Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Dr. Spiegel patients

I also was banded in June and have had all my fills at the surgicenter. I didn't mind his lack of office staff because I didn't have to deal with them.

That is all changed now. He does the fills, either at the office or the surgicenter. I have mine scheduled for Monday at his office. My history is a little different than others. I have problems with my fills and react to them 6-10 days after. If his policy is to unfill completely after 3 days from a fill, I will be unfilled quickly.

I plan on spending some time with him. I asked for an extended office visit. We'll see. I doubt I get it. He is understaffed and the ones there don't give out good information. He is a teriffic surgeon, but that's it. I'm still glad I had my surgery by him because I feel he is the best. I knew that aftercare would be a issue.

There is another thread on here that went into more detail about all the issues with him and his office. Lapband surgery is the only one where we expect to be with the surgeon through an entire process. If it was heart surgery or knee surgery the surgeon would do limited after care and we would be released. Not so with lapband.

I'll post my experience Monday after I go see him.

Some people have done just fine with Spiegel, but my primary care physcian threw his arms up in the shape of a cross when I mentioned his name. I live 20 minutes from spiegel;s port neches office....lots of people with problems around here.

Michele 2.14.07

Dr. Spivak ( My Valentine)

Houston

I live in Port Neches and am a nurse in an area hospital,he does not have a very good reputation around here :phanvan

I really think his problem is too many patients. I believe he is a good surgeon. Its the aftercare that suffers. I coined the phrase "cattle call" to refer to his office. Its herd em in and herd em out. They don't give good information and they are not helpful.

If the fill policy gets to be too much for me then I'll find someone else for aftercare. Its a shame, but that's reality.

Again - when my co worker got there they gave her some papers. I wish now I would have read them before I left - but Barbara465 you should get the same papers. Just post what they say so we will know before. There is also so information on fills so that you can be prepared before going on another site - like eating, drinking, beint TOM, etc. They say these all play factors in your fill - Some have reported of not feeling any restriction for 2 weeks. I don't know. I picked Dr. Spiegel because of his surgery skills and not his aftercare. I felt like I could deal with those later. I can be rude right back if I have to (hopefully it won't get that way!!).

Barbara, could you please put surgicenter's info in your sig-line(or profile?). I've tried 'finding' YOU to find the info - and boy, what an aggravating situation!

I was banded by Spiegel back in July of 04. I liked HIM - due to my 'consultation' - which was the one and only time I met and talked with him. Didnt put my eyes on him till the day AFTER my surgery. ((gee, hope he was the one who placed my band :).))

His office staff is **HELLISH**... always has been!

Looks like things havent changed.

The day after my surgery, when he came into my room to discharge me, I unloaded on him about his horrific office staff.

he looked shocked. :omg:

Anyway, if you are looking for experience, then he's the man! He's #1 for expereince.

But...

His office staff doesnt do a cotton-pickin-thing, so YOU will be the one to get your insurance moving.

If you are looking for better after-care, then keep looking.

By the way, Im having some slight band-related issues. First time in my near 3 years of banded life. I called his office yesterday and talked to a *obviously* unexperienced office worker -who claims to be banded.

duhhhhh.....

I think I'll get better answers/results from my 6yr old.

NurseAmy,

Can I ask if you did insurance or self-pay? My insurance will pay for the more RNY but not LapBand. I have a friend in the medical field and she seems pro-Ruen Y. She shared some "info" with me, but I'm skeptical. My husband is scared of the more invasive approach, but I don't know if we can afford the LapBand out-of-pocket. I visited Spivak, and I liked him a lot, but right away his assistant at the desk told me that he doesn't take my insurance. (Bummer).

What made you decide to go with Spivak?

NurseAmy,

Can I ask if you did insurance or self-pay? My insurance will pay for the more RNY but not LapBand. I have a friend in the medical field and she seems pro-Ruen Y. She shared some "info" with me, but I'm skeptical. My husband is scared of the more invasive approach, but I don't know if we can afford the LapBand out-of-pocket. I visited Spivak, and I liked him a lot, but right away his assistant at the desk told me that he doesn't take my insurance. (Bummer).

What made you decide to go with Spivak?

I was self pay.I had heard nothing but good things about Dr Spivak and that is why I went with him.I have had nothing but positive experiences so far.So I believe I made the right choice!

Hey y'all

I'm looking for any one else out there whose been banded by Dr. Spiegel of Houston Texas. Or any one who's had to deal w/ his staff. I have some questions and would like to see if other people had the same experiance w/ him and his staff that I have. Look forward to hearing back from y'all soon

Hello RB07,

I was just banded on Friday the 18th of May. My experience with Dr. Spiegel as a surgeon was great, but I have had problems with his office staff. They don't seem to know what they are doing and cost me quite a bit of money in the run-up to my procedure (I'm a self-pay). After reading some of the comments from others who have been dealing with him since their procedure, I'm a tad nervous about the follow ups.

Hammer

Well I was band from him as well and he really is no help..at all. he is at 1st but after you have it done.. he is NO help at all.. I had alot of problems with my port where the cut wasnt closeing it to a long time to heal I keep calling and calling but NO help only one that would help where the girls in front but they couldnt really help me with this since it was still a open cut. well it findly healed but the scar is ugly.. its bigger on one side then the other so i wasnt happy with that

I too go to the Physicians surgery center for my fill and they are very nice , and exlpain anything that needs to be. I will never regreat having him do it. just should have look to see how the after care was going to be cause in my eyes.. after its done you go for ONE VIST to see him and he just checks tummy after that your on your own... So make sure you pick a doctor that will make sure u have good after care.. cause this is a life thing so if something ever go's wrong u want to make sure you have someone who is alway's going to be lookin after you..

Texasbrat =)

That's why I cxld my surgery with him (his staff is horrible) - I found Dr. Spivak and love him. Spiegel - I am not so sure about.

I was banded by Dr. Hadar Spivak.. He is wonderful. His staff too.

Prior to Spivak, I was getting the approval thru Spiegel. He & his office are very unprofessional.. It's like they are herding cattle thru there.. It's so riduculous. If you want to feel like a number, that's the place to go.

They have no bedside manner and the staff they don't care or even act like they care about you or if you get approved. That was the worst medical facility that I've ever been to. I've seen low income clinics that are better staffed and organized than they are. My momma always said that If I don't have anything good to say about someone to keep my mouth shut.. So, on that note- I'll end for now. :eek:

Hey guys I was banded by Dr. Spiegel in December of '04. I have lost 95lbs since and I am working on losing more. I have had a great experience with Dr. Spiegel and both him and the staff have made changes to benefit his patients. When you come in for a fill you have your own appointment. It is no longer something you call a "cattle call". We have had a great response here in our Port Neches office. I have been to the Houston office several times since and the patients that I have spoken too have had possitive comments about their follow-up visits. We help our patients as much as we can to get insurance approvals and also with follow-up care. I really enjoy my job and it makes me and my co-workers very happy when we get patients approved for surgery. We also have our monthly support groups were we try to help our fellow bandsters with any problems they may have. If anyone has any questions please e-mail us. Our e-mail addresses are on our website. The seminar dates are updated weekly. If you have a medical question please do not hesitate to call the office. Lulu

The only experience I have had is that my insurance denied me at first...requiring a one on one call with the dr. His staff refused to allow this saying that he was too busy. I have appealed with a different dr. and will not use Dr. Speigel if I am approved.

Hi there - I was just banded by Dr. Speigel so I don't have alot experience yet with him or the staff. I chose him because he had done the greatest number of lapband surgeries, not for the followup.

I am planning to try out his office for follow-up help, and also use this and the UGH board for the support. What's your experience been? feel free to PM.

MM