Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For most of my life I have always had trouble with digestion. I struggled with diabetes since I was 14 yrs. old. In my 20’s my diet consisted of primarily coffee and nicotine and I wouldn’t eat dinners until late at night due to working 60 hour work weeks. When my husband was deployed in 2003/4 it was shortly after the birth of our second daughter that my health took a turn. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer that was not progressing but it was advised that I have a full radical hysterectomy to be safe. The surgery went fine and I recovered well and it was a few years before I started to notice that something wasn’t right. We had been transferred to WA state in 2006 I was 130lbs, healthy, exercised often. By 2007, I was almost 200lbs, constantly lethargic, couldn’t eat, and I noticed a large lump growing on my throat. Like a goof, I was worried it was throat cancer so I went to Madigan Army Medical and I let the military version of fast-food style medicine run rampant. First doc said it was lupus, 2nd doc said it was a reaction to my hysterectomy, and finally the third doc noticed my t4 was in the dirt and started treating me for hypothyroidism. After discovering this condition and doing a bit of research I tried many different forms of dieting, exercise programs, along with medications in order to attempt to lose the weight that was rapidly gaining yet unable to lose. At this point, with knowledge of the gastric bypass my mother had, I attempted to ask for assistance for approval for a gastric bypass. I was told, you’re not fat enough for that( I was 170lbs) and you just need diet and exercise (which I was doing). Later, in 2010 we were again PCS’d to Kansas. And my husband was yet again deployed for another year. My struggles got worse but I couldn’t give in because we had children to tend to, bills to pay, and a husband to support overseas. After a very bad series of infections and drastic shifts in weight ( going from 140 to 170 back to 140 then up to 200lbs within months of each) my husband demanded I go to the doctors. I had a team of different doctors in a few months’ time. I again started trying for the gastric bypass with the approval finally from my PCP. I chose an office for bariatric surgery that was closest to me and attended their seminar on the different procedures they offered. Filled out the paper work, did a psych eval, 6-months of medical assisted diet history, and finally had my paperwork submitted to the insurance 9 months later. The first attempt with Tricare at the time was denied. Again, I wasn’t “fat” enough. But we appealed due to other medical conditions such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, positional sleep apnea, and gallstones. It would take another 6 months. During this time I had an episode where I had to have emergency surgery to remove gallstones that were measured just shy the size of a quarter that had been blocking the bile duct to my liver. Originally , the surgery was supposed to be laparoscopic, but due to complications they opened me up to discover severe liver damage and sent me to KU Medical center (254 miles away)where they diagnosed me with End Stage Liver disease , stage 4 Non-alcoholic Cirrhosis. It was at this point that the hematologist said that if I had been approved the years before for a gastric bypass, most likely I would not have this much liver damage. He quickly referred me to their bariatric surgeon for a gastric sleeve due to the success rate of completely stopping Cirrhosis in Nash patients at the beginning of this year. So here I am, towards this surgery still in Pre-Op status. I go on 9/26 to finally meet with the surgeon to discuss I guess when we will do the surgery. I have already had my EDG, Blood work, etc. So here’s to hoping it is soon. At this point I would just like to get it over with. There is no way to avoid a transplant, but this surgery could at least prolong it for a good while and hopefully improve my health in the meantime. I am so worried that he will also say that I’m not “fat “ enough for the surgery due to my BMI being at 27% but I have been told regardless of my weight I need this in order to increase my chances of the cirrhosis not spreading. Crossing Fingers! And that is my story………

What a story! I am crossing my fingers for you, too!

You have a significant illness and comorbidites - your BMI is only one indication of whether you need the surgery, you also need it to treat that illness. I hope you get the approval ... will have everything crossed for you. Perhaps after that life will take a step change for the better for you :)

Thank you ladies. I honestly feel like the oddball because my symptoms don't match everyone's. Those I have chosen to tell about the surgery that I live around look at me as taking an easy way to lose weight. But they don't totally understand the reasons why I HAFT to have this surgery. I really appreciate your support. Thank you :)

My fingers are crossed for you. Good Luck and keep us posted.