Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UK Local Lap-Band Support

I know the only reason I had a chance at having the lapband was by having a BMI of 40 or above. It's a pity I didn't even consider the NHS route, may of saved me some money :eek:

I must admit I was shocked when I was bang on 40. I even checked myself and I couldn't ignore the numbers. That is the point when you are 'clinically' obese. It was a shock I can tell you.

As for Ann Diamond, I have mixed feelings about her. If you read her story about her lapband disaster in Belgium it showed that she hadn't done any research and just toook the recommendation of a friend. From teh very beginning Iw ould have been very suspicious as she had no pre-op preparations, it was an in and out scenario.

The story came out just as I was going for my op, some women who were booked in the same time as me cancelled because of it. They really did miss out, the service was superb and it was more like a holiday than a hospital stay.

Anne was lucky she was a celebrity and the hospital group needed some good press, their rep is somewhat questionable. I have no doubt if things had continued the way they had for Anne, her own Dr would have stepped in and we would never of heard anything about it!

So I'm not a fan of Anne. Sorry she really does irk me, but I shall shut up now.

Phew, thanks Liberty...it will be intresting to see how my tastes change, and my I am envious you are a size 16, wow Id love to be that, Im currently a 22/24 at the mo.

anniegs, good luck for Tuesday, let us know how it goes, it is more expensive, but I thought the support package looked good. Hope your ankle feels better soon x

thank you you guys - I must admit I feel very weepy and sorry for myself today - just the anticipation and anxiety I suppose. People have been lovely on this forum it's a reall fillip to find out what others do or don't do. Lynne thankyou for your email too that was really kind of you.

Suzanne - I agree totally about Ann D.. bet she had the whole lot free and a personal trainer thrown in to boot!

Hi girls,

Yeah u r right suzanne. It does differs individually re what you can or cant eat. After meeting up with my mate last fri (another bandster who had the op same day as me, we share same room and same doc too), I am considering a de-fill. This is bcos I think having my band near max at 6.8ml on a 7ml band is giving me too tight a restriction and truly stopping me from any quality of life. My mate is filled at 5.5ml and has lose nearly 4stones. I hv lose 24lbs, nearly 2stones. (We both had it done 5months ago) The difference is because i have an underactive thyroid which make my weight lost significantly slower than those without this problem. Also I believe it does depend on how much one need to lose as well.

Im going to Dom Rep next monday, when I return I think I will seriously consider a de-fill of at least 0.8ml when I come back.

I agreed with what u say re Anne Diamond too. An intelligent tv presenter like herself not doing any research prior to her op is unbelievable. I think she's jus trying to cover her embarrassment of taking part in the UK greatest loser program when she already had a band fitted. And Hosp group is just using her to advertise their band op.

Good luck Anniegs. Sorry to hear re yr ankle but I had an op on my foot in UK 1 week b4 I trvl to Belgium for my band op. My foot was still in bandage when I hopped into the Hosp for my lap band op. The truth is, my foot hurts more than my lap band op. So you will be find.

Hello.. I'm back and banded! blimey - the anxiety and nerves but I survived and am back at home.. You were right - I'd never have been able to drive myself home, much to sore, but am getting better every day and am quite content with this liquid diet! Thanks for your support and advice everyone, it really helped.. now where do I get a ticker from??

weight.png

Hi Guys

just browsing the website and found this thread. I was banded in Jan 05 and have now lost 7 stone, at the moment struggling to keep it off as have very little restriction. Anyhow, great to read some posts from some fellow UKers.

Gaynor

Hi I am a member of the uk wls FORUM SITE. I think i could be wrong, the first years membership is free.If its just a bandsters site u want could we not use this link on this site to stay in touch with each other. Bye the way anyone in the west country out there.]Mrs D

Hi I am a member of the uk wls FORUM SITE. I think i could be wrong, the first years membership is free.If its just a bandsters site u want could we not use this link on this site to stay in touch with each other. Bye the way anyone in the west country out there.]Mrs D

Mrs D. I am from the West Country; just outside Bath. I was banded just over 3 weeks ago privately and I hope to get my first fill in the next 2 weeks. Feel free to pm me anytime.

hi ya

im from the UK

was banded in Dec 06

in Belgium

have 3.5ml in band

thanks

mine:)

:hungry: Hello uk lap band type people, I'm having my surgery (sheffield) in a few weeks and beginning to get anxious! I haven't told any of my family as they'd think me mad and the gossip would be rife.. so I feel like I have this huge secret. I'm hoping I'll be able to drive myself back from the hospital.. any support from fellow bandsters would be great. Thanks

annie

aNNIE I think thatthere is a support group up your way. Dont no if u would be interseted.Fay

Hello again people - I've been away because my computer has crashed at home! now back at work since being banded, doing ok - on all things mushie.. feel like I've taken my eye of the ball, so need all the support I can get.

good luck everyone

hiya Annie

good to hear you have had

your OP juat ask and i will

try and answer if i can

all the best

mine

Hi Annie,

Welcome back! Glad tohear you have had your op and you are back online.

Please don't beat yourself up about thinking you have taken your eye off the ball. The band doesn't immediately work, you and your band have to get mentally and physically used to the changes. It really isn't a quick process. I'm at 4 months now, just about (thought it was longer!), and I am still making silly mistakes and learning my limitations.

So any questions or support you need, fire away we are all in the same boat and here to help each other,

Congratulations on taking your first steps in getting control back of your body!

Kindest regards

Suzanne xxxxx

So I'm not a fan of Anne. Sorry she really does irk me, but I shall shut up now.

I have to agree with you - I saw her on tv the other day and to be honest I didn't think she looked like she had lost much weight. [Has she put it back again??] And she banged on and on about bringing up her kids alone. My God there are hundreds of women bringing up kids alone and they do a great job and don't complain all the time.

Anyway I'm onto day 10 after having band fitted and feel great - I have lost about 10 lbs since I started on the liquid diet 1st March, my scars are all healing nicely and I don't feel hungry. My only worry is that I haven't had any contact with the Clinic since the day after I came home. I thought by now I would have had an appointment for my 2 week check up.

Thats a fantastic weight loss GC53! You must feel great! Another 12 days then I'll be having a lap band fitted! I'm obsessing a bit in my mind about it now....cant seem to think about much else!

Do you have any pre surgery tips from your experience?