Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An English Sleever's Journey

My pre-op diet starts tomorrow when I will be 14 days pre-op, so I figured today was as good a time as any to start my diary. Hopefully writing everything down (even if nobody reads it) will help keep me focused and further down the line, if I feel myself falling off the wagon, will remind me why I don't want to let myself get back to the state I am in now.

So - hi! I'm Natalie, I'm 23 and living in London with my lovely boyfriend. I'm originally from Manchester (about 200 miles away) and sometimes I get really lonely living so far away, which doesn't help with my emotional eating! At my first consultation I weighed 235 pounds and had a BMI of 44. I fully expect that has gone up since then though. I have had a very bad week and have definitely felt kind of sad about the fact that my relationship with food is going to have to change forever, and so have had lots of my favourite foods before I give them up. I know there are differing opinions as to whether this is a good thing to do or not, but I feel like I have had my 'grieving period' and am ready to start my pre-op diet tomorrow knowing that, actually, it has made me feel rubbish and I don't like how these foods make me feel. Had a bit of a 'Eureka' moment earlier when I finished my dinner and felt sad that I would not have a 'normal' relationship with food again - but then it hit me like a tonne of bricks that the way I eat now is definitely not normal, and if anything, being sleeved will (hopefully!) bring me a lot closer to 'normal'.

I'll end this post here to stop me from boring you all, but I feel like this is going to almost be my therapy - my boyfriend is very slim and active and fit and he doesn't understand at all (although he tries his hardest to!) so here I can almost talk to myself! I will check in tomorrow to make sure I am keeping on track!! Nx

Hi Natalie! Congratulations on taking this big step! I'm going to have surgery in two months, so I certainly identify with the conflicting emotions. I also don't have much support from those around me, so this forum has been very useful. Keep us updated! :)

My journey happened so fast I didn't have time to have all my favorites. i kinda feel lucky, think it might have messed with my mind. I decided to talk with a surgeon and 4 days later when I did he said he could do the surgery in 2 weeks so I left there and had to go on all liquids. The first 3 days sucked, caffeine withdrawals, and pure hunger. I had to have a ts of Peanut Butter at night with a sip of milk or I couldn't fall asleep. Surgery wasn't that bad. You just have to deal with it. No surgery is fun!!! I am 4 weeks out and feel so much better. I've lost 20 lbs but only a couple of people have noticed but I am starting to get, "wow you look really good today" so i'll take that for now. I went back to work (hair dressing) 10 days after surgery and I was fine, a little extra tired but nothing I couldn't handle. It's weird eating now, all the things that I thought I would want I don't. I really don't crave anything. I really do eat because I am hungry but 3oz is all I can eat and I usually have to make myself finish it. The first bite is the only really good bite. I have had some issues with being mad because I don't have the relationship with food anymore. I miss it... I am getting over it!! I have taken up yoga and I have been going to the beach as much as I can, just have to find things to fill my time and I find myself not thinking about food as much. Every day seems to get easier!!! Good luck to you!!!

Hello y'all, I'm pulling for you and can't wait to follow your journeys. I'll be following in your footsteps around Christmas time!

Thanks for responding, everybody!

First day of pre-op done and it hasn't been too bad at all (although my boyfriend was out last night so I didn't sleep, so have managed to nap half the day away today!)

My food has been like this:

Breakfast:

22g Rice Krispies with semi skimmed milk

Snack;

1 banana

Lunch:

2 Ryvita with light Philadelphia cheese

1 nectarine

Dinner:

60g sirloin steak with roasted pepper, courgette and onion

1 layered weightwatchers fromage frais

And lots of Water and peppermint tea. According to MyFitnessPal this has added up to about 600 calories.

Good Luck from Southend on Sea, Essex!! You'll do fantastically well and when the weight starts dropping off you won't remember that faulty relationship with food :)

And here's a hollar from a London chick, 2 days out, currently in Scotland! You'll do fine. Keep us informed! xx

Good Luck from Southend on Sea' date=' Essex!! You'll do fantastically well and when the weight starts dropping off you won't remember that faulty relationship with food :)[/quote']

Thank you! Hopefully you're right, I am feeling so optimistic this time. Never want to let myself get to heavy again.

And here's a hollar from a London chick' date=' 2 days out, currently in Scotland! You'll do fine. Keep us informed! xx[/quote']

Thank you! How did your surgery go?! I hope you're recovering well and aren't in too much pain

Thank you! Hopefully you're right, I am feeling so optimistic this time. Never want to let myself get to heavy again.

Well that's just the right attitude to have!! Me too, this was my last chance. I've lost almost 8st in 7 months... Life has changed drastically!! I'm loving it. Where are you having your op? and who is your consultant?

Well that's just the right attitude to have!! Me too' date=' this was my last chance. I've lost almost 8st in 7 months... Life has changed drastically!! I'm loving it. Where are you having your op? and who is your consultant?[/quote']

Oh wow, that's incredible! You have done so well - such an inspiration!

I'm having my op done up in Manchester with Prof. Basil Ammori. Having it down there means my mum can look after me post-op, and I've heard so much good stuff about Prof. Ammori

Thank you! How did your surgery go?! I hope you're recovering well and aren't in too much pain

You're more than welcome and thank you.

Us Brit sleevers are thin on the ground ('scuse the pun!), so it's nice to meet some others. As for the surgery, I think things went relatively well. Surgery is surgery and I had some trapped wind and anesthesia issues, but on talking to the nurses in the ward, apparently I was good in dealing with it (Who knew I'd be capable of that?!) Here I am, day two, sat in bed with my man beside me, feeling pretty chipper. Plus a bit out of my head on pain killers, so it's all good! I can walk, I can sip things, sometimes I ache, sometimes I burp, sometimes I go for a little walk and feel better, sometimes I get tired and have a nap. I think the best thing I can say (and this is obviously based on VERY limited experience), is something I read from a sage person on this site previously: Listen to your body. It won't put you wrong. I certainly found that out when they tried to give me dis-solvable paracetamol. I'd let it sit, so the bicarb had 'evaporated' ; but as soon as it went in, it came straight back up! So, guess what was first off my list of 'acceptable drugs to take'?!

Either way, you'll be great. Keep positive, keep your eyes on the prize and keep in touch. If you have any questions or queries you feel I can answer or help with, or you just want to have a natter; give me a shout.

Best of luck! xx

Madam R, sounds like you're doing great!! Yes, I never said no to the drugs either!! Maryw/outsound - that's a great idea to have your mom close by for your recovery!!

Madam R, sounds like you're doing great!! Yes, I never said no to the drugs either!! Maryw/outsound - that's a great idea to have your mom close by for your recovery!!

Thanks, Sanks, I certainly hope to continue the way I'm going. I would be elated to achieve the successes you've had, for sure. Amazing. How's your life changed since? Would be good to hear your story :)

In fact, I wonder if we could start up a British thread? Not that i want to marginalise anyone and all folks are always welcome, but there are certainly differences in the way things are done over here to how they are done in the states. Particularly when it comes to Protein shakes, Isopure access and the likes? Anyone know how we'd be able to do that - if there was sufficient interest? x

Well I had the band before... And life sucked majorly.. Practically spent my life vomiting!! It was a long NHS route but very worth the wait.. My only regret that it took so long!! My sleeve journey has been relatively easy, I'm not sure if that's because I was so ready for it? I don't know. I work out tons and I love it. I've always loved my exercise and even did I Triathlon before my op - I never let anything stop me!! It's just SO much easier now.

It's very different post op to the USA dr's and what we have available here. To be honest post op, I couldn't tolerate ANYTHING!! No tea, no coffee, no Water, no Protein shakes, no Soup. All I had was very diluted Lipton peach ice tea... It was after about 9 days when I started soft purée foods. I had petit filous frommage frais, Philly cheese, scrambled egg and puréed my own chicken and fish. Had that for a week then moved onto proper food. The best thing I could stomach was prawns.. And how I love them still. My favourite food item. I've been very lucky as I've only in the last couple months introduced Protein Shakes.. I don't like them and prefer to get my Protein from food. They taste awful and at times make me a little nauseous. I haven't stressed about my protein intake.. I just eat what I can and be done with that.. I think I get about 60-80g per day.. But not in the beginning! I have also not lost any hair or anything. Obviously I was rather large so I lather my body in bio tissue oil everyday.. I don't know if it makes a difference but my skin feels soft. I take perfection skin, nails and hair, my Multivitamin and an Iron tablet... But also only started those about 2 months post op!! Fitter food London is a brilliant website and I mainly use their recipes-which are free.. Portions adapted to suit me!! They're just basically high protein, clean foods!!

http://fitterlondon.co.uk/fitter-food/

Recently I have begun to dabble in cooking with Protein powder and I get my stuff off the protein pow website.. I'm about to make low carb Peanut Butter protein Cookies...

http://www.proteinpow.com/?m=1

Mostly just focus on your hydration and the rest will come!! Good luck :)