Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months out and falling off wagon

Zenandnow, great advice!! Weightloss is absolutely not all about cardio, cardio, cardio. I have done no scheduled cardio workouts (treadmill, cross trainer, etc.) and I have lost my 104lbs (in 7 months) purely from strength training. It's so much more difficult to recover you muscle mass afterwards. If you are able to I would absolutely incorporate weights/strength training into your workout. Muscle is much more efficient at burning calories. If you look at Fiddleman's posts in the fitness section he also talks about his experiences with cardio in the beginning vs his weight/strength training. No good personal trainer will have you injuring yourself. They will be coaching you and your form! I'm only half way through my journey and for my weightloss my skin still looks pretty OK. I attribute this to my weight/strength training and functional workouts!! There is life beyond pounding the treadmill for hours! Just find the balance that works for you.. Obviously if you want to be a runner.. Then you will do more cardio :)

Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement and advice. Today was a better day...not perfect' date=' but I'm getting a handle on the carbs. And I need to stop striving for perfection anyway. That is a sure fire way to spend my days beating myself up.[/quote']

I'm at the same point you are. Weird how some things came back w a vengeance. I can't eat a lot but I see the carb cycle starting. I just have to start each day new and track. I do much worse when I don't track my food.

Zenandnow' date=' great advice!! Weightloss is absolutely not all about cardio, cardio, cardio. I have done no scheduled cardio workouts (treadmill, cross trainer, etc.) and I have lost my 104lbs (in 7 months) purely from strength training. It's so much more difficult to recover you muscle mass afterwards.[/quote']

Wow, 104 in 7 months, good for you! I agree, Fiddle's posts are really helpful. He has a lot of useful info, and it's great to get it from someone who's had WLS. Keep up the good work, you're doing an amazing job - inspirational for the rest of us!!

I was responding to 3 posts, after the initial posters post. Go to a therapist, quit eating ...., and get a personal trainer. I said on my opinion a personal trainer isn't the answer. I have had personal trainers, I taught aerobics for 3 years in the 80's and I have had a gym membership most of my adult life. Personal trainers are working clients at the gym I go do daily. The first thing a trainer will is put you on a treadmill, bike, whatever to warm you up. Some people on this site are struggling to except use at all. My NUT and Dr both say walk! They know anyone can get off the couch and walk, and get your heartrate up. Making something hard, and time consuming can make it to where folks give up. Several of my friends hired a trainer recently, they were sore, it interfered with there family and now they are doing nothing. I returned to weight through the years because I had gotten definition. But you really can't see that if there is significant fat on top if the muscle. I have had a visible six pack. Cardio burns calories. Anyone watched biggest loser? See the bodybugg, body media fit??? Well go but one! That changed my opinion about weights. On a treadmill or elliptical - I can burn over 10 calories a minutes if I push it. Lifting weights, I can be pouring sweat and burn 2 calories a minute. Of course you can do low weight and move at a cardio level... It is complicated. I lift daily at my job, I must avoid working my shoulders or I out of work.... Every minute I have is precious and I personally still believe cardio burns the most calories. Some people have no desire to do weights. I personally get sick of the trainers at the gym trying to get me as a client. I feel harassed. Some people have never worked out ever..., I still believe in cardio. I also feel like I was attacked for my statement when I was trying to make someone feel better after several rude comments....

I HEAR YA SISTA.....LOUD AND CLEAR... LETS TRY AND GET BACK TO BASICS TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!! WE GOT THIS ...WE CAN AND WILL DO IT!!!!!!!

I think 60 pounds in 4 month it is very good. You should not expect to loose a lot of wheight every month. I think 60 pounds it is a victory and dont feel guitly because your having a treat. Just remember wath you were eating before and now, it most must be a difference in the quantities? Sometime i have a treat to and i feel ok with that. So wath ! and as long i dont force my self to eat more. I thimk it is normal to have a treat sometime. I dint gained wheight and i am still loosing slowley and it is ok like that because i have all my life in front of my to loose and my skin is not to affect with a fast loosing. Be good with your self!

Wow' date=' 104 in 7 months, good for you! I agree, Fiddle's posts are really helpful. He has a lot of useful info, and it's great to get it from someone who's had WLS. Keep up the good work, you're doing an amazing job - inspirational for the rest of us!!

[/quote']

Thanks. Halfway through, but so grateful for my second chance. Loving life :)

I was responding to 3 posts' date=' after the initial posters post. Go to a therapist, quit eating ...., and get a personal trainer. I said on my opinion a personal trainer isn't the answer. I have had personal trainers, I taught aerobics for 3 years in the 80's and I have had a gym membership most of my adult life. Personal trainers are working clients at the gym I go do daily. The first thing a trainer will is put you on a treadmill, bike, whatever to warm you up. Some people on this site are struggling to except use at all. My NUT and Dr both say walk! They know anyone can get off the couch and walk, and get your heartrate up. Making something hard, and time consuming can make it to where folks give up. Several of my friends hired a trainer recently, they were sore, it interfered with there family and now they are doing nothing. I returned to weight through the years because I had gotten definition. But you really can't see that if there is significant fat on top if the muscle. I have had a visible six pack. Cardio burns calories. Anyone watched biggest loser? See the bodybugg, body media fit??? Well go but one! That changed my opinion about weights. On a treadmill or elliptical - I can burn over 10 calories a minutes if I push it. Lifting weights, I can be pouring sweat and burn 2 calories a minute. Of course you can do low weight and move at a cardio level... It is complicated. I lift daily at my job, I must avoid working my shoulders or I out of work.... Every minute I have is precious and I personally still believe cardio burns the most calories. Some people have no desire to do weights. I personally get sick of the trainers at the gym trying to get me as a client. I feel harassed. Some people have never worked out ever..., I still believe in cardio. I also feel like I was attacked for my statement when I was trying to make someone feel better after several rude comments....[/quote']

No attacking at all going on. Different forms of exercise work for different people, and we can all give our personal experiences. I personally never lost a pound in any aerobics classes I attended over the last 10 years, they were boring and felt like a chore - others thrive and love it!! Cardio is not everything, my personal trainer doesn't even have a treadmill or cross trainer in his studio! Exercise has moved on so much and these days there are thousands of different types from badminton to crossfit. I've never been hustled by a personal trainer, I always searched for one myself. Experimenting with exercise is good and finding out what suits us all is even better! Nutrition is still the key in my opinion. My disagreement was with the statement about cardio and Personal Trainers. All our experiences are unique and we should be able to have a good debate and share our experiences without feeling like we are being attacked. So please, don't feel I attacked you. I just disagree from my own personal experiences.

I did not post that looking for "permission" to eat junk. I was sharing my struggle and hoping for some encouragement to get back on track. And partly I was posting just to be accountable to myself by making it public. I was being honest.

I really find that there is a lot of negativity and judgement on this forum.

The best advice I've gotten so far was the suggestion about a therapist. The rest is just nasty and judgmental. And to the person who said "stop eating ****"... You are about 4 days out, right? I hope for your sake you don't struggle like I am at 4 months, but at 4 days food made me sick. That changes over time and it does get harder. I'm not making excuses for my choices. Just being real and looking for some help.

I am the person whom told you to stop eating ****.

All of you that are farther along have your ups, downs and inbetweens, as do us newly born into the sleeve world. There are struggles on day one, day 10, day 365, and day 43534, your struggle isn't special, it isn't uniquie, so please spare me your superior attitude.

The people that you are calling negative and judgmental all have a few things in common: determination to be better, an Iron will and a no bullshit policy with themselves. That isn't to say you aren't, but where people get irritated is, it is annoying to see someone post something like what you posted. Why? Because it is very commonsensical what you should do. If it isn't, I shall help you: think back to when you got this surgery. Why did you do it? Think of your thoughts then. As I said before, stop eating ****, to sum up. I haven't experienced your "stage-specific" struggle, obviously because I am not there yet. So what would I do if I "fell off the wagon." Get back up on the damn wagon. Eat to live, do not live to eat. Be happy, live on.

I am the person whom told you to stop eating ****.

All of you that are farther along have your ups' date=' downs and inbetweens, as do us newly born into the sleeve world. There are struggles on day one, day 10, day 365, and day 43534, your struggle isn't special, it isn't uniquie, so please spare me your superior attitude.

The people that you are calling negative and judgmental all have a few things in common: determination to be better, an Iron will and a no bullshit policy with themselves. That isn't to say you aren't, but where people get irritated is, it is annoying to see someone post something like what you posted. Why? Because it is very commonsensical what you should do. If it isn't, I shall help you: think back to when you got this surgery. Why did you do it? Think of your thoughts then. As I said before, stop eating ****, to sum up. I haven't experienced your "stage-specific" struggle, obviously because I am not there yet. So what would I do if I "fell off the wagon." Get back up on the damn wagon. Eat to live, do not live to eat. Be happy, live on.[/quote']

It was commonsensical to stop eating **** before you had surgery too...

Where was the Iron will and no bullshit policy then??

Lol!!!

Just eat till your sleeve tells you that you're full and you're going to lose weight.

That just isn't the case for me at all. I have NEVER eaten till I've experienced pain or thrown up, but I have gained a half to a whole kilo from time to time. food choices matter, as does the frequency of eating - perhaps more for some than others.

I find I eat more (frequently) when I'm tired or stressed, and I have insomnia so tiredness is an ongoing challenge.

I'm 5 months out and struggling with many of the same challenges as the OP. I'm sure we could all do with a little therapy to fine tune out approach to life, but there can be other things that need sorting out too. I'm going to get some blood tests done this week and hoping this reveals something helpful. OP perhaps that might worthwhile you doing too. And if you can, get a great night's sleep. I'm sure it makes a huge difference.

Good luck.

beat back the carb monster

I think this is really true for me - I have had small small amounts of bread and pizza and found I ate more after. Some people seem to be able to just eat smaller amounts of the foods they ate before, and others have to restrict the types of food they eat too.

I did not post that looking for "permission" to eat junk. I was sharing my struggle and hoping for some encouragement to get back on track. And partly I was posting just to be accountable to myself by making it public. I was being honest.

I really find that there is a lot of negativity and judgement on this forum.

The best advice I've gotten so far was the suggestion about a therapist. The rest is just nasty and judgmental. And to the person who said "stop eating ****"... You are about 4 days out' date=' right? I hope for your sake you don't struggle like I am at 4 months, but at 4 days food made me sick. That changes over time and it does get harder. I'm not making excuses for my choices. Just being real and looking for some help.[/quote']

Amen to that!!! Most of these people are very judgmental like they have been healthy all their lives!! It erks the heck outta me!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thanks for that. I was responding more to the other poster. Cardio is about oxygen and heartrate. Weight training can be done at an aerobic pace. I just feel someone being told that they NEED to hire a personal trainer is not right. I did respond to that saying in my opinion - and the next poster that quoted me said I am wrong and my advise is bad. The original poster stated she is working out.... and was told to hire a trainer. MY response was to reinforce that she's working out.... great! Cardio is good. I have two cousins that are professional bodybuilders, one a male and one a female. The male has had several surgeries this year and is using a cane to walk... he is in bad shape. Like I said he was at a professional level. I think they both trained for hours daily, many many hours. Personally if I really wanted to get back to the bench press and shoulder press and dead lift, I can't do it. I am one step away from having shoulder surgery. I might could do bicep curls, maybe. Yes, people should find what works for them - but I still stand on my position that you shouldn't have to pay another individual so you can excercise, and you do not have to do weight training to lose weight. My NUT advises getting my heartrate to a training level 30 minutes 5 days a week, her description is I should be able to talk but not be able to sing (I call that cardio). The more I'm reading about this surgery and excercise in general, the more recommendations I'm seeing pushing towards 60 - 90 minutes a day of aerobic activity (I also see that as cardio). I met with the surgeon just the other day, and he is saying to expect 60% excess weight loss - if I want more than that it is going to take work and yes he did say cardio, cardio and more cardio.

I loved weight training, I am very goal oriented and loved increasing the weights and I did see definition (I was MUCH smaller) and I may have returned to it if I didn't have the problems I have. I have to dead lift 70 lbs at work and that is where my shoulder problems come in, the lifting. In my OPINION, it is a good addition to cardio. Throughout life the people "I" have seen be the most successful are the walkers and runners. I used to work with a guy that was 400+ lbs and decided to start walking, then he ran - and a year later he's 170 lbs at 6'5" and everyone in town knew him as the guy that ran... he ran to work, home from work and around town. I have a lady in my neighborhood that was heavy and started walking, and now she's thin and speed walks every night... every single night. Met a girl online that got a bodybugg when I did and she now runs Marathons all over the US. I met another girl online through bodybugg that was 400 and something lbs and now is 130 and just did a bodybuilding show and placed 2nd, no skin hanging at all, (wore a bikini on stage) she did have a trainer and she did cardio and weights. I think the skin not hanging has to be the weights, and probably a very good personal trainer, she says she has not had surgery. I believe in weight training. I just don't think people should be told they have to hire a trainer.

Weight training is excercising the muscles and Cardio is excercising the heart. The American Heart Association recommends 150 minutes per week of aerobic excercise per week There website states: Aerobic exercises benefit your heart, such as walking, jogging, swimming or biking. Strength and stretching exercises are best for overall stamina and flexibility.

Hi I have not had my surgery yet, but I am making changes now so that it does not be so hard after I get to the surgery time. I know it may be hard but try to remember why you had this surgery in the first place. Get rid of all your triggers, if your stress out, go for a walk instead of eating, began a journal, try something new that soothing such as a puzzle , knitting,painting etc. And find a good support group. Good luck I know you can do it.