Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Support Group Meetings

Do you attend lap band support group meetings? Can you tell me a little about how they're structured, and what you get out of them?

I've attended several local support group meetings, and have not been completely happy with how they are run. Basically, they have a couple of bandster hosts who share their stories and answer questions, and then a presentation by a professional in an affiliate role (like a nutritionist, psychiatrist, fill nurse, etc.)

The meetings are also attended by pre-op patients. I get the impression that it's required that they attend a support group meeting. Often, the pre-ops outnumber the post ops, and the meeting is more about answering their concerns and questions than those of the post op folks. Don't get me wrong, I like helping other people, and answering their questions, but the pre-ops *also* have a seminar right before the support group meeting. So, to me, the support group should focus more on the post-op patients' experiences. That would benefit the pre-ops, too, to see the "band in action" by hearing from people who are living with the band.

I've been in touch with the bariatric coordinator about my concerns, and she asked me for suggestions to improve the meetings. But, I've never attended any kind of support group meeting before this, and I may be off base in my expectations. I just feel like there should be more interaction between the post ops, and that they should feel that they are making a contribution, and helping each other.

Please help me out, if you have any ideas, suggestions, or experiences about support group meetings that I might be able to share with the bariatric coordinator.

Thanks a bunch!

Tami

I have been to one support group. Whe all had name tags that stated what our name, doctor, weight loss, pre op info. Then we went around and said a little about ourselves. At this time we each got to ask specific questions regarding our own situation. We all got the answers we needed this way. Before this time though, it was kinda open and people were just asking questions to each other.

I have not had my surgery yet but I did choose to attend a support meeting last week. Basically it was just people talking about how their month was and any issues or problems they are having. The coordintor has told me that usually there is a guest speaker- next month will be a plastic surgeon for those comnsidering tummy tucks and such, march there will be a psychologist, sometimes they have a nutritionist or someone talking about Vitamins. It was nice to hear about peoples experiences.

Up till 2007, the support groups were a mix of pre and post-ops. We'd go around the room, give our first name, date of surgery and current weight loss. After that was done the moderator/counsellor picked a topic to present (there was usually only 15-20 mins left of the session). The only thing she insisted on (still does) was that we don't discuss food. She wants to stick with feelings.

Since the new year, things are more organized. She gives us nametags and handouts and presents the topic up front. More talking now, both from the experienced banders and the wannabe banders. I like the new system much better.

I really like my support group. We meet every 3rd Thursday. She does round robin talking to each of us. She then has us ask each other questions. There are preop patients there that ask us questions as well. I think it is moderated good.

Today, I attended my first post-op support group meeting and it sucked! It was not what I was hoping for. The majority of the conversation was about food.

I would rather had the group leader allow each person to do an intro and during the intro state one issue they need the groups feedback on.

Or, have a group topic and each person makes 1 comment round-robin style. The same old, same old people kept talking and did not yield the floor to others.

I will not drive 85 miles one way to this type of support group again. :thumbup: However, I really liked the pre-op support group!!!

I've just found out about one in my local area and will attend the next meeting. It is run by someone who had lap band 2 years ago, has lost all her weight and maintained and held in her home. She said basically people talk about issues they have, successes and concerns. Everyone is asked to bring along their own lunch so everyone can see what others are eating and portion sizes. At the end of the session they having a clothing swap.

My doctor's support group is for patients from the clinic he shares with another doctor. 95% of the people there had the duodenal switch (DS)...and I'm the only band patient there. Bear in mind, my doctor has only performed a handful of band surgeries, so it's not like there are a lot of us.

At the beginning of the meeting, they have a few minutes of open questions. Then they dive right into the guest speaker's topic. These topics are laid out a year in advance. The most recent meeting was a sales pitch from Monavie.

Yeah...I am really frustrated. I spoke to my doctor, his nurse, and the bariatric coordinator about it. I suggested a separate meeting for band patients, since our needs are so very different from the bypass patients. I also suggested a program where pre-op patients who were interested in the band could be connected with post-op patients to hear more about what the surgery is really like.