Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 14 months out and have been trying to do more exercise. I am currently trying to do "more" than I have ever done before. I am in a group trying to do 100 miles of walking/running/biking over the next month. In addition to that, I am also getting ready to walk a 1/2 marathon in less than a month. And to top it all off, I am in my final semester of Nursing school. My problem is that I feel so weak and exhausted. I need help! Does any one know what I can do to make my muscles feel stronger, to get energy back and to fuel my body. Should I be doing more strength training? I am lost! I have never been good at this and just need some advice... Has anyone been through it and help me out...

"Jar".........I commend you on your attempts to do all of that......sounds like it could be quite overwhelming. Try not to underestimate what mental/emotional stress can do physically to a body....in addition to all of the physical goals you are trying to accomplish with all of the exercise. Since you're in nursing school, you probably already have a bit of an idea about this already. Do you think maybe you're doing too much? How long are your exercise sessions? If your blood work looks good and you're getting in your Protein, along with some complex carbs, there may not be much you can do other than cut back on some of what you're doing. Is there any other information that we need to know? From what you've told us, it may just be a matter of doing too much......?

I am sure u are probably right. And to top it off I forgot to mention the 3 little kids too! My workout sessions are all under an hour because I get to worn out. Maybe I need to add some more complex carbs? I am pretty sure I don't get enough of those in. I am so scared to gain the weight back that I am willing to do anything I need to.

Well there ya go............3 kids on top of that....wow! :o I bet you can be Super Mom and be fit and get your nursing education without killing yourself exercise-wise. ;) Maybe set your priorities (kids, school), then let your exercise follow when it can? To be fairly fit and healthy, there's really no need to leave the gym absolutely exhausted and no need to exercise for more than an hour a day. Some people would maybe say I don't exercise enough since I'm only in the gym about 45-50 minutes (during my lunch break), but I think I do just fine. EXERCISE SMARTER, NOT NECESSARILY LONGER OR HARDER. :D On the slow carbs, you need those for maximum recovery. Find a few complex carbs that you like and make sure to eat some with your lean Protein. For me, I stick with oats, lots of broccoli, quinoa, spinach and just a few sweet potatoes or brown rice. Everyone has differing and variable sensitivities to carbs, just gauge yours by being in tuned with your body and see how much and which kinds help you recover better. The simple ("white") carbs are really not what you want. Not sure if you have a lot of these or not. The complex carbs digest slowly and keep insulin levels fairly steady. The simple carbs (sugar, flour, etc) can spike it and then cause you to crash and feel exhausted. So try to stick with the slow carbs and see how you do with them?? Good luck!!

Wow jar312 I'm tired just reading your post. Are you still taking the Vitamins & eating 50-60 GMs of Protein? If not, that will zap your energy. Also with finishing school & trying to log 100 miles in a month, maybe you are just stretching yourself too thin (no pun). Try backing off some intense exercise time & check how you're eating, if things don't improve maybe you need to check with the doc. Keep up the great work, and rest when you can.

Jar just read about those 3 kids, you have permission to rest!!!

Thanks everyone. Maybe I am trying to stretch myself too thin. I always eat my Protein first but I haven't logged that. I think I am gonna try that first.

Thanks everyone. Maybe I am trying to stretch myself too thin. I always eat my Protein first but I haven't logged that. I think I am gonna try that first.

"Jar"......it's great that you want to do all of that! I think that just having that frame of mind will be what motivates you to succeed in all of your aspirations! I know, that sounded a little cheesy, but having confidence in yourself and getting out of your comfort zone is important. Way to go!

"Jar"......it's great that you want to do all of that! I think that just having that frame of mind will be what motivates you to succeed in all of your aspirations! I know' date=' that sounded a little cheesy, but having confidence in yourself and getting out of your comfort zone is important. Way to go![/quote']

I agree! I think losing all the weight gave me the confidence to do things that I never would have done before. I am so thankful for this opportunity that I have been blessed with. I appreciated everyone's comments. They have really helped me :)

I would highly suggest you record the lectures in nursing school and play them using headphones while you walk.

I found out I was low on Iron, which affected my energy level big time. I didn't even realize I was so low until I had blood work done at work. It would be worth looking into if you haven't already figured out what was going on. I had no idea it was my iron. I just figured I was burning the candle at both ends....