Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal Hernia and the sleeve?

I just went in for my upper GI and they said they saw a Hiatal Hernia and that it can likely be corrected during baritric surgery. No mention of if it would prevent me from having a sleeve. I'd rather not go with RNY. Any sleevers have a Hiatal Hernia or more info?? Thanks :)

I'm fairly certain that that it's common practice to repair a hiatal hernia at the same time that your VSG happens. I found out that I have an umbilical hernia and my surgeon will deal with it when I have my VSG on October 15th.

I have a hiatial hernia as well that was found during my endoscopy. The gastroenterologist said it will not impede the surgery and they will repair it then.

My surgeon said if I had one, he would fix it at the time of my sleeve as well.

I'm actually 7 weeks post-op - they also discovered a hiatial hernia when they did my endoscopy. Surgeon repaired it at the same time that he did my sleeve. Just a little extra soreness in the throat for a couple of days - you will be fine! Good luck to you - we'll be waiting for you on the loser's bench!!

I am 4 weeks post op. I had a hiatal hernia repaired during the sleeve. My surgery was on August 22! I personally had a lot of chest discomfort after, they said it was from the removal. Tums, Pepcid, omeprazole were my friends lol, helped me. I now have no discomfort. Good luck;)

I didn't know I had one until I woke up from surgery.

I had one and they repaired it. They said that might have contributed to the chest pains I had after surgery.

I have one as well. My Dr will fix it when he does my surgery this Monday the 14. I think I looking forward to getting that thing fixed and the surgery's just gonna be a bonus.

Mine was repaired during surgery. It was a little uncomfortable for a day but you won't notice it. Just feels like slight pressure under your breastbone.

Me too. Hiatal hernia discovered during pre-op endoscopy. Dr said he will fix when he does sleeve. Said its normal to do both at same time.

I met up with someone from my mandatory classes who happened to just walk out of her appointment with her surgeon. She was told that she had the same hernia and that they will now do rny instead because of it. It was explained that revisions are done because of issues with the sleeve and hernia. I'm just trying to wrap my head around rny instead of sleeve. I will find out on Tuesday for sure.

Dr. Kim told my husband he spent more time on my hietal hernia than he did on the sleeve. Prior to the sleeve I had reflux BIG time, since the surgery I have had very little reflux and stopped taking AcipHex!! He must have done a fantastic job.

I met up with someone from my mandatory classes who happened to just walk out of her appointment with her surgeon. She was told that she had the same hernia and that they will now do rny instead because of it. It was explained that revisions are done because of issues with the sleeve and hernia. I'm just trying to wrap my head around rny instead of sleeve. I will find out on Tuesday for sure.

This may be a really dumb question..... But what is 'rny'?