Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Little Discouraged :(

Today I had my body composition test done and met with a doctor and went over a ton of information and what not. I found out that 53% of my body is fat. That was shocking and very depressing. The worst thing of all today was that I did admit to the doctor that I had a couple puffs off a ciggerette on saint pattys day and just from doing that it set me back 2 months in the process. My surgery could have been around august and now its october to november time. Im really bummed out because I have been quit smoking now since feb. Of this year...idk why I took the hit but if I would have known it would cause this many problems I never would have done it. Im super discouraged but trying to stay positive and just keep in mind that they know what's best for me. I now have to go through 4 months of being urine tested for nicotine. Im never touching a ciggerette ever again!! I learned my lesson the hard way. I know time will fly by between now and oct/nov. But its the anticipation that is killin me lol. But I guess I will have more time prepare for everything. Maybe im just emotional today I don't know.... you wouldn't think them telling you that you have to wait 2 more months would make you cry but for me it did. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day :)

Sent from my Verizon DROID3 using RNYTalk

I'm sorry for the setback Jessica. But try to look at the positive side. You'll now have more time to figure out post surgery things. Try to figure out what Protein you like best. Try to eat, at least to a small degree, like you will after surgery. Make sure you're exercising and being the best you. I know how the bmi goes. I think at my heaviest I was 54, I'm down now to 49. I will weigh in on Friday to see if I've lost any weight this week. I'm not feeling like I have at all. One thing I'm grateful for is the time to figure out how to eat, drink and live post op before going through surgery. I'm working on not eating many sweets, chips or drinking any carbonated drinks. I'm trying to prepare myself life after surgery. Just don't get discouraged, instead use this time to make adjustments. Congratulations on kicking the bad habit and good luck continuing on that road.

Thanks a bunch! I really needed that :) ya I could definitely use more time to to some research on the ways and kids of stuff to eat after surgery. That's a great way to look at it. :) I just tried tuna for the first time in my life today...it was the white ..something idk what the other word was but it was in a pouch and my mom mixed it with light miracle whip and some celery and it was actually pretty good. Im so picky so I guess I can take this time to kind of force myself to like new things that will be better for me post op. Im so glad I quit smoking because being overweight and smoking was sooo hard on my body. Yeah I got my BMI thing back today and it was 49.4 ....I thought it was more like 47 but apparently I shrunk lol. Im 5.8 and currently weigh 329. We must be kind of close in size right now according to bmi. Anyways...thanks for the support I really appreciate it :)

Why are they so strict about smoking? I quit 2 weeks before my surgery. Just wondering why they want you to quit so far out?

Jessica, I remember you saying that you're a picky eater. This is the perfect time to challenge yourself to not only try new foods but maybe even attempt to use the blender :) and try to cook. Try to find some RNY friendly recipes and see if you can make some. It's good practice.

Why are they so strict about smoking? I quit 2 weeks before my surgery. Just wondering why they want you to quit so far out?

I don't smoke, but I remember one of the requirements for my surgeon was no smoking for 6 months prior to surgery. I know it can give you ulcers after surgery, I guess they want to make sure you've kicked the habit for good.

I don't smoke' date=' but I remember one of the requirements for my surgeon was no smoking for 6 months prior to surgery. I know it can give you ulcers after surgery, I guess they want to make sure you've kicked the habit for good.[/quote']

Yeah my surgeon is the same way. I've never smoked so it's not an issue with me either.

Yeah they said it can give u ulcers and make healing a harder process after surgery but my surgery wasn't suppose to be until august and I looked it up and from one ciggerette for someone who doesn't smoke hardly ever which I don't I've been quit for at least 3 months ...it said the niccotine only stays in ur system for 3 to 4 days. I thought that my 4 months no nicotine started 4 months prior to surgery which would be like now....not a month or so ago. But im trying to stay positive about it and definitely take this time to learn how to use the stuff in my kitchen haha.

Hey Jessica! If you're anything like me, you've struggled with your weight for a very long time. If you look at it from that perspective, two months is nothing! I love canned white albacore tuna packed in Water with the light Miracle Whip. I add a little sweet pickle to mine and practically live on it. Shrimp is another great one - very high in Protein. Any kind of fish, chicken and turkey are hard to beat when it comes to low fat, low calorie and high Protein. I'm 27 weeks post-op and here are a couple of suggestions you might want to consider for getting in the post-op zone.

Start reading food labels. Calories are important but PROTEIN is the biggie. I discovered early on that I really didn't understand much of the information that is on food labels. If you Google it you can be up to speed quickly.

From what I've read, the recommended diet is 40/30/30 meaning 40% of calories from carbs, 30% from fat and 30% from protein. RNY folks need 100g of protein a day so you should exceed the protein requirement just about every single day. But the other two numbers are a good reference point.

My biggest challenge was always Portion Control. Buy a food scale and use it. Remember that all of the information on food labels is based on the "serving size" that is shown on every label. If you don't weigh or measure your servings, it is an absolute certainty that you are eating more than you think you are. But after a few months of using your scale, you get much better at eyeballing servings.

Get an app for your phone to track your food intake. I use Tap and Track from Apple's store and I love it. My Fitness Pal is highly recommended by everyone that uses it so you may want to check that one out as well. In my experience, maintaining a log of what you eat is one of the most powerful tools that you can possibly imagine. Very, very important.

Remember that controlling your diet is going to be MUCH easier post-op than it will be pre-op. Don't try to be a hero and don't get discouraged when you're struggling to hit the numbers. Just do the best you can with an eye on losing whatever pre-op weight loss goal your doctor gives you.

You're on your way to a new life and a new you!!

I'm sorry that happened Jessica. Makes you wish you hadn't told him. I know. That's how I am. I'm having to do this 2 week Liquid Protein diet and it is (pardon me ) a bitch. I'm taking my family out tonight for dinner at a BBQ place to fulfill a promise to a grandchild. Technically, there is not one thing there that I can have, and I'll try, but if I eat a little lettuce, I'm not telling him.