and if I was pbing every day he would definately want me in for a slight unfill

1-2 times a week is very little PBing. You should be okay and resume losing weight at that rate. I would be more concerned if you PB'd every day or several times a day.

I started PB'ing too much and ended up in the hospital earlier this week. Thank God I haven't slipped but my stomach was swollen so much that it sealed off my band. I was in overnight and now am on Clear Liquids for a week etc. I know now the danger that I put myself in. Please be careful.

:) I was banded on Jan 19th. I have been adding different things back to my diet this week and have been PBing at least every day. I am having a hard time reading the fullness and what I can eat more of and what I can have 3-4 small bites. It gets stuck and then I spit up nothing but liquids. I guess it is not coming from my stomach. Today I coughed after I had some applesauce and some of it came out.

When you get a fill does this get worse? I cannot image eating less than I am now. I got full this morning with one scrambled egg. That just amazed me.

Rene'

I am currently going to a new doctor because of my PB's. I can PB 2-4 times in one meal. I also PB more then once a day. The strange part is other times I feel like I have no restriction at all. Two nights ago one drink of milk had me running to the bathroom. I am tried of always having to be with in eye shot of a bathroom.

I am currently going to a new doctor because of my PB's. I can PB 2-4 times in one meal. I also PB more then once a day. The strange part is other times I feel like I have no restriction at all. Two nights ago one drink of milk had me running to the bathroom. I am tried of always having to be with in eye shot of a bathroom.

When I am tight and try to eat any type of meat it results in a PB. Then I find myself eating safer things but they are still high in calories. I just wish I could eat the meat. I miss it more than the bread and Pasta. If I add gravy sometimes I can get meat to go but that adds calories too.

I am loose right now and chicken from the crock pot stuck so I just put it in Soup and it went. But we should be able to eat whole foods. I get very frustrated.

Forgot to mention. If I eat out with my family they watch me and make me anxious and then I for sure pb on something. I always find the bathroom location as soon as I enter the restraunt.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I had my band done Aug. 2007 and I have lost 80 pounds. I am stuck right now. I am also PBIng way too much. The crazy part is as I go through the 6 to 8 weeks before my next visit. I find I cannot eat as much once a month goes by. I am going to call my doctor tomorrow and get in a quick visit and have some fill removed.

I tend to eat too fast which doesn't give enough time to chew my food well. Once I start PBing it can go on for many hours. My doctor always says I am just too tight. It can be painful too.

Thanks for the motivation to call my doctor and have some fill taken out.

Hi everyone, I believe I was the QUEEN of pbing. I had my surgury the end of September and had two fills by December. I was doing great, I was able to eat two to three ounces of filet mignon, some broccoli with cheese sauce, tiny bit of baked potatoe...I was in heaven. I could eat anything and everything, just not a lot of it. Then I was scared with Christmas holiday food, so I had another fill. Oh My God......from that day forward I pb'ed every day, I was sliming every day....I was miserable. I went for an unfil and my Dr. said I was at the perfect spot, but I begged for some Fluid out. He reluctently took out half a cc. I still was unable to keep much down, still pbing and sliming. I went to primary doctor, and had him order singular. That was great because it stopped the sliming. Yeah, I thought. I still was pbing but only 4 times a week. But i was still unable to eat like i was in december. I began eatting all the slider foods, I did not gain any weight, but I was not enjoying my food. I had this surgury to enjoy food, just not so much of it. So off to the doctor I went, and told him I was fed up, needed help and asked for a total unfill. He unfilled me for two weeks and I was in heaven, I could eat everything and anything....and I had Portion Control. I went back for a fill twice since then and am able to eat more than I was in December, but i am not pbing, vomiting or sliming. I think i need a slight fill, because I am not loosing, but I am not doing an ounce of exercising, so I should not be losing. PLEASE if you are pbing even once a week you are to tight.......please talk to your doctor. It took me four to five months of hell, being afraid to eat, not eating, vomiting throwing up.....and for what.....to get sick.....never never again,,,,,go for a unfill....you can always put the fill in again...I am enjoying all the food groups in moderation...which is why we had this surgury to begin with. By the way what happens when you pb, or vomit your stomach becomes inflammed and swollen, so if you are pbing or vomiting daily, it will not get better by itself, it needs time to heal.....get an unfil and enjoy life again...Oh yeah and by the way, when i was pbing all the time, i did not lose one pound because i could not get in seven hundred calories a day......and most of the calories were from non diet drinks.....you can email me any questions and i will be happy to answer them for you

I urge anyone who is PBing, sliming or having stuck issues to get an unfill. There are many interesting articles about having your band unfilled to use the band to its best advantage. I also had my band filled too tight and was miserable. Getting my band unfilled was the best thing I ever did. My weight loss will slow somewhat, but I am totally OK with that. I actually want to enjoy the food I eat and not fight with it. Just my .02

I've had my band for 12 years and that sounds about normal to me. I spent my wedding reception in the toilet after one such incident. Not chewed enough tend to be what the problem is for me, but as a few other have pointed out, the band can be an unpredictable mistress. Try not to let yourself get too hungry. We tend to bolt our food at the moments. I wish you luck. I have had periods where I have thrown up every meal...

Hello,

I had my surgery 4/16/09 and started out with a 2cc fill. At this point I was already PBing and sliming during the first 6 weeks of banding. It felt like anything I ate was stuck in my throat, yet I was also always hungry.

I had a doctor appt on 5/26. I told my doc what was going on, but that I was also hungry all the time. He decided to give me a 1cc fill.

I now find myself PBing several times a meal with every meal. I am so tired of going into the bathroom to either slime or vomit, especially when out to dinner with family and friends. It's obvious to everyone that I'm puking. I'm pretty much in the position of having to enviously watch everyone else enjoy their meal and wishing I was able to eat even just a few bites of whatever is on my plate. Keeping a cup of food down without sliming, PBing or vomiting would be an unspeakable joy!!! No doubt everyone (including me) is wondering what in hell have I done to myself with this surgery.

Sure I love the weight loss, but I am also keenly aware that I am probably on the verge of serious malnutrition.

This isn't what I signed up for!!!

Edited by vayiayia

I agree, if you are PB'ing, you need to go for an unfill even if it is only slight. I have only had 2 fills and went back right after the second and had .5 removed because I immediately knew the following day I was too tight. I only lose 1-2 pounds a week, but I can eat easily if I take small bites and chew well and I can eat most anything without a problem. At first after the second fill, there were things I could not eat. I like it much better now with less restriction. I still get full quite quickly yet I don't have to worry about getting sick no matter what I eat. I think it's the head hunger that causes banded people to have slow weight loss anyway and being too tight only tends to make people lean towards slider foods which slow or stop weight loss.