Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Off The Wagon At Only 7 Month!

I am only 7 months post op and I'm already fallen off the wagon. I need back to basics already. I have constant cravings for chocolate. I can and do eat everything I did before surgery (smaller portions, but not the healthiest choices). I think I need some motivation or maybe a reminder from you all of why we all did this in the first place. I just got back from vacation (nice time, but was at my worset with diet). I plan on starting tomarrow a one week liquid diet to detox, but I still need the motivation to keep it going. If u have words of wisdom, please help!!! Thanks Jessica

While I am only 5 days post op all I can think is after having done this much hard work and going through this much pain you/your body deserve to be healthy once and for all! Indulgences can be a great motivator for staying ON the wagon, but if you have guilt afterwards that is a good sign of over indulgence! Did you keep any pre-surgery clothing? Or pictures? Take at good look at them an decide of the food is worth the risk of losing all that progress :/

Good luck! The strength is within you, just need to realize your potential!!!!

I believe only half of our battle is weight loss, food portions and exercise the other half is in our heads. We have used food to Celebrate, relax, comfort and love ourself. Most of this comes from lack and pain suffered in our lives and food filled the empty hole. You need to remind yourself everyday that you are worth more than cake, chips, pizza, candy etc. your health is worth fighting for and guilt, depression and self-loathing never has and never will solve this issue. Isn't this the cycle of the past that got you to the point of surgery? So it starts with little choices, today instead of feeling guilty over vacation eating when that old voice rises up to condemn say to that voice-- out loud if you need to I am going to fight for my health, I am starting over today. Then make a good choice for the food in front of you at that moment. If that oldvoice keeps rising up distract it. Turn on music, take a walk, read a book, visit a friend. Rejoice immediatly when you do well, don't anticipate failure by not planning ahead--plan your meals ahead and find something to do to not get bored. You've gotten 7 months into this and have undoubtedly been successful at losing!!! Rejoice over your success, maybe you have to regroup at this point thats not failure, it's just refining the process for success. You will succeed and we are here to support you with love! Thanks for being so honest with your feelings.

It sounds like you've got your head going in the right direction. I think it's a good idea to liquid detox. Post a pre picture on the fridge, on your phone, and in your wallet (for those times you are tempted to buy junk). Good luck and stay strong!

I think I would start journaling my food again to see where your going wrong.

Don't be afraid to pick yourself up dust off and chase that wagon down to climb back on!

Good luck!

Here are some thoughts:

• As tp100 said, a food diary/log/journal is such a powerful tool in so many different ways. I've maintained one since Dec 7 of last year and fully intend to do so for life. I know as exactly as humanly possible what my average daily numbers have been for calories, fats, carbs, Protein and more. On any given day, I know exactly where I am at for all of those values at any time of the day. If I'm a little low on protein - I know it. If I'm a little high on carbs, fats or calories - I know it. And most importantly, I can make minor adjustments to correct. Research has repeatedly shown that folks who maintain a food log or food diary lose more weight and are more successful at maintaining their goal weight. There are tons of apps out there that you can download to your phone. My Fitness Pal is highly recommended by those who use it as is Spark People. I have used Tap and Track Pro on my iPhone since last year.
  • You have to have realistic expectations. For example, my wife and I are planning a five day Las Vegas trip in late November. I won't be going "crazy" but I fully expect my calorie intake (and all the other numbers) to increase. And I'm totally OK with that. I'll be losing two or three pounds prior to our trip and if I gain five or six pounds, it's not the end of the world.
  • There are a number of pretty tasty chocolocate substitutes - sugar free fudgsicles, Sugar Free Chocolate pudding, even chocolate Protein Shakes. You might want to try King's Cupboard Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Chunk hot chocolate - 61 calories per serving and delicious! My wife mixes it in her coffee.< br>
  • I know you've heard it before but it's all about life style changes - what I call The Prime Directive. You might find some helpful ideas in my post at
    http://www.rnytalk.c...rime-directive/ . Life style changes are about control, not denial.
  • Managing hunger has also been important for me -
    http://www.rnytalk.c...__fromsearch__1
  • Once you've completed your liquid diet clense, shift your focus to protein, protein, and more protein. Try to get 100g a day. Increasing your protein will often jump start your metabolism and cause your body to start burning stored fuel. I have an Excel file of high protein grocery store and fast food menu items that I have emailed to dozens of folks on the forum. Forum rules do not allow me to post the file but if you post or PM me your email, I'd be glad to send it to you.

Everyone runs into bumps in the road. All is not lost. You just need to remember your "why". And then it's just a matter of fine tuning your "how". Take a deep breath and try to relax a little. There are so many great folks on this forum and we're all here to help!! You're going to be just fine!

You can go look at my pre-op picture, or I can take a pic of my belly and send it to you.

Lol in a silly mood

I am only 7 months post op and I'm already fallen off the wagon. I need back to basics already. I have constant cravings for chocolate. I can and do eat everything I did before surgery (smaller portions' date=' but not the healthiest choices). I think I need some motivation or maybe a reminder from you all of why we all did this in the first place. I just got back from vacation (nice time, but was at my worset with diet). I plan on starting tomarrow a one week liquid diet to detox, but I still need the motivation to keep it going. If u have words of wisdom, please help!!! Thanks Jessica[/quote']

Hey

Most people in my support group said Hungar kicks in at 6 months and they are able to eat regular food, but if you have a good exercise schedule it keeps weight off and it makes you think about your food choices and how many calories you have to burn.

Hey

Most people in my support group said Hungar kicks in at 6 months and they are able to eat regular food' date=' but if you have a good exercise schedule it keeps weight off and it makes you think about your food choices and how many calories you have to burn.[/quote']

I'll let you know in 3 months if my hunger kicks in.

I really appreciate everyone's help! I'm gonna do my one week Liquid Protein diet and start tracking my food again. I do 3 exercise classes A week but I'm going to aim for 4. Thanks for the just pick yourself up angle rather than the how could you let yourself go tactic. Thanks again for your support!