Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pissed off and scared

While I was in Florence Hospital I was given a bag of Fluid that didn't have MY name on it. Fortunately is was just regular 'fluids' and it was the girl across the hall from me that I have gotten to know very well. I noticed that she had more bags of fluids on her IV pole each day than I did. It was an antibiotic that I only got ONE time that I keep noticing in her IV. I asked to have my records checked to see how often I got it they said more than once. I Disagree! I only sabot in my pole one time. My mom is with me and she said the same thing. Now that we're back at the hotel I am required to take antibiotics in pill form. It was Cefalexin- within 30 minutes I blew up in hives and a rash on my arms and torso. My ear canals were swollen shut and my face was swollen. I called the on call Dr and they had the pharmacy send up an antihistamine-it cured all the symptoms. So now the on call Dr. comes to remove my staples. Mind you AFTER the other girl-you would think I would be a priority. Anyway the on call Dr tells me to continue to take the Cefalexin because they don't want to change my antibiotics and mess up my system!!!!! Seriously!!! Oh just keep taking the antihistamine with it. So I'm supposed to take this crap and get on a plane and worry that I will go into anaphylactic shock!!!! Um...yea... no!!! But do I want to get an infection??? No!!! What the hell!!!???!!!

Yeah that doesn't sound right... If your having an adverse reaction to the antibiotic they should discontinue it!

Have you tried to get ahold of the actual surgeon?

While I was in florence Hospital I was given a bag of Fluid that didn't have MY name on it. Fortunately is was just regular 'fluids' and it was the girl across the hall from me that I have gotten to know very well. I noticed that she had more bags of fluids on her IV pole each day than I did. It was an antibiotic that I only got ONE time that I keep noticing in her IV. I asked to have my records checked to see how often I got it they said more than once. I Disagree! I only sabot in my pole one time. My mom is with me and she said the same thing. Now that we're back at the hotel I am required to take antibiotics in pill form. It was Cefalexin- within 30 minutes I blew up in hives and a rash on my arms and torso. My ear canals were swollen shut and my face was swollen. I called the on call Dr and they had the pharmacy send up an antihistamine-it cured all the symptoms. So now the on call Dr. comes to remove my staples. Mind you AFTER the other girl-you would think I would be a priority. Anyway the on call Dr tells me to continue to take the Cefalexin because they don't want to change my antibiotics and mess up my system!!!!! Seriously!!! Oh just keep taking the antihistamine with it. So I'm supposed to take this crap and get on a plane and worry that I will go into anaphylactic shock!!!! Um...yea... no!!! But do I want to get an infection??? No!!! What the hell!!!???!!!

you should not take that antiobiotic at all. once an allergic reaction, you can continue to progress to anaphalaxis. seriously - get home and get something else and make sure you insist on something NOT in that family and make sure your home medical care gets it in the charts....you are ALLERGIC. I hope you feel better and get home safe.....keep posting please. and BTW, nothing i saw at jeruselum clinic was labeled at all. they just had a wad of 33cc syringes in their pockets and went to each patient. and we no post op fluids........hang in there. you will be ok.

do not take it again.....I am allergic to almost all atibotics and I found that out the hard way......I was hospitilized over a month because I developed Steven Johnson syndrome. The Dr. Was trying to clear up an infection I had and kept telling me to take when it was making me Ill. Go straight to your primary Dr when you get home.....good luck

Ok, this is crazy? Are they not doing anything about that?

you should not take that antiobiotic at all. once an allergic reaction, you can continue to progress to anaphalaxis. seriously - get home and get something else and make sure you insist on something NOT in that family and make sure your home medical care gets it in the charts....you are ALLERGIC. I hope you feel better and get home safe.....keep posting please. and BTW, nothing i saw at jeruselum clinic was labeled at all. they just had a wad of 33cc syringes in their pockets and went to each patient. and we no post op fluids........hang in there. you will be ok.

While I was at Jerusalem hospital I looked at each IV bottle and read what was in it. I looked at each additional bag of antibiotic that was hung and each one had my name on it and what was in it. Any time a nurse came into my room with a syringe I asked what it was and I looked at it and it always had my name on it and the medication on it.

I also gave a complete list of current medications I was taking and any known allergies.

I am sorry that anyone has a bad experience anywhere whether here in the States or in Mexico. It's always good to have your PCP back home to cover you when you return home.

So sorry to hear about your troubles. I don't get that whole "keep taking it so not to mess up your system" excuse he gave you. I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic once, called the Dr.'s office and the nurse said quit taking it immediately and she called in a different one. Trust your instincts and if all else fails and you really feel like you need an antibiotic, maybe you could have the hotel call a cab to take you to one of the pharmacies over there and get an antibiotic that you know you have taken in the past with out issues. You can walk into those pharmacies and get the medicine without a prescription. I know some people may not agree with this, but it is just a suggestion. Also just wanted to say that Kephlex(cephalexin) is a broad spectrum antibiotic and occasionally people who are allergic to penicillin will have a reaction to it as well. Good luck and God bless

While I was at Jerusalem hospital I looked at each IV bottle and read what was in it. I looked at each additional bag of antibiotic that was hung and each one had my name on it and what was in it. Any time a nurse came into my room with a syringe I asked what it was and I looked at it and it always had my name on it and the medication on it.

when i asked what i was getting they did not respond and when i pushed for info they got upset with me i speak a bit medical spanish so i pursued my questions. i would only suggest going if one has a medical background (to jer clinic) anyway hope all is well for everyone

I'm not a nurse but I'm in the medical field and I argued with the on call nurse until she agreed to give me something else to be delivered to me. Mom and I walked to the pharmacy and spoke to someone who had nothing to do with my situation and he said ' the antibiotics they gave you at the hospital were not EXACTLY the same as pill form PLUS in the hospital they gave a histamine with your meds so you would have seen a reaction.' Although thinking back there was a night that my blood pressure was abnormally high and my face and neck were so red but not itchy. The nurses that day were 24 hr shift nurses and didn't speak English. They said, it's ok it's ok'. On a more positive note I took my new antibiotics 50 minutes ago and I'm fine. Problem solved. The pharmacist told me the new one they were giving is better anyway. Once per day for five days. Levofloxacin.

And PS- the pharmacies won't just give you anything without a prescription. Pain meds and muscle relaxers yes- antibiotics no! At least at the one we went to. I wasn't necessarily going to get something that MY Dr didn't prescribe to me for a new antibiotic.

And as far as I knew I had no allergies. I don't take many antibiotics on a normal basis. And I did look at each IV that came into my room. The one that was put in with a different persons name was the 'usual fluids' in the big bag -thought nothing of it until morning when I noticed the wrong name on the bag.

And PS- the pharmacies won't just give you anything without a prescription. Pain meds and muscle relaxers yes- antibiotics no! At least at the one we went to. I wasn't necessarily going to get something that MY Dr didn't prescribe to me for a new antibiotic.

Maybe some are different, my sister's sister in law lives in Yuma AZ and they go to Los Algodones and get antibiotics and well just about any other prescription they want except narcotics. For pain meds you definitely have to have a script. Maybe TJ is different. Anyway, glad it worked out for you.