Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too much food making me angry

That was the other thing. The kids menu had not one Protein laden thing on it. Apparently kids only eat French toast, waffles, and pancakes around here. We make our son eat Protein first because otherwise, like us pre-sleeve, he'd prob live on carbs if we let him.

I am trying to work with my kids to make protein their go to food. My boys are a bit better with that, but my girls love pancakes, waffles etc. I do not want them to have the struggles I have had. I admit I played a bit dumb as I was adopted when Dr would ask for family history. I was quick to say I do not know. Which I didn't but looking at my families eating habits and my parents health issues I knew where I was headed.

I tried to go to Denny's for Breakfast with some friends a couple weeks ago. They have a $2, $4, $6 menu, and I was really hoping that for Breakfast they'd have something like 1 egg and 2 pieces of bacon or similar. Of course not. They had biscuits and gravy... I ended up doing a "build your own slam" because the price difference from ordering a la carte was really minor, so I decided to take home leftovers. I think I ate 1/2 an egg and a single bite of ham and loaded everything else into the box, which I of course put in the fridge, but never touched it again. It was very much a your trash or mine kind of thing. I would have so been better off just ordering a la carte.

I discussed splitting meals with the hubs. He simply was not enthused. We'll see how it goes, though. Our schedules have been kind of horrifying lately, so we haven't even had the opportunity to have dinner together at all since I had surgery. I may be able to talk him into splitting something when it comes down to it. I do bring my leftovers home and he usually eats them, though. I also tend to gravitate toward restaurants that have good appetizer selections and small plates now. Thankfully, the small plate philosophy seems to be starting to catch on around here.

I tried to go to Denny's for breakfast with some friends a couple weeks ago. They have a 2' date=' 4, 6 menu, and I was really hoping that for breakfast they'd have something like 1 egg and 2 pieces of bacon or similar. Of course not. They had biscuits and gravy... I ended up doing a "build your own slam" because the price difference from ordering a la carte was really minor, so I decided to take home leftovers. I think I ate 1/2 an egg and a single bite of ham and loaded everything else into the box, which I of course put in the fridge, but never touched it again. It was very much a your trash or mine kind of thing. I would have so been better off just ordering a la carte.

I discussed splitting meals with the hubs. He simply was not enthused. We'll see how it goes, though. Our schedules have been kind of horrifying lately, so we haven't even had the opportunity to have dinner together at all since I had surgery. I may be able to talk him into splitting something when it comes down to it. I do bring my leftovers home and he usually eats them, though. I also tend to gravitate toward restaurants that have good appetizer selections and small plates now. Thankfully, the small plate philosophy seems to be starting to catch on around here.[/quote']

I can relate to the small plates and also to not being enthused about leftovers. They always sound better than they taste to me. I look at appetizer menus before deciding where to go, and think of whether they'll make good leftovers or not before I order.

Life and priorities do chance don't they! Used to be, I'd order whatever sounded good and was vaguely healthy. It's not that simple anymore :)

I'm a big fan of ordering off the appetizers menu nowadays. But I agree that restaurants are overfeeding us with fat' date=' sugar and salt because that's how they keep customers coming. It's an addictive combination and they know it.[/quote']

And face it, as a society we are conditioned to expect huge portions. If we were served small portions we would feel ripped off. And the restaurant wouldn't be competetivs.

I travel for work so eat out all the time. I find the ala carte menu and the appetizer menu to be healthier choices then the kids menus. If I have to order from the regular menu, I pick my Protein first, then sides wisely and take the rest back to the hotel where I have a fridge. It's usually 3-4 meals for me and I pitch some of it because the Protein gets eaten before the sides.

I'm about 6 wks out also and find my brain needs a bit of an overhaul. I don't need a bedtime snack at home, but feel I need one ( a handful of tamari almonds) at the hotel. Also, I'm more distracted on the road and find myself trying to eat too fast (kind of like medicating the loneliness). Stuff for me to be mindful of.

I too could have polished off all of Gamergirls breakfast before surgery. So glad and grateful to be sleeved today!

Hubs and I have been out and split meals twice. I'm amazed at how conscious he is of how much is on the plate and how much he could eat now. One meal we had Mexican. He ordered a combo. All I wanted was the chicken from the burrito and a spoon of Refried Beans. The chicken was so tough, I told him I wouldn't eat it. He gave me the beef out of what was left of his taco and offered to order more for me, which I declined. dinner was 12 bucks. I was elated! He was happy to get to eat Mexican. We've split since and really enjoy this new perspective.

I'm also getting better about becoming an Order Diva. I order exactly what I want whether or not its on the menu. Yesterday for lunch I asked for just a scoop of chicken salad. The girl was thrown into a tizzy but I figured if they had a chicken salad sandwich they had chicken salad! They figured it out.

For dinner, I asked for the insides of one fish taco. Confused the waiter, but he did ask. And I got a plateful of yummy, well-seasoned Tilapia that I really enjoyed.

Granted a lot of both got thrown down the drain but it was what I wanted and I wasted less.

As is my usual experience, I think people mainly enjoy helping others. If you ask nicely, it's quite nice to see how people step up and help us get what we need for the most part.

I'm about 6 wks out also and find my brain needs a bit of an overhaul. I don't need a bedtime snack at home' date=' but feel I need one ( a handful of tamari almonds) at the hotel. Also, I'm more distracted on the road and find myself trying to eat too fast (kind of like medicating the loneliness). Stuff for me to be mindful of.

I too could have polished off all of Gamergirls breakfast before surgery. So glad and grateful to be sleeved today![/quote']

I can relate to the bedtime snack thing. I never have one at home, but in a hotel room, I wonder if I need one last thing at night. Perhaps to stave off the starvation that will no doubt occur leading to my demise! :)

Okay, it's happening. Watching restaurant serving sizes is making me angry.

Who could possibly have eaten all this much food for Breakfast? Even pre-sleeve, I know I couldn't have finished a third of it.

Kind of makes me angry now how every restaurant in this country appears to be doing its part to make us overweight.

I ordered 2 eggs with ham. See what I got? Way more than 2 eggs, a thick chunk of ham, hash browns and toast.

See what I was able to eat? All the rest will go down the trash. What a waste.

Back in the day, I could easily finish two plates of that. I agree with you, but in actuality that meal is cheap to produce and a happy customer is a returning customer.

Decided to get some BBQ today since its smoked meats no sauce on it. This is what was left AFTER I ate my 1 1/2 oz. not counting the mound of slaw that I didn't eat. will be eating this for days lol. I will wrap some and freeze so I can eat next week and not be tired of it Wish restaurants would start offering Bariatric sizes. But then they'd prob. Not make as much profit off them. Oh we'll. thank goodness for freezers!

Ham brisket and chicken

post-64677-13813669860079_thumb.jpg

Decided to get some BBQ today since its smoked meats no sauce on it. This is what was left AFTER I ate my 1 1/2 oz. not counting the mound of slaw that I didn't eat. will be eating this for days lol. I will wrap some and freeze so I can eat next week and not be tired of it Wish restaurants would start offering Bariatric sizes. But then they'd prob. Not make as much profit off them. Oh we'll. thank goodness for freezers!

Ham brisket and chicken

Man, that looks good! Are you in the south?

Sleevers aside, restaurants/food outlets serve the food the public wants. They have no health agenda, they are there to make money so they serve food that the majority will buy. So we need to speak up if we want something else on the menu because they will provide food if there are buyers ....

How many of us complained about portion sizes pre-sleeve? Not me. So is it the restaurants' fault that I got fat eating everything they put on my plate? Em, nope. But I do speak up now by making more demands when I order. For example, when I eat fish, I ask for the smallest fillet they have - they are usually happy to do that as no one else wants it cos they are still demanding value for money in the shape of a huge piece of fish!

I eat out 3/4 times a week and make polite requests almost every time so that I get the meals I need. At almost 5 months out, never had a problem with any restaurant doing what I have asked them. The smaller I have gotten, there seems to be a recognition that I must eat less so they seem to go along with that.

Sleevers aside' date=' restaurants/food outlets serve the food the public wants. They have no health agenda, they are there to make money so they serve food that the majority will buy. So we need to speak up if we want something else on the menu because they will provide food if there are buyers ....

How many of us complained about portion sizes pre-sleeve? Not me. So is it the restaurants' fault that I got fat eating everything they put on my plate? Em, nope. But I do speak up now by making more demands when I order. For example, when I eat fish, I ask for the smallest fillet they have - they are usually happy to do that as no one else wants it cos they are still demanding value for money in the shape of a huge piece of fish!

I eat out 3/4 times a week and make polite requests almost every time so that I get the meals I need. At almost 5 months out, never had a problem with any restaurant doing what I have asked them. The smaller I have gotten, there seems to be a recognition that I must eat less so they seem to go along with that.[/quote']

Agree that we have to ask for what we need. In restaurants as well as in life :) after a couple of days of food wastage I caught on to ordering just what I needed. A scoop of chicken salad, not the whole sandwich. Just the fish from inside one taco, not a plate of three tacos with rice and Beans. It caused a little consternation, but each time they obliged and I got exactly what I wanted.

I'm learning! :)

Man' date=' that looks good! Are you in the south?[/quote']

Mmm I AM in the south I could order that and my husband and I could eat all weekend!

I love going to BBQ places. I eat my bit of chicken or brisket and I'm good.

When eating out, I always split a plate with another person. I hate having left overs