Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation and the sleeve

As many of you know, I'm a travel agent. I really hated to ask for a seat belt extension and not being able to do much but sit on the beach. I was sleeved at the end of May and today am down 60 pounds.

Well, at 55 pounds lost I went on a cruise. Any of you ever done this? You know all of the food that is served on board...and in ports of call. I was with my hubby and parents...all eaters. I think I did pretty well...seeing there were a million Desserts etc on board.

The first night was bad.....I had a small soft serve icecream cone, then later that evening had a virgin mudslide. Ugh!! My first time having "dumping"!!! needless to say I watched the rest of my trip. My cocktails consisted of watered down cranberry juice in a cute glass with a piece of fruit and straw. The bartenders were pretty cool when I told them I couldn't drink alcohol or soda. They didn't even charge for the juice. I got so tired of iced tea.

Every morning I had a fresh omelet made..well every other...I have to have bran Cereal about every other day to try to stay regular. Breakfast was fine. I always tried to eat a mid morning snack like I do at home, but no cheese sticks or fudgesicles on a ship. I tried to get a fresh fruit cup but man the soft serve icecream machine kept getting in my way. I only had a few, very very small ones. Hubby kept giving me the evil eye.

lunch was usually a yogurt cup and fruit..There was a little cafe onboard that you didn't feel like you had to load your plate at the buffet. dinner was usually a piece of baked chicken or fish. Not really eating any veggies yet, just mostly Protein as I get full really fast. Mid night snack was eating the pepperoni and cheese off a slice of pizza.....or these cute little mini croissant ham and cheese sandwiches. When ever I wanted dessert my hubby split it with me...the pieces are only about a 1 inch square anyway.

The point is, I didn't want to feel deprived. I took a portion of everything I felt I wanted to eat, but by the time I ate my protein there was not much room left for the other things. It was a bummer at the lobster house and getting a whole lobster and only being able to eat the claws....but I survived. My parents looked at me like wth....cuz I'd get full on a few bites. But that's ok, I had lost 55 pounds so far and I was walking the steps.

We took the steps and walked every chance we could. Now, before the sleeve I would've come home with an extra 5 pounds. I wouldn't have walked and taken the elevator.This time I maintained....so proud of myself. But back home for almost a week now and 5 more pounds gone...yippee!!!

Our next trip will be in April. I hope to be down another 30-40 pounds and parasail...that's my gift to myself...something I've always wanted to do.

Anyone else have anything to say about vacations????

Great story! And I think you did good. Thanks for sharing. Getting sleeved October 11.

I feared that I couldn't manage my food addiction that well early on. Of course, as a high BMI person who had already failed with the lapband... I was perhaps in a tougher situation then some. I didn't go on vacations during the losing phase. I did a few camping trips, and even that was hard. I am not saying this applies to everyone, but when you your BMI is over 50, you have a very long road to follow and I was not confident I could stay on course during a big vacation like a cruise.

Earlier this month month I did an 8 day trip to NYC, Philly and DC. I came back the same weight as I left which was some kind of miracle. I watched portions, I avoided fast foods and I tried to make lower carb choices but I certainly did NOT deprive myself. It helped that we walked about a million miles...LOL. I feel like i am getting the hang of this finally!

Great job staying on track on a cruise!!

I just got back from Florida on a week long vacation. I was on a 2 week stall when I went (at 4 months out I had avoided a stall up to that point). It was really hard not having a scale while I was out of town, but I survived! I didn't deprive myself at all, but I was eating small portions of mainly fresh seafood. I did drink too much alcohol but didn't really have any issues with it. I was walking on the beach and swimming a lot. I was able to move so much better and play with my kids! When I got back, my stall had broken and I was down 1 pound. Over the las few days, I've lost a couple more pounds. I'm happy with that!! I can't wait till Florida next year when I will be at goal :D

Vacations are difficult for me mainly because my partner is an eater. When we plan a trip, she's already planning WHERE we'll eat whereas I'm planning WHAT we'll do. I've learned to either order a-la-cart or just get an appetizer. Being as she is an eater, I usually can eat off her plate. She's had to learn to adjust to not eating at all you can eats while we're on vacation. There was one particular place she HAD to eat since they shut it down here in town. The manager was amazing and allowed me to order a single item. She charged me $1 per item i wanted. It was a mexican buffet, we walked all day, so i got one rolled cheese enchilada.

At first I dreaded vacations. My partner said it made her feel stupid to sit there eating a full pate while I nibble 5 bites. This is why I've went ahead and done appetizers. I know I'll be hungry in 2 hours anyway, so I take my leftovers and end up nibbling on them before they go bad. I really do push to find hotels with a refrigerator. Since I'm eating 5-6 mini meals, I snack constantly. I keep my leftovers there so i can heat them up later. The timing of eating is hard too. I guess it's one part of where we need the most family support is when we vacation or dine out.

It's working pretty good. I guess my biggest challenge will be in November when we go to Arizona...they have In-n-Out burger there.. Although, they have the 'carb friendly' burger now wrapped in lettuce. It's just me trying to not steal 1 fry.

It sounds like you did great with your cruise!!

I was a little apprehensive about the vacation. But I survived and had a wonderful time. I thank God that I got this surgery. It has been such a great tool. I get worried though. I know 3 people who had the bypass and have gained weight back. I know when I feel full not to force it :)