Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems with protein, help?

So I'm having a problem finding a Protein Drink that I like. For my preop diet I have Adkins advantage low carb and slim fast low carb. I've been trying out powdered drinks, like caribbean cooler Syntrax Nectar, and eas advantage powder, Unjury unflavored and a brand I got from GNC. All of them have this foul smell and taste I can't get over. I tried putting a lid and a straw and not smelling it but it's terrible. The ready to drink ones are just fine though. Also, unjury chicken Soup flavored wasn't bad, it didn't have that aftertaste or smell at all. So directly after surgery, will I be able to get enough Protein from what I can stand? I'm only on Clear Liquids for 3 days, on day 4 I'll be on 'full liquids' only 3 weeks till my surgery and I'm trying to do all I can to prep

I had the same problem with the funny smell from the Protein Shakes. I tried several different brands, and they all were horrible. Not the taste, but the smell. I finally found one I love. It has no funny smell, or taste. I use Isopure Low Carb. I get it at GNC. I've only tried the dutch chocolate flavor, but I am sure the others are good too. I'm 3 months out and still do 2 shakes a day. I swear the Protein shakes are the key to how fast I have lost. I'm down 72 pounds at 3 months. I think the protein keeps me full, and keeps me from craving other foods.

I like Premier Protein shakes. They have 30 grams of Protein, 160 cal. They taste really good. They can be purchased at costco or Sam's. Wal-Mart may have them but not in large containers.

I had the same problem with the funny smell from the Protein shakes. I tried several different brands, and they all were horrible. Not the taste, but the smell. I finally found one I love. It has no funny smell, or taste. I use Isopure Low Carb. I get it at GNC. I've only tried the dutch chocolate flavor, but I am sure the others are good too. I'm 3 months out and still do 2 shakes a day. I swear the Protein Shakes are the key to how fast I have lost. I'm down 72 pounds at 3 months. I think the Protein keeps me full, and keeps me from craving other foods.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you weigh to start? Your loss is really motivating! WOW!

I had surgery on June 11th, and my start weight, prior to the pre-op diet was 366. I lost about 18 pounds prior to surgery on the pre-op diet, and 54 since surgery. I really think, for me, the Protein Shakes have been key. I have been able to get in my Protein since a few days after surgery, and they have helped so much.The Isopure ones are not ready made, they are a powder. You can mix them with milk or Water. I do milk, since it ups the protein. What I like the most is that they are 25g of protein (31 if you use milk) for just 6 ounces! I drink 2 per day. They are a bit more expensive, but worth it to me. I'm drinking one right now. They taste NOTHING like the isopure Fruit Drinks, I HATED those. If you use the GNC customer rewards card, and watch their sales, its not bad. I just bought two big tubs for buy one, get one half off. They have those sales often. I've heard the costo ones are good too, just never tried them.

i was wondering can we have the Kellogg Breakfast Protein shakes.. im figuring if thatsb all i can get in the carbs and sugar will be ok.. until i can tolerate more

Sent from my iPad using VST

Isopure powder is definitely the best tasting Protein Shake. In 2 scoops you get 50grams of Protein. I usually mix it with Water. Dutch chocolate is very good. pineapple orange banana is very good it's one of my favorites but you you can't go wrong with any of the flavors I say testing out your favorite flavors is the best bet. I don't believe Kellogg's is nutritious enough. I big plastic can of ISOPURE from GNC is most cost effective at 50 bucks. Good luck!

A couple of things to keep in mind:

First, your tastes could change. I had all my "good" Protein powders picked out presurgery and now can't stand any of them.

Second, make sure your Protein source is protein isolate because otherwise your body won't absorb all the protein listed on the label. It can be whey isolate, soy isolate, etc.

Last, make sure your source is under 200 calories and provides at least 20 grams of protein. The most effective ones are well under 200 and provide 25 - 30 grams or more.

Good luck! I hate Protein drinks :P