Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mirena Coil slow weight loss?

My Mirena coil is overdue for replacement and I've just had a letter suggesting I see the doctor to either have it replaced or removed. I've had a Mirena in for 10 yrs now and I'm 47 I had it fitted to stop heavy periods and it's worked. It has also seen me gain a lot of weight hence my sleeve surgery in May and in that time I've only lost 42lbs which is very slow weightloss in 4 months. If I have it removed I might lose weight quicker but I'm also suffering quite recently with bad facial acne and I've heard that can be due to the Mirena coil although I wasn't sure if it was because of surgery and change of diet whichever it is I've had enough of it at my age!

Really not sure what to do as I would love to lose weight more quickly than I appear to be doing despite eating only 800 cals per day but u dot relish the return or heavy periods although I may be moving into menopause who knows? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have to make a decision very soon. Thank you.

No evidence that Mirena causes slow weight loss.... my surgeon told me to leave it in, it wasn't a factor in my sleeve pre or post surgery.

i think 42 lbs in 4 months is pretty good going, congratulations. So why the rush to lose weight faster?

Most of us have taken years to gain the weight, so it's not all going to drop off within a few months (although that was always my dream, lol.) And once you lose it, now that you are sleeved, there's more chance it will stay off for good.

Speak to your PCP about whether to replace Mirena or not, the acne etc. But think about why you feel your weight loss is too slow. Maybe cut yourself some slack, have you ever lost 2.5lbs every week for 4 months???? Good luck.

I've had mirena for almost 5 years now and I intend to replace it this winter. I never felt it was a factor in my weight at all. The depo shots I used to get years ago DID cause weight gain though!

Ok thanks for your responses I googled the Mirena and only then discovered that many other women report that is caused weight gain, libido problems and acne.

My experience with my Mirena is the opposite and I am on my third one. It keeps my period acne away and my PMS isn't as bad as it was on the pill.

Once you are past the five years, your Mirena is no longer hormone releasing so there is nothing to chemically cause acne or weight gain. Th heavy periods are due to estrogen release from the fat cells. I'm experiencing my first bleeding periods in 10+ years. Ugh!

I had a conversation yesterday with my OB about this same thing. I expressed to her that I had difficulty losing weight. She told me that 60-70% of her Mirena patients reported the same thing. Not so much of a problem with weight gain, but problems losing with a Mirena. I then told her that I was having WLS, without hesitation she said I should have my Mirena taken out and possibly consider tubal ligation or esure. She also suggested ablation to resolve my issue of heavy cycles. My nutritionist said the same thing - that my Mirena could possibly slow down my loss. I am having it removed. She also indicated that the Mirena was maybe only one factor of many (middle age, insulin resistance, etc.) that was causing me difficulty with losing weight. I'm sure this form of b/c effects everyone differently.

I am pre-op, planning a December surgery.

That's very interesting I have already been told I have insulin resistance some years ago do I have always struggled to lose weight I have always had to work very hard to get weight off and post sleeve that appears to still be the case.

Obviously every woman is different but for me it has stopped my periods which is good but the weight, spots and libido issues all definitely appear to be closely linked to the Mirena reading the experiences of many many other women who report similar problems.