Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dairy of a fatman.

Diary of a Fat man.

All my life I have been heavy, fat, overweight. It's simple, I eat too much and I stay fat. What's not simple is changing that pattern. I've dieted many times and they work each time, but eventually they don't and the cycle continues. I have tied exercising regularly until my overweight body said no more!

So here I am I'm my Mid 50s father of an active 2 year old. My large body aches it creaks and weighs the same as 2 over weight 20 year olds. So what do I do? get another diet because the next time "it will work"? Exercise until I injure myself and can't recover? That's why I decided to look into an alternative way.

On Tuesday October 1st I'm scheduled for the sleeve. To some it probably seems like a cop-out - the lazy way out. Sure they can believe that if they want, but the truth is, after 40 years of being the big guy, barely able to sit in an airplane seat, out of breath after a few steps embarrassed at my size and memories of constant teasing as a child, It's time to take a radical step.

You see, I don't want my son to grow up fat I don't want him embarrassed at his Dad's size I want to run along side of him, I want to be around for him. I want to live a healthy lifestyle and raise him him up in one. I want to be a good husband for my wife to stay as young as my body allows. To be there for her, to support her, to be a active partner for her.

I want this for me for ALL the reasons I stated. I want to take the fat kid I was show him there is a way. To take the fat teenager I was and push through the embarrassment I felt. To take the fat adult I am and get to a point I can embrace life with open arms again.

Well said my friend. The sleeve will work, but as your title suggests, you may be skinny, but you might stay 'fat' in your mind. We all work on that part as well...

Radical it is, a cop-out it is not. It is not easier as you will see, it is just much more effective. It IS much easier than being obese.

Good for you! I made my change at 63. I am 64 now, a year and half out, under my goal, strong as a bull, and enjoying life. You can do it!

Good luck on Tuesday. You will do great. We are currently in TX and having surgery tomorrow in Mexico with Dr Alvarez. See you on the other side; we are on our way to healthy lives!!

Radical it is, a cop-out it is not. It is not easier as you will see, it is just much more effective.

SOOOO TRUE!!! It is NOT easier!! But it will work

Beautifully written!

Sending positive vibes your way for your surgery on Tuesday.

Please keep us posted on your healthy, new, fabulous life!

Take care.

Diary of a Fat man.

All my life I have been heavy' date=' fat, overweight. It's simple, I eat too much and I stay fat. What's not simple is changing that pattern. I've dieted many times and they work each time, but eventually they don't and the cycle continues. I have tied exercising regularly until my overweight body said no more!

So here I am I'm my Mid 50s father of an active 2 year old. My large body aches it creaks and weighs the same as 2 over weight 20 year olds. So what do I do? get another diet because the next time "it will work"? Exercise until I injure myself and can't recover? That's why I decided to look into an alternative way.

On Tuesday October 1st I'm scheduled for the sleeve. To some it probably seems like a cop-out - the lazy way out. Sure they can believe that if they want, but the truth is, after 40 years of being the big guy, barely able to sit in an airplane seat, out of breath after a few steps embarrassed at my size and memories of constant teasing as a child, It's time to take a radical step.

Al

You see, I don't want my son to grow up fat I don't want him embarrassed at his Dad's size I want to run along side of him, I want to be around for him. I want to live a healthy lifestyle and raise him him up in one. I want to be a good husband for my wife to stay as young as my body allows. To be there for her, to support her, to be a active partner for her.

I want this for me for ALL the reasons I stated. I want to take the fat kid I was show him there is a way. To take the fat teenager I was and push through the embarrassment I felt. To take the fat adult I am and get to a point I can embrace life with open arms again.[/quote']

Your diary sounds like so many of ours, male and female. Congratulations on making the decision to take control of the "fat man" and create a new life for yourself. Bast of luck on Tuesday. Keep us informed on your progress.

Murmart your doing the right thing. I'm almost 2 weeks out and i have asked myself" what took me this long to get my vsg"

you'll see my friend things are only gonna get better.

Well done mate my story is just like yours and it is definitely not the easy way. .. I'm due to be sleeved here in the uk on 9 th October .. I just want to not be noticed in a crowd . Not have the seatbelt extension on a plane and experience every ride at a theme park as been to fat in the past so I just did not go .. Been big since I was 5 and missed out of so much life has to offer and wish I had done this at 29 not 49 .. Rich

Today's the day have my surgery set for 7:30am it's now 4 am. Not feeling nervous but eager and excited. My colleagues at work were great so supportive when I left I look forward to getting back and showing off after my surgery. A colleague who had the sleeve recommended I take a month off so I have October to recover and can take my time adjusting to my new life.

Well done mate my story is just like yours and it is definitely not the easy way. .. I'm due to be sleeved here in the uk on 9 th October .. I just want to not be noticed in a crowd . Not have the seatbelt extension on a plane and experience every ride at a theme park as been to fat in the past so I just did not go .. Been big since I was 5 and missed out of so much life has to offer and wish I had done this at 29 not 49 .. Rich
I am from the UK originally been in the states for many years. Good luck with your surgery.

Today's the day have my surgery set for 7:30am it's now 4 am. Not feeling nervous but eager and excited. My colleagues at work were great so supportive when I left I look forward to getting back and showing off after my surgery. A colleague who had the sleeve recommended I take a month off so I have October to recover and can take my time adjusting to my new life.

Good luck today. You'll do great. We had ours yesterday here in Mexico. Virtually pain free. I even slept on my left side where the big trocar port is. No gas pain either which was my big fear. When I had my gallbladder out, the gas pains were excruciating and worse than the surgery pain ever was.

Keep us updated. We are all cheering for you.

Keep us updated on how you got in and your experience , I know you may feel a bit rough at the moment so hope it's not as bad as you thought .. Rich

Had my surgery on Tuesday it was the sleeve and hernia repair. On the 2nd day in hospital I tried taking in sips of Water 30ml/30 minutes. I had some problems even keeping that small amount down. The surgeon said I was probably swelling so the recommended I stay another night in the hospital. The nausea has now subsided so I'm eating small amounts of Jello and chicken broth and it is staying down. It's amazing how much more aware your stomach you become I can hear and feel every sip.