Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm wondering what the surgery experience has been like for teachers. Did you wait until summer for surgery? Did you have to take time off during the school year? Is the surgery covered under FMLA?

I'm worried that I'll have to wait until summer, even though I'm about to start my six month supervised diet plan. Just dealing with the anxiety of finally getting started, and praying nothing stands in the way .

I'm not a teacher, but I work for a school system (psychometrist). I wanted to have my surgery during the summer, but I couldn't because of the stupid six month required Active Health management. I'm having my surgery Monday and I will have to take time off work, but I want to do it this year in case my insurance company decides they're not covering it next year. The surgeon gave me papers to turn in for FMLA.

HI, I'm not a teacher but I work in the main office of a high school (so basically we are on the same schedule). I am currently going through the 6 month requirement and asked my Doctor if we could really push for December during the 2 week break. He didn't see a problem with it. When I finish with my NovemberI weigh in I need to go over and give them a heads up so everything is done and when I finish that final weigh in they will submit, Keeping my fingers crossed for the surgery to happen during the two week winter break. You can always make sure you keep in touch with a sub you like and give them your lesson plans. I think you can use FMLA. It will just come out of your sick time. Well....at least here in California. Hope that helps.

I am a first grade teacher. I am taking2 weeks off ad then back to work. I hope that it will be enough time. Oct. 21st is my sleeve surgery.

ι'm avteacher. i started procedures in december and had surgery end of june to be sure i would have recovered fully before going back to class

I am a school administrator, and I have the entire month of July and three weeks in August off. I had my surgery on June 6, took about a week off, and then worked from home/stopped by the office for another week. It was perfect timing. I was so glad to have my surgery during the summer. It gave me a chance to really work on my eating plan, work out regularly, and just kind of get used to life with a sleeve. I would highly recommend having the surgery as soon as school is out for the summer or even Christmas.

I'm wondering what the surgery experience has been like for teachers. Did you wait until summer for surgery? Did you have to take time off during the school year? Is the surgery covered under FMLA?

I'm worried that I'll have to wait until summer' date=' even though I'm about to start my six month supervised diet plan. Just dealing with the anxiety of finally getting started, and praying nothing stands in the way .[/quote']

I'm an elementary school teacher and am going in on Friday to get all of this started... I didn't know it was a 6 month diet pre-op... I thought it was 3.... I was hoping they'd do the surgery the week before Christmas .... Guess it will have to be next summer :-(! Ill let u know what they say Friday.

I teach jr high in Texas....currently waiting for final approval and hoping for late Oct surgery date. My personel dept said I'm covered under FMLA for time off but will have to use short term disability 60% pay if I want to receive $ during approved time off. I'm also applying for a sick "bank" called catastrophic leave but a board decides if that will be approved and it takes time.

I'm an elementary school teacher and am going in on Friday to get all of this started... I didn't know it was a 6 month diet pre-op... I thought it was 3.... I was hoping they'd do the surgery the week before Christmas .... Guess it will have to be next summer :-(! Ill let u know what they say Friday.

My six month pre-op diet is set by my insurance. So, it may be three for you. I read the rules on FMLA on the Dept of Labor website. Looks like from what they say and what you all have said, I should covered. I am really hoping for spring break, but I'll take summer if I need to. I'm just so excited to her this going.

My six month pre-op diet is set by my insurance. So' date=' it may be three for you. I read the rules on FMLA on the Dept of Labor website. Looks like from what they say and what you all have said, I should covered. I am really hoping for spring break, but I'll take summer if I need to. I'm just so excited to her this going.[/quote']

Oh, I just love autocorrect. I'm excited to get this going. Lol

I'm a 4th grade teacher. I had my surgery a week after school ended in May. For me personally, I knew I wouldn't have to take that much time off, but was afraid of dealing with food issues with my new sleeve like upset stomach, etc while I was still in the classroom. As it turned out, I have only had one issue with eating the wrong type of food and it happened last week, when I am 4 months out. Go figure!

I'm worried that I'll have to wait until summer' date=' even though I'm about to start my six month supervised diet plan. Just dealing with the anxiety of finally getting started, and praying nothing stands in the way .[/quote']

I am a teacher and had my surgery during the summer. I didn't necessarily plan it that way.... As soon as I was able to get everything done and approved, happened to be in July. I needed two full weeks to recover but everyone is different. I think I would have been ok if I did it during one of the week long vacations and then taking sick time after. I was extremely tired and very gassy afterward and def would have needed that second week. Not to mention the unstable an uncontrollable 'stomach issues'. I would have hated being at work and needing to run to the bathroom. Best of luck to you!

Can anyone give me any advice as to what I should ask the doctor? I really was going in to ask for phentermine and my doctor replied that it has many side effects... Will I consider bariatric surgery instead???? Very nervous..... But so happy to know its covered by insurance....