Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just putting it out there, so 'dirty' little secrets may see the light of day!

Buying dresses (my white Celtic legs haven't seen so much sun since I was in my 20s) as we now have summer here in the UK. Managed to easily fit into UK 10 USA 6 the other day-yay!!!! Having a slab of fillet steak to satisfy my newly acquired red meat cravings. Nicking the odd chunky chip off my husband's plate. Nicking the odd bit of milk chocolate from husband. Making real Caesar Salad Dressing and enjoying the DIVINE taste instead of eating shop bought dressing loaded with additives. Walking the dogs for at least four miles every morning (six and a half yesterday) and feeling wonderful.

Edited by jintycb

Madam, now that time has passed do you have any other good "cheats" to add?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Dear Jessica,

Sadly not.

After the honeymoon period, it is so very easy for the weight to come back on. I'm not joking.

You HAVE to give it your best whilst the going is good...

The core advice I'd give is...

If you're a carb addict (like me) - NEVER go back to eating bread products. That way lies the devil.

Actually, sod it, whatever your thing was before.. It so shall be after - because it used to be your friend. Everyone has to accept that. It is also easy to swap one 'friend' for another. Usually booze...

It's hard. I'm back to having to be very cognisant of what I'm putting in my mouth now.. very...

Your stomach WILL STRETCH.

Oh, and I've found that i'm hungry every 2.5 hours - which can lead to EASILY maxing out on 2000 + calories.

It's not a miracle, it's a tool - as everyone has said. I'm still trying to master mine... Not very successfully after having put on 22lbs.

Maybe I should put down the glass of wine ;) x

Madame R.,

This is the best, most honest post I have seen in a long time. Thank you for this. I think everyone considering surgery needs to read this.

Edited by daniotra

8 days post op I licked the seasoning off some wheat thins...I think it was the sun dried Tomato basil flavor. f**k it was good. My sweet dog Wrigley ate the licked crackers afterward. She was all too happy to dispose of the evidence for me.

Also.....I parked in a handicapped space at the dollar store while on my 2 week pre-op diet. I was running in real quick to get a Kit Kat which I may or may not have eaten. Honestly it disappeared so fast I'm not sure where it went.

... I've licked a chip... In fact.. I'd lick anything right now if it had any flavour... Work surfaces.. windows...
..lol... me too. I locked chip to and tortilla chip...

Mrs. Marrufo Phone :)

Dont you know we are not supposed to use straws!! They will blow up your tummy!!

We can never, for the rest of our lives use a straw? That's crazy and sad.

I guess I don't recall hearing this in the myriad of consultations with the nutritionist and the doctor- or the tons of papers I had to sign. Why exactly is using a straw bad?

Dont you know we are not supposed to use straws!! They will blow up your tummy!!

We can never, for the rest of our lives use a straw? That's crazy and sad.
I guess I don't recall hearing this in the myriad of consultations with the nutritionist and the doctor- or the tons of papers I had to sign. Why exactly is using a straw bad?

At our nutrition group this week, our NUT from the Cleveland Clinic said that there is no medical reason/study/evidence to not use a straw. She indicated that it was based on experience/word of mouth that patients are told not to use it. If using a straw helps you and doesn't cause you a problem then she had no problems with it. If you notice that you're getting gassy, then don't use it. I started using it and so far, so good. If I have a problem, I'll stop. Since using it, it's been easier to get in all the liquids.

8 days post op I licked the seasoning off some wheat thins...I think it was the I sun dried Tomato basil flavor. f**k it was good. My sweet dog Wrigley ate the licked crackers afterward. She was all too happy to dispose of the evidence for me.

Also.....I parked in a handicapped space at the dollar store while on my 2 week pre-op diet. I was running in real quick to get a Kit Kat which I may or may not have eaten. Honestly it disappeared so fast I'm not sure where it went.

... I've licked a chip... In fact.. I'd lick anything right now if it had any flavour... Work surfaces.. windows...
..lol... me too. I locked chip to and tortilla chip...

Mrs. Marrufo Phone :)

Ummm, I think I know some single guys who might taste good who would love to meet you. Just saying ????

I didn't follow the pre-op liquid diet that my surgeon makes everyone do for two full weeks. Not at all. I couldnt do it. I woke up everyday saying that I was going to stick to my surgeons plan, and everyday I ended up binging like crazy. I'd be good all day, and then after work I'd run to burger king and order a double whopper with cheese, large chocolate shake and onion rings, ten piece chicken nugget, and large coke. One day I went to the Chinese place and ordered TWO full meals and ate them both within an hour. I also consumed an 8piece bucket of fried chicken alone, followed by a pint of Ben and Jerry's. It was my worst two weeks, and was when I realized I needed the surgery more than ever. I was out of control. I somehow managed to stick to Clear liquids the very last day before my surgery, and the surgeon didn't mention anything about my liver being too large and I have had a very successful surgery and weight loss (at least, I believe so).

Phew, feels good to get that off of my chest after all this time :D

Im on my pre-op diet right now and I can so relate! Reading that has actually made me feel better about the thoughts I've been having. Im not gonna lie I didn't even know what a carb was until last week. At which point I realized I should have been a carb spokesperson. I literally don't want to eat or drink, because everything that tastes good to me is loaded with carbs, which has n doubt been my problem. Lol Oh the horror .

Everyday I drive past fast food places white knuckling the wheel. I put food into online order apps and never complete the transaction. Lol! Thankfully I haven't acted on these thoughts, I dutifully drink my shakes and force down my chicken, eggs, and riced cauliflower even though I want to gag because its not the garlic rolls or egg foo young I've been craving for weeks.

I have been rolling around the idea of a "last meal" before my surgery next week. I know someone will scream "no don't do it" but I'd kill for a pleasure meal instead of a do my duty meal.

It's never too late, until its too late

Ok, confession. I was so over liquids and having the same thing over and over again that my first day of purée I went through the Maccas drive through and bought a small chocolate thickshake and a cheeseburger and proceeded to take the burger home and blend it with my stick blender. Not my proudest moment and it looked so gross that I didn't eat it it.

But I did have 1/2 of the thickshake. And it was amazing.