Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Iron still low and I'm frustrated!

I got a call from the dietician yesterday telling me that my test results for albumin and Iron were still low. I told her she was mistaken about the albumin because I was holding test results in my hand that I took August 27th that read 3.9 g/dl (range is 3.5-5.0 g/dl).

I was upset about the Iron because I have been taking 65mg of iron twice a day religiously for the last seven weeks.

The Constipation has been killing me and I have (TMI) an anal fissure that I've been trying to heal this whole time. I really want to cry cuz nothing seems to be going right.

I also found out that the PCIP insurance that I have will expire Dec. 31st 2013 and I'll have to pick another plan. The new plan may not have weight loss surgery as a ryder and then all of this work will have been done for nothing.

So I feel like I'm in between a rock and a hard place.

I'm bumping my iron up to 65mg 3 times a day in hopes of getting these labs straight by next month (Oct. 8th will be the last of my PCP visits and everything will be ready to be submitted).

I just needed to talk about it.

My best friend had gastric bypass 2 years ago. She had an Iron infusion where the gave her Iron intravenously and it took a few hours. She couldn't take the iron pills because of the Constipation.< /p>

I am on prescription iron. I take 975 mg every day and it's still a little low. I will ask my PCP about an iron infusion before my sleeve.

Clearly my stomach doesn't absorb the iron well. You're stopped up on 195 mg a day and I still have chronic diarrhea on 975 mg a day.

You can get an Iron infusion from my PCP? I thought that was something I had to go into the hospital to get.

Shoot 130mg has been stopping me up, oh 148 cuz my Multivitamin has 18mg in it.

I was reading that you shouldn't go over 600mg due to toxic poisoning. But I can't be getting enough. I mean the lady told me I went down from 46 to 39. The range is 50-115. I was really taken back by that. I don't have a lot of time to fix this, due to the insurance, but I don't want to poison myself either.

I'll figure it out.....I guess.

Take the Iron pill with Vitamin C. It helps your body absorb the iron which should ease the Constipation. My surgery was postponed due to an iron deficiency back in July 2012. By Oct. my level was acceptable. Also, eat lots of fish & leafy green veggies at every meal. Hope this works for you.

I don't know that she got it from her PCP, just saying I will talk to my PCP about ordering it. My Iron is prescribed and that's what the bottle says, so I guess it isn't too much, especially since I'm not absorbing it.

Take the Iron pill with Vitamin C. It helps your body absorb the Iron which should ease the Constipation. My surgery was postponed due to an iron deficiency back in July 2012. By Oct. my level was acceptable. Also, eat lots of fish & leafy green veggies at every meal. Hope this works for you.

Glad you mentioned that. You are NOT supposed to take iron with Calcium. Since I usually eat Cereal with milk in the morning (preop) I take my iron at night.

Glad you mentioned that. You are NOT supposed to take Iron with Calcium. Since I usually eat Cereal with milk in the morning (preop) I take my Iron at night.

Glad you reminded me about not taking it with calcium. That could have been one of my problems since I was trying to get my albumin levels up at the same time and drinking Protein shakes to do that (I make mines with milk or yogurt).

Going forward I'm going to have to time it so my iron and my calcium aren't near each other. I did start to take my iron with OJ. I hope I can get these numbers up in the next month. I feel the time ticking now that my insurance will expire at the end of the year.

I have to have Iron infusions because pills don't help enough for me. Do you have a ppo? I do and was able to make an an appointment directly with a hematologist and he is the one that does the infusions because my hemo was 9 and my iron sat wad 4. My pcp would still have me on pills and be terribly low still. You might have to take it in your own hands. Good luck!

I also have to take Iron infusions. I'm taking a drug called feramane. There are two doses. I take my second dose tomorrow. My iron was 4 or under. Definitely go to hemotolgist. Also regarding your insurance pray. I had a simIiar situation which I had to switch companies and the new company didn't have the rider. I had to pick up my husband insurance... But my insurance had to deny me first. It will all work out for you.

You can get an Iron infusion from my PCP? I thought that was something I had to go into the hospital to get.

Shoot 130mg has been stopping me up' date=' oh 148 cuz my Multivitamin has 18mg in it.

I was reading that you shouldn't go over 600mg due to toxic poisoning. But I can't be getting enough. I mean the lady told me I went down from 46 to 39. The range is 50-115. I was really taken back by that. I don't have a lot of time to fix this, due to the insurance, but I don't want to poison myself either.

I'll figure it out.....I guess.[/quote']

Get a referral to a hematologist. They will set you up with an infusion clinic for IV Iron and some do them in their clinic. If your plan doesn't require a referral find a hematologist in your network and follow up with them regarding your labs. And as another poster said pray. Hopefully once it all gets submitted maybe you can get approved and get a date before your insurance changes. I will say a prayer for you.

I emailed my surgery scheduler and she talked to the surgeon. She said they do have a person and she'll get back to me on that.

I'm wondering how many infusions does it take to get your Iron up? Time is really of the essence right now. I'm not going to worry though. Oct. 1st you can go in and look at other ins. plans and I'll be sure to pick one that has wls as a ryder (if they have one). That way all of this work I've been putting in won't be for nothing.

I'm back in the gym now after months of depression and I'm going to do this....surgery or not!

I think it just takes one infusion.

I started with one a week for two months, and still have to go once a month until my levels get up to normal. It all depends on how low you are.

Oj with Iron is a good combination . The orange juice helps with better absorption

I also am quite Iron deficient. Everyone is different, but OJ definitely wouldn't work for me. 1) Iron supplements can lead to acid reflux. Iron + OJ would likely make me feel awful. 2) OJ occasionally has Calcium in it.

You absolutely cannot take iron with any Calcium. Not even your multivitamin. Calcium bonds to the iron, making absorption impossible. (It's fundamental chemistry.)

What works for me? A piece of turkey before bed with an iron pill and a Vitamin C.

Iron supplements are finicky for sure.... Good luck!