Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ive been very open about my surgery and havent had anyone say anything negatively to me in any way! everyone in my life has seemed to be really supportive. And happy for me, anyone else open and feel good about it? I feel no shame or regrets or any doubt in my mind that this is what I want to do, and that im doing this for me.

I'm open with mine too. Everyone on Facebook knows, everyone at work too. They see me eating my Jello and drinking my Protein Shakes (doing my 2 week preop) and they're always nice about asking me how I'm doing. They've all been very nice.

I told everyone! And I don't regret it at all. I got much needed support from everyone around me, and was even surprised by the incredibly positive feedback from a few people who I had anticipated would react negatively. Any time I am asked about my weight loss, either at work or by friends I haven't seen in awhile, I always tell them about my surgery. Keeping a secret this big just wasn't an option for me; I am a really bad liar and I can't keep my stories straight! Just takes too much energy to cover it up. I'm proud of the steps I took to get healthier, and I find in general that people are understanding and sometimes curious about the gory details. So I say tell everyone you know!

I decided in the very beginning that I was going to be very open about what I was doing. I've always had a personal philosophy that it's usually better to be open about things (assuming you are the kind of person that can handle any negativity that decision might bring... it's definitely not the right decision for everyone) because you never know who might be struggling with the same problem and feel like some kind of freak or need someone to talk to about it and not know where to go. Being open about my surgery is already paying off in big ways, in my opinion. Benefitting myself in that I've been having some challenges, and it's much easier to miss work to deal with them since my boss and coworkers know exactly what's going on. There is no chatter in the background that I'm somehow taking advantage of our leave or FMLA policies. More importantly, though, the other day, a friend at work brought another one of our coworkers down to me to talk about what she's going through as she's trying to navigate all the decisions she needs to make as she decides to have bariatric surgery. I was really pleased that I was able to provide help and camaraderie to someone else that is going through this. I feel that being open about it was just the right decision for me, and it feels good that my being open might help someone else.

I have been extremely open. This is the best decision I have made FOR MYSELF and I refuse to let anyone make me feel anything but proud. This was a very empowering choice and I won't look at it any other way. I have no problem shutting down anyone's negative crap and not very many people have had anything bad to say about the surgery, more that I traveled to Mexico to have it done. I am always sad to read that people feel the need to hide it.

I'm a bit of an open book so no hiding it for me! I do understand we are all different so what is right for one is not for another. I have been very lucky that I have faced very little negativity and like thedivinemsQ I have just shut it down. I love my sleeve it's the thing I have ever done for myself. I am enjoying this journey and looking ahead :-)

I decided not to tell anyone. Most people, when they ask me how I lost the weight...which I say, eating a lot less, low calorie, low carb, and high Protein ( which is all the truth) usually answer me by saying, " oh I am so glad you did it the right way." I have found out that a lot of people consider having wls as cheating, or losing weight the " wrong way". It is very irritating to me how negative people can be about wls. When someone gets a heart bypass are they cheating by having that surgery? No, they are saving their life! That is how I view wls...it saved my life. I couldn't have gotten healthy without it. I am very happy that I chose to keep it to myself. I really don't think it is anyone's business what surgeries I have had. I am happy that you have had such a positive experience with telling everyone though. Wish I could have been as brave as you! :)

anyone else open and feel good about

Keilsnikof

besides my husband, my 5 silblings all live in different states

2 years ago on Thanksgiving we all got to together

i told each one seperately my news

noing my weight "issues" over the past many years, - they all were very happy for me

after WLS and people were seeing "less and less" of me - they started asking how i lost the weight

the first time my neighbor asked me, i replied i was eating better, healthier excersizing et al

by the time i fininshed the sentence i found myself telling her - "oh, i also has bariatric surgery"

she responded in the positive

she then proceeded to ask me about the surgery

from then on, i immediately told people i had bariatric surgery

it was a load of my shoulders that i was being open

I was lucky that i never heard any negative responses

kathy

Yes I've been completely open with everyone. Most of my friends and work colleagues watched my tortured band journey from 2008-2012. Everybody supported me post op when I returned to work and was as white as a ghost and barely made it through the day!!! And they still continue to support me and compliment my weightloss. There are a choice few who remain quiet but it doesn't bother me. I made this decision for myself and I have a long journey ahead. I would prefer the support, besides I found this surgery liberating so I want that freedom throughout my life to continue :)

I would love to feel as open as you all are but I'm not. I think it's because I'm just really embarrassed about my weight that I'm afraid of the backlash. I don't live in a small community but my circle is small where my kids play sports. I really don't want to sit in a room with people who I don't want to be friendly with and have them know my business.

However I do feel that once I reach my goal I will be an advocate for the surgery. But for right now I'm on the DL.

I admire your courage!!!

Glad to know others are so open and have good responses also...this is by no means.the easy way out even my surgeon said it was the hardest way out...people dont realize what you go through only you. But im glad ive been really open about mine and anyone that thinks negatively about it really doesnt care about me or my health and shouldnt be a part of my life if they think that way is how I see it.

I've been open about it so far because of my excitement, so there is no going back now. My only fear now is that something will cause me not to have the surgery, even though I already have my date and everything set up. I just don't want to have to deal with everyone seeing me heartbroken. So I wish I would've waited until after surgery to tell everyone, but it's too late. I guess I'm just being negative. Lol. Just don't wanna be disappointed. But come October 10th when surgery is over, I will be glad that I was open about it....

I feel the exact same way! Like oh I told everyone now its.not going to happen im on my.liquids and all ins copays have been paid for so it better happen lol!

Oh yes!!! I guess we just have to stop doubting. We've gotten this far, that's something right? Lol. When is your surgery?

Oct 7th. On day 2 of my pre op diet. When is yours?