Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar? Fat? Calories? Carbs?

What is important to focus on? I log my calories, fat and Protein. I don't pay a lot of attention to sugar but I am not eating anything that I wouldn't feed my toddler (that's my rule to help stay away from junk food) Do I need to focus on sugar free rather than fat free? I guess I assumed that fattening food made me obese, so low fat and fat free were pretty important. Can someone explain why sugar and or carbs may be more important to focus on. veterans any input????

Your body needs Protein to help keep your lean mass at a decent level. It can't do that with sugar and carbs. Fat is a higher-efficiency macronutrient at 9cal/gram. But starch will also mess with your blood glucose. It's another reason to avoid it. Finally, your liver will turn excess sugar into artery-clogging fat.

Protein intake is your number one priority...next veggies, fruit, carbs....Carbs are the easiest for your body to break down and fuel you and that is why athletes carbo load before a big game......Protein is the body builder that levels everything out and also tells your body that you are being fueled....

Count calories if you must..I never used to look at labels but now I do....Then I decide whether I will eat the product....

Artificial sugar.....PLEASE..stay clear of that crap....Rats get tumors and die when they give them that stuff....i am not convinced that any artificial sugar on the planet is good for you...Try using agave and maple Syrup to sweeten your food....I use them.....K

Artificial sugar.....PLEASE..stay clear of that crap....Rats get tumors and die when they give them that stuff....i am not convinced that any artificial sugar on the planet is good for you...Try using agave and maple Syrup to sweeten your food....I use them.....K

I respectfully dissent. It is true that if you give a rodent about 100X the amount of artificial sweetener that any human could consume in their lifetime, it will cause tumors. But there is no evidence it can do that at the levels humans could reasonably consume in their lives.

I respectfully dissent. It is true that if you give a rodent about 100X the amount of artificial sweetener that any human could consume in their lifetime, it will cause tumors. But there is no evidence it can do that at the levels humans could reasonably consume in their lives.

I respectively disagree with you...

2. Aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal, NatraSweet, Canderel, Spoonfuls, DiabetiSweet) is a common chemical sweetener with possible side effects that sound like they're out of a horror movie. From hallucinations to seizures to brain tumors, it is hardly worth consuming for the sake of saved calories.

3. Sucralose (Otherwise known as Splenda, my past-sweetener of choice), is scary. Recent research suggests that Splenda can enlarge both the liver and kidneys and shrink the thymus glands. Sucralose breaks down into small amounts of dichlorofructose, which has not been tested adequately tested in humans. Splenda reportedly can cause skin rashes, panic, diarrhea, headaches, bladder issues, stomach pain, and those side effects don't even sum it up.

Think this sounds bad? Do some further research. Most artificial sweeteners on store shelves are accompanied by numerous side-effect stories. (Some recent studies suggest they cause cancer. Should something as serious as cancer really be overlooked?) Research also suggests that they actually cause overeating among consumers.

In addition to all of this, consider the waste involved in the industry of artificially sweetening. Ever stepped into a coffee shop and noticed a mound of sugar substitute packets building on the counter or in the trash? We've been wasting one of our most precious resources for the sake of a sweetener that can harm our bodies and prevent weight loss. It sounds unfathomable, but true nonetheless.

What you can do instead to get your sugar fix:

Turn to natural sweeteners for your drinks and food alike. Honey, organic maple Syrup, molasses, date sugar, brown rice syrup, and stevia are just a few natural sweeteners you can turn to. Not only will they wreak less havoc on your body, but your support of these sweeteners instead will, eventually, help to slow the production of toxic artificial sweeteners--which are significantly less delicious in my opinion anyway.

I am not interested in a war over this..but I will post this information for consideration...thank you!

Sorry forgot to mention this article is from " Discovery Health " :)

Well, first of all, Stevia is made of steviol glycoside which is an artificial sweetner, just like sucralose or any of the others... Of course, 100% of artificial sweeteners are as "artificial" or "real" as you want them to be depending on how you define those terms (they aren't defined well by the FDA or anyone else.)

The article doesn't cite what research actually suggests there's any truth to that. It just says "research suggests." Often, these articles are supported by companies like Monsanto, which have lots of money invested in you using fructose instead of artificial sweetener.

I respectively disagree with you...

2. Aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal, NatraSweet, Canderel, Spoonfuls, DiabetiSweet) is a common chemical sweetener with possible side effects that sound like they're out of a horror movie. From hallucinations to seizures to brain tumors, it is hardly worth consuming for the sake of saved calories.

3. Sucralose (Otherwise known as Splenda, my past-sweetener of choice), is scary. Recent research suggests that Splenda can enlarge both the liver and kidneys and shrink the thymus glands. Sucralose breaks down into small amounts of dichlorofructose, which has not been tested adequately tested in humans. Splenda reportedly can cause skin rashes, panic, diarrhea, headaches, bladder issues, stomach pain, and those side effects don't even sum it up.

Think this sounds bad? Do some further research. Most artificial sweeteners on store shelves are accompanied by numerous side-effect stories. (Some recent studies suggest they cause cancer. Should something as serious as cancer really be overlooked?) Research also suggests that they actually cause overeating among consumers.

In addition to all of this, consider the waste involved in the industry of artificially sweetening. Ever stepped into a coffee shop and noticed a mound of sugar substitute packets building on the counter or in the trash? We've been wasting one of our most precious resources for the sake of a sweetener that can harm our bodies and prevent weight loss. It sounds unfathomable, but true nonetheless.

What you can do instead to get your sugar fix:

Turn to natural sweeteners for your drinks and food alike. Honey, organic maple Syrup, molasses, date sugar, brown rice syrup, and stevia are just a few natural sweeteners you can turn to. Not only will they wreak less havoc on your body, but your support of these sweeteners instead will, eventually, help to slow the production of toxic artificial sweeteners--which are significantly less delicious in my opinion anyway.

I am not interested in a war over this..but I will post this information for consideration...thank you!

I love stevia extract and I consider it natural as it is from the stevia leaf and minimally processed..

Funny how we care so much about such things now....

I'm sure we weren't quibbling over artificial when we were stuffing pizza and Oreos in our mouths :D

I love stevia extract and I consider it natural as it is from the stevia leaf and minimally processed..

Funny how we care so much about such things now....

I'm sure we weren't quibbling over artificial when we were stuffing pizza and Oreos in our mouths :D

Most of the food we eat is artificial anyways. When I worked in the sciences, I was frequently shocked at things that could be called "natural" but were as synthetic as it gets. Another urban legend: "organic." It doesn't really mean anything. A good friend from college started an "organic" farm and makes a fortune by putting the right labeling on things, but it's no more organic than any other commercial farming operation.

My wife and I are stevia converts. It flavors our coffee fairly decently and it only requires 1/2 the amount as Splenda. We do not use artificial sweeteners any more then that, but the Water sweeteners tend to be indirectly loaded with sweeteners. 'Tis life; we do the best we can.

Most of the food we eat is artificial anyways. When I worked in the sciences, I was frequently shocked at things that could be called "natural" but were as synthetic as it gets. Another urban legend: "organic." It doesn't really mean anything. A good friend from college started an "organic" farm and makes a fortune by putting the right labeling on things, but it's no more organic than any other commercial farming operation.

Well we finally agree on something...lol ;)

I use the theory that if my Great Grandmother would not recognize it as food, I try and stay away from it....not that I always follow the rule but I use it as a rule of thumb...

I respectively disagree with you... 2. Aspartame (NutraSweet' date=' Equal, NatraSweet, Canderel, Spoonfuls, DiabetiSweet) is a common chemical sweetener with possible side effects that sound like they're out of a horror movie. From hallucinations to seizures to brain tumors, it is hardly worth consuming for the sake of saved calories. 3. Sucralose (Otherwise known as Splenda, my past-sweetener of choice), is scary. Recent research suggests that Splenda can enlarge both the liver and kidneys and shrink the thymus glands. Sucralose breaks down into small amounts of dichlorofructose, which has not been tested adequately tested in humans. Splenda reportedly can cause skin rashes, panic, diarrhea, headaches, bladder issues, stomach pain, and those side effects don't even sum it up. Think this sounds bad? Do some further research. Most artificial sweeteners on store shelves are accompanied by numerous side-effect stories. (Some recent studies suggest they cause cancer. Should something as serious as cancer really be overlooked?) Research also suggests that they actually cause overeating among consumers. In addition to all of this, consider the waste involved in the industry of artificially sweetening. Ever stepped into a coffee shop and noticed a mound of sugar substitute packets building on the counter or in the trash? We've been wasting one of our most precious resources for the sake of a sweetener that can harm our bodies and prevent weight loss. It sounds unfathomable, but true nonetheless. What you can do instead to get your sugar fix: Turn to natural sweeteners for your drinks and food alike. Honey, organic maple Syrup, molasses, date sugar, brown rice syrup, and stevia are just a few natural sweeteners you can turn to. Not only will they wreak less havoc on your body, but your support of these sweeteners instead will, eventually, help to slow the production of toxic artificial sweeteners--which are significantly less delicious in my opinion anyway. I am not interested in a war over this..but I will post this information for consideration...thank you!

I've been thinking about quitting using Splenda. I use at least 10 packets a day easy. I do it because especially in my coffee I like it sweet and I don't want to add 2 tbsp sugar for every cup. I looked at agave nectar the other day but it had carbs and sugar in it I believe. If I use it multiple times a day seems like that would add up to be unhealthy right? That's why I haven't switched but to be honest I want to find an alternative just because of the hype.

I've been thinking about quitting using Splenda. I use at least 10 packets a day easy. I do it because especially in my coffee I like it sweet and I don't want to add 2 tbsp sugar for every cup. I looked at agave nectar the other day but it had carbs and sugar in it I believe. If I use it multiple times a day seems like that would add up to be unhealthy right? That's why I haven't switched but to be honest I want to find an alternative just because of the hype.

I tried agave once and it made me gag! And trust me I've got a sleeve of steel nothing makes me gag! :P

I really like the stevia pure extract it expensive but worth it because it ultra concentrated a tiny bit goes a LONG way.

It's better thank the truvias and such on the shelf.

http://www.probioticcleansingdiet.com/2013/04/02/whats-the-difference-between-stevia-and-truvia/

I'm still struggling with Water so I do a g-2 and a few diet soda streams in Water a day. But the reason I want to quit them is due to the research that suggests that the brain can't tell the diff between artificial and real sugar. When your sweet taste buds light up, it starts to secrete insulin thinking it's sugar.

Laura, this reminds me of your "why not to chew and spit" post. Same thing really.

To the OP, this is what I do at 8 weeks post-op. Calories between 600-700, Protein at 60-80 gms, carbs below 50 and the rest is fat. I aim for 13 gms of Fiber which is appropriate for my caloric Intake, and less than 25 gms of sugar.

BUT.

A lot of people have great success at simply monitoring total calories and total Protein. The reason this doesn't work for me is because I used to be carb sensitive and I don't want to test myself quite yet. Many people here report losing on between 60-100 gms of carbs or more.

So try out a few scenarios and focus not on weight loss, but on what makes you feel energetic and in control, and what you think you will be able to sustain in the long run.

My 2 cents :)