Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slleve vs Bypass - what made you decide?

I went to see my bariatric nurse today and my mum came with me. I asked all the remaining questions I had about the sleeve and my mum brought up the bypass. She thinks this will be better for me because there's more information on it, it has been done for the last 40 years. Also I'm a grazer and the sleeve isn't supposed to work so well for us. Also the recommended revision for people who have had bands is the bypass. So now I'm thinking perhaps I'll have the bypass instead. But all my research so far has been on the sleeve. Does anyone have any advice or input they'd like to share on their decision?

I decided on the sleeve basically because I did not want my intestines re-routed, the malnutrition issues and risk of internal hernia at the incision sites. I found the sleeve to be more of a straightforward procedure...remove 85% of my stomach, done. The rest is on me.

I decided on the sleeve basically because I did not want my intestines re-routed' date=' the malnutrition issues and risk of internal hernia at the incision sites. I found the sleeve to be more of a straightforward procedure...remove 85% of my stomach, done. The rest is on me.[/quote'] yes this the same reason I wanted the sleeve and it's been great.....I made the choice

There are TONS of threads on this forum with this topic, so if you want even MORE information, do a search on the site. Searching from a web browser is easier, in my opinion.

My first thought was to go with the bypass. As you mention, it has a great track record. When I got my sleeve, just over two years ago, there wasn't much information about long-term success, so that had me concerned. But I always felt my issue was the over-eating. I usually ate healthy meals, I just ate a large portion. I was also a big grazer. The bottom line, for me, is I loved the feeling of being full.

To me, the sleeve just made sense. Remove 85% of my stomach so I cannot eat as much. Get that full feeling sooner so I don't consume as many calories. Sure, over the next two years or so, it is going to stretch a bit, but only a tiny bit. When I asked my surgeon about it, he likened it to a new wallet. At first, it is nice and tight, but over time, it will stretch a bit, but nothing like what the bypass can do.

With the bypass, the stretchy part remains so it is possible to stretch that pouch back to a much larger size. That is not possible with the sleeve. I did not want the malnutrition issues, either. Plus, the bowel obstruction issues, I think, are more common than reported because only the serious cases get reported. I have talked to many GBP patients who have this issue. No thanks.

For me, the sleeve has been exactly what I wanted. I am over 2 years out and still have excellent restriction. I do still graze, but no where near like what it used to be. Far more controlled. I still like the feeling of being full and the sleeve gives that to me. I have lost all of my excess weight (yes ... 100%) and live a much healthier lifestyle now. There is nothing I cannot eat or do. I just returned from a cruise where, as you may know, I was surrounded by food. I was able to partake and enjoy it all like a "normal" person. Truth be told, I actually lost 3 pounds, if you can imagine that. (needless to say, walked a lot on our shore excursions and was at the on-board gym almost everyday)

I think the sleeve will become the new "Gold Standard". Keep researching and asking questions.

Good luck!

There are TONS of threads on this forum with this topic' date=' so if you want even MORE information, do a search on the site. Searching from a web browser is easier, in my opinion. My first thought was to go with the bypass. As you mention, it has a great track record. When I got my sleeve, just over two years ago, there wasn't much information about long-term success, so that had me concerned. But I always felt my issue was the over-eating. I usually ate healthy meals, I just ate a large portion. I was also a big grazer. The bottom line, for me, is I loved the feeling of being full. To me, the sleeve just made sense. Remove 85% of my stomach so I cannot eat as much. Get that full feeling sooner so I don't consume as many calories. Sure, over the next two years or so, it is going to stretch a bit, but only a tiny bit. When I asked my surgeon about it, he likened it to a new wallet. At first, it is nice and tight, but over time, it will stretch a bit, but nothing like what the bypass can do. With the bypass, the stretchy part remains so it is possible to stretch that pouch back to a much larger size. That is not possible with the sleeve. I did not want the malnutrition issues, either. Plus, the bowel obstruction issues, I think, are more common than reported because only the serious cases get reported. I have talked to many GBP patients who have this issue. No thanks. For me, the sleeve has been exactly what I wanted. I am over 2 years out and still have excellent restriction. I do still graze, but no where near like what it used to be. Far more controlled. I still like the feeling of being full and the sleeve gives that to me. I have lost all of my excess weight (yes ... 100%) and live a much healthier lifestyle now. There is nothing I cannot eat or do. I just returned from a cruise where, as you may know, I was surrounded by food. I was able to partake and enjoy it all like a "normal" person. Truth be told, I actually lost 3 pounds, if you can imagine that. (needless to say, walked a lot on our shore excursions and was at the on-board gym almost everyday) I think the sleeve will become the new "Gold Standard". Keep researching and asking questions. Good luck![/quote']

I agree one hundred percent with what you said. I have heard the sleeve referred to a the Cadillac of weight loss surgery. I am a registered nurse and did not want the dumping syndrome and Vitamin deficiencies that go with the bypass. When the surgeon explained the log term benefit of the sleeve it was exactly what I was looking for. Not only will you loose weight but you will have a better chance I keeping it off if you modify your eating behavior slightly. When I say slightly I mean follow the guidelines but I think everyone agrees that you don't have to deny yourself but you can indulge in moderation. I have also seen people that have had the bypass stretch their pouch out and regain everything that was lost. keep researching and weigh the options. I am 6 months post of this week. HW 232. SW 218. Today 155. I am about 10-15 from goal.

I know three people who have the gastric bypass and they are all still considered to be obese. So, I thought why would I subject myself a more complicated procurers, unless it was my only option. I am using the sleeve as a tool to help me lose weight. Ultimately whatever surgery I chose I am going to have to diet and exercise the rest of my life period. Maybe, you can join a gastric bypass forum and get more information on the surgery and the outcomes.

There are TONS of threads on this forum with this topic, so if you want even MORE information, do a search on the site. Searching from a web browser is easier, in my opinion.

My first thought was to go with the bypass. As you mention, it has a great track record. When I got my sleeve, just over two years ago, there wasn't much information about long-term success, so that had me concerned. But I always felt my issue was the over-eating. I usually ate healthy meals, I just ate a large portion. I was also a big grazer. The bottom line, for me, is I loved the feeling of being full.

To me, the sleeve just made sense. Remove 85% of my stomach so I cannot eat as much. Get that full feeling sooner so I don't consume as many calories. Sure, over the next two years or so, it is going to stretch a bit, but only a tiny bit. When I asked my surgeon about it, he likened it to a new wallet. At first, it is nice and tight, but over time, it will stretch a bit, but nothing like what the bypass can do.

With the bypass, the stretchy part remains so it is possible to stretch that pouch back to a much larger size. That is not possible with the sleeve. I did not want the malnutrition issues, either. Plus, the bowel obstruction issues, I think, are more common than reported because only the serious cases get reported. I have talked to many GBP patients who have this issue. No thanks.

For me, the sleeve has been exactly what I wanted. I am over 2 years out and still have excellent restriction. I do still graze, but no where near like what it used to be. Far more controlled. I still like the feeling of being full and the sleeve gives that to me. I have lost all of my excess weight (yes ... 100%) and live a much healthier lifestyle now. There is nothing I cannot eat or do. I just returned from a cruise where, as you may know, I was surrounded by food. I was able to partake and enjoy it all like a "normal" person. Truth be told, I actually lost 3 pounds, if you can imagine that. (needless to say, walked a lot on our shore excursions and was at the on-board gym almost everyday)

I think the sleeve will become the new "Gold Standard". Keep researching and asking questions.

Good luck!

I would also agree this are the main reason why I went with the sleeve vs. Bypass.

I did not like the idea of having my digestive system re-routed. And the band was way too scary, in my opinion. The port thing freaked me out. Having them take out 85% of my stomach seemed like the most straight forward answer. If I don't have it, I can't eat a whole loaf of bread anymore, right? But it was really the fact that I would still have my digestive system, just in a mini version that made me decide on the sleeve. :) but weigh your decisions and pick what is absolutely best for YOU! good luck!