Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-sleever here...I am 6 weeks from my surgery date.

The doctor told me to start cutting caffeine about 4 weeks from date of surgery, but I'm prepping in so many ways I thought "I'll start now."

Let me tell you...No caffeine = SUCKS

I didn't go cold turkey, I only had one cup of coffee this morning. Around the time I would normally have my 2nd cup, I start getting this low grade headache. About an hour later, my head was pounding! I took some ibuprofen and a 45 minute nap. I'm a little better now, but wholly cow! I would have NEVER thought it would have hit me like that.

Apparently I had a bigger caffeine dependency than I realized! I may have to go for a half caff / half decaff in a little bit.

I hear you! I am so coffee-dependent! Caffeine is my drug of choice. I didn't start my weaning process until I started the pre-op diet! (I was originally scheduled for surgery July 31, but it had to be postponed because it was discovered I have AFib). Now the AFib has been successfully treated, but I have picked back up on my coffee habit since I won't have surgery until December. I need to start the half-caf. plan for a few weeks to begin to prepare myself.

I have the same concern I think I have been trying to avoid the point. I only have 3 weeks to surgery and am worried. I think I'll try to quit when I start my Pre op diet.. I still love coffee, I was a Barista for 5 years, I only drink one tumbler a day but am scared to stop! Wish you well at least your smart enough to start early. I'm sure most of it maybe mental!

Do it very slow. I am about a 2 cup a day girl. I Started out with my usual, second cup was half caf. Did that for about a week. then both cups were half caf. Again, about a week, then half caf first, Decaf second. It didn't bother me at all.

Post op pretty much did reverse. It took about 3 weeks to even want to have coffee and it took about 2 months to get back where I was an am now.

Good luck!

Do it very slow. I am about a 2 cup a day girl. I Started out with my usual, second cup was half caf. Did that for about a week. then both cups were half caf. Again, about a week, then half caf first, Decaf second. It didn't bother me at all.

Post op pretty much did reverse. It took about 3 weeks to even want to have coffee and it took about 2 months to get back where I was an am now.

Good luck!

Thanks - I thought about that once the icepick in my left eye was removed! :-)

I'm enjoying a half caff/half decaff now.

Good plan to titrate down and then back up again!

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.

And congrats on your 63 pounds lost! Inspiring!!!!!

I totally understand. My plan was similar to Newat52...did half calf for one week and then Decaf after. Good luck to you on your journey!

I took the 3-month supervised diet time to wean myself off of caffeine & carbonated sodas. I gradually replaced regular coffee with Decaf until it was all decaf. I used a "cold-brewed" Toddy coffee maker & it took about 7 scoops to make it about once a week. It took nearly two months but I never had a caffeine withdrawal headache nor problems with staying awake mid-morning as I would before if I didn't have that coffee. As for the carbonated sodas, first I replaced diet cola with caffeine-free diet cola & diet root beer & then had only one a day instead of two, then one every other day, etc.

I tried to quit the coffee yesterday...the pounding started at 3-4pm.

6pm I felt like I was going to barf.

8pm if I moved at all I could see my heart beat with little spots in the outer edges in my field of vision.

3am I got out of bed to take another dose of Tylenol PM. Still had the pounding.

Needless to say I had one cup today. I see the surgeon tomorrow and get my surgery date.

I stared the process of quitting caffeine a month before surgery. Caffeine is a VERY powerful drug and it takes time to wean off it. I first cut down my intake to 2 cups and spread them over a day next week I went down to 1 cup and started Decaf. The next 2 weeks got myself down to zero caffeine. That last week was the worst. Headaches, irritability but I could control it pretty well. But I'm so happy I did it is making my recovery that much easier you do not want caffeine withdraw after surgery.

I tried to quit the coffee yesterday...the pounding started at 3-4pm.

6pm I felt like I was going to barf.

8pm if I moved at all I could see my heart beat with little spots in the outer edges in my field of vision.

3am I got out of bed to take another dose of Tylenol PM. Still had the pounding.

Needless to say I had one cup today. I see the surgeon tomorrow and get my surgery date.

My head hurts just reading this post. :(

Talk to your Doc and maybe see if they will agree with step down.

Good luck, it will be worth it!

My head hurts just reading this post. :( Talk to your Doc and maybe see if they will agree with step down. Good luck' date=' it will be worth it![/quote']

I go in tomorrow to check in with the nurse and I meet my surgeon. I will bring it up with them for sure. It's odd because I only drink 1 cup a day...but I switched back to the Keurig today, so I'm hoping the smaller amount of grounds used will help the weaning off part.

:-)