Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Cheat On Pre-Op Liquid Diet?

Krista, omg I got so angry reading your post. I can't believe your boyfriend would do that. I just figure if you are dating then you probably want it to go somewhere and if u do then you want to be supportive and caring to your significant other. I feel so bad u have to deal with that. Of course I don't know the whole story but when I read what you wrote I wanted to kick slam your man. Lol!!!! Hope you do well with surgery.

To the lady that is drinking only one shake a day, I am not your mother but I feel like lecturing anyways. Get your Protein in!!! They have these Protein shot bullet type things at sam's club, they are 23g a shot. Please please please go get yourself some and take two a day, it's at least something. Your body will not heal if your body doesn't have protein. You will be sick and lose hair if you continue this after surgery.

To the gentlemen who suggested Atkins shakes, I agree they are yum!!

And finally to all those starting or just started their liquid diet, you can do this. This is the final step to get your surgery. You have already decided at this point that this is the new lifestyle you want to live and so you have to push yourself for two weeks to drink (my doctor suggested 5 shakes, or 65 grams of protein) your shakes. The hunger, sleepiness and headaches only last the first three days and then u will find yourself ok with it. The point is to shrink your liver, if u don't shrink it enough they have to work harder and it will take longer to recover. Don't let that happen to you. I personally lost 20 pounds on preop diet, don't u want the head start? Please don't cheat, you can do this!!!

Ok I'm done ranting. Hope everyone is well. Jessica.

Krista' date=' omg I got so angry reading your post. I can't believe your boyfriend would do that. I just figure if you are dating then you probably want it to go somewhere and if u do then you want to be supportive and caring to your significant other. I feel so bad u have to deal with that. Of course I don't know the whole story but when I read what you wrote I wanted to kick slam your man. Lol!!!! Hope you do well with surgery.

To the lady that is drinking only one shake a day, I am not your mother but I feel like lecturing anyways. Get your Protein in!!! They have these Protein shot bullet type things at sam's club, they are 23g a shot. Please please please go get yourself some and take two a day, it's at least something. Your body will not heal if your body doesn't have protein. You will be sick and lose hair if you continue this after surgery.

To the gentlemen who suggested Atkins shakes, I agree they are yum!!

And finally to all those starting or just started their liquid diet, you can do this. This is the final step to get your surgery. You have already decided at this point that this is the new lifestyle you want to live and so you have to push yourself for two weeks to drink (my doctor suggested 5 shakes, or 65 grams of protein) your shakes. The hunger, sleepiness and headaches only last the first three days and then u will find yourself ok with it. The point is to shrink your liver, if u don't shrink it enough they have to work harder and it will take longer to recover. Don't let that happen to you. I personally lost 20 pounds on preop diet, don't u want the head start? Please don't cheat, you can do this!!!

Ok I'm done ranting. Hope everyone is well. Jessica.[/quote']

I'm on day two of the pre op diet. So far so good. Besides the liquid my doctors says I can have vegetables so it's not so bad. Today I had an Atkins shake (yummy), a muscle milk ( wasn't the greatest but ok) and two salads ( lettuce, Tomato, peppers and onions). I can only use oil and vinegar dressing. I was so hungry but I just kept drinking something and snacked on mini carrots. I guess after a few more days I'll be ok.

Your ranting is ok, sometimes we all will need a kick in the butt. Lol.

Eating one shake a day is probably not a good idea, you should talk to your surgeon and explain you cant drink them. I was given an alternative, and in fact in U.K. the Protein Shake route isn't that common, instead a low fat low carb simple diet is offered. The problem with cheating is that it gives the opportunity for the liver to re-expand undoing all your good work. Result could be that your surgery is postponed, so obviously don't cheat is good, anyway chances are that even if not postponed the surgery might take longer and result in greater risk or pain. I simply can't understand surgeons who don't require a pre-op diet, on so many levels this seems strange but I am not a surgeon.

Hi Diddle!

I love reading your posts! I'm new to this so I don't always know how to post or comment, but here we go. The little protien bullets you talked about getting at Sam's Club...do you know the name of them, and the other thing is the Atkins shakes. Are they just called shakes or something else, and what is the best flavor? I start my Protein shakes on Tuesday for my surgery on the first. I'm not young at almost 58, and my surgery will be an open revision, but you know what...it's really my last chance to get rid of this weight. You inspire me.

I was sad to read about the loss of your mother. I lost my mom about a year and a half ago. I still miss her and always will. If I can be of any help to you feel free to ask.

What state do you live in? I'd love to find a buddy around here to partner with. Any suggestions?

Kristen

I'm 4 weeks post op and I use to cheat on my liquid diet. Not all surgeons put you on them. I was put on one bc my surgery was less than a month away and I hadn't lost the recommended amount of weight. Some do it just to see if you'll have the discipline to stay away from things you shouldn't eat (clearly I didn't lol)