Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm hungry more often than I'd like to be (very often, that is!)

I'm 8 weeks out and on a regular diet (yes, including those dastardly carbs). I can toterate everything cept ice cream (gives me hours of stomach cramps. Just not worth it). I'm now sposed to be eating just 3 meals a day. I think I'd starve on 3 meals a day. I can only eat maybe 6 bites and I'm done. I figured out my calories and even with a Protein shake I'd only be getting less than 450.

So I'm eating much more often. I wasn't one of u lucky ones to lose their appetite. Mines been there since day #10. In fact, since I eat so little, I'm hungry more often.

I'm traveling right now in another state and on our way down last week we stopped at In and Out Burger (something we don't have in OR - thank God!) and I ordered a cheeseburger. I was able to eat about 5 bites. Went in the cooler for later. I nibbled on it all day till it was gone. I don't think I'm sposed to be able to eat a whole cheeseburger even over the course of a whole day, am I?

Please don't tell me that cheeseburgers are what got me here and be all preachy. I know all this. I was lapbanded for almost 4 yrs prior to this and am still trying to figure out how to eat. I also know that I got wls in the first place because I was tired of dieting. And for the most part, I haven't "dieted" since getting my lapband.

Until now...I'm watching my calories on MFP. Trying to stay under 1,000. My NUT thinks thats starvation (I'm the 1st sleeve he's worked with and he's tickled to have a "pet project") and I've told him that most wls patients actually eat much lower than 1,000 calories. The past few days I've averaged about 900 calories a day (with traveling, I think thats a start!) and I've bounced between the same 2 lbs the past 4 weeks. I see everyones incredible weightloss (some are going over 40 lbs in 4 weeks!) and I see my 18 lbs loss in 8 weeks (which I started at 174 so I new I'd lose slower, but this is ridiculous) and gasp.

I guess I have no questions. Just wanted to point out that not all of us enjoy the "no hunger" part of being sleeved. I had 1/2 of a fish taco about 2 hrs ago and I'm starving. I'm now eyeing the other 1/2. If I ate everytime I'm hungry, I could eat about as much as I did previously.

So those of you who have no hunger, consider yourself lucky!

How many carbs are you eating? Just a suggestion, but for me, the more carbs I eat the hungrier I am. That said, I am currently eating a little something every 2-3 hours, but I am on the puree stage right now and I can't eat more than 3-4 bites at a time. And I am careful that whatever I'm eating is low carb.

While I'm "watching" carbs ( as in I will eat a wrap instead of a pc of bread), I'm not eating "Low carb". My husband takes low carb eating to the next level. He's scared of all carbs - including some veggies and fruit. He found out that there's 1 gm of carb in cheese and won't eat that anymore either. Tries to eat less than 10 a day. Thats too drastic for me. It's why I had wls in the first place.

So, no I'm not eating low carb. But thanks for the ideas...

I'm 8 weeks out and on a regular diet (yes, including those dastardly carbs). I can toterate everything cept ice cream (gives me hours of stomach cramps. Just not worth it). I'm now sposed to be eating just 3 meals a day. I think I'd starve on 3 meals a day. I can only eat maybe 6 bites and I'm done. I figured out my calories and even with a Protein shake I'd only be getting less than 450.

So I'm eating much more often. I wasn't one of u lucky ones to lose their appetite. Mines been there since day #10. In fact, since I eat so little, I'm hungry more often.

I'm traveling right now in another state and on our way down last week we stopped at In and Out Burger (something we don't have in OR - thank God!) and I ordered a cheeseburger. I was able to eat about 5 bites. Went in the cooler for later. I nibbled on it all day till it was gone. I don't think I'm sposed to be able to eat a whole cheeseburger even over the course of a whole day, am I?

Please don't tell me that cheeseburgers are what got me here and be all preachy. I know all this. I was lapbanded for almost 4 yrs prior to this and am still trying to figure out how to eat. I also know that I got wls in the first place because I was tired of dieting. And for the most part, I haven't "dieted" since getting my lapband.

Until now...I'm watching my calories on MFP. Trying to stay under 1,000. My NUT thinks thats starvation (I'm the 1st sleeve he's worked with and he's tickled to have a "pet project") and I've told him that most wls patients actually eat much lower than 1,000 calories. The past few days I've averaged about 900 calories a day (with traveling, I think thats a start!) and I've bounced between the same 2 lbs the past 4 weeks. I see everyones incredible weightloss (some are going over 40 lbs in 4 weeks!) and I see my 18 lbs loss in 8 weeks (which I started at 174 so I new I'd lose slower, but this is ridiculous) and gasp.

I guess I have no questions. Just wanted to point out that not all of us enjoy the "no hunger" part of being sleeved. I had 1/2 of a fish taco about 2 hrs ago and I'm starving. I'm now eyeing the other 1/2. If I ate everytime I'm hungry, I could eat about as much as I did previously.

So those of you who have no hunger, consider yourself lucky!

I had my surgery in Dec last year! My doctor said every two hrs I need to be eating something. He said the more I eat and get my fluids in the more I lose. Five to six small meals daily. I get hungry every few hrs too. I have reach the dr goal but 15 from my goal. Good luck, remember more is less. It works with the sleeve! Woo hoo!

Don't beat yourself up for eating at In and Out! I go maybe once every 4 months and get a cheeseburger Protein style which is the meat, cheese, Tomato wrapped in lettuce. You aren't eating the carbs that way or filling your stomach with usless food.

Secondly, I have had the band and two sleeve surgeries. I think I got this hungry thing figured out now. Your stomach is so small, but your body still needs the same level and quantity of good quality calories to maintain itself. The 3 meals a day doesn't work for some of us. I find that 5-6 times a day works best for me. Eat your 3 meals, but snack on Protein like turkey, cheese, yogurt, etc. You could also do a Protein shake and split it up in two portions. Not everyone in this world follows the sma e3 meal a day needs. You do what is best for your body.

Melissa

I'm happy to read this because I feel the same way and eat the same as you. I'm 7.5 weeks out. Just refreshing cause everything on here is like I lost 50 lbs in 2 days. Seriously. Not that I'm happy for any misery you have but I'm right there with you

Love it! Sounds like we have very similar ideals towards our new life style. I'm 6.5 weeks out and only lost 20lbs but I'm working out and eating less (around 1000-1200 calories). Look forward to seeing your progress!

Have u tried eating dense Protein first, then ur carbs? Turkey, tuna etc will fill u up better and take longer to digest. And the more u chew it, the more u will get in beyond taking just a few bites. That's helped me get more protein/food in and has kept my weight loss steady. Just a thought...

I never lost my hunger either. I have to eat every 3 hours and I can eat quite a bit. At 16 months post op I have had a few 3000 calorie days (and those were mostly decent food days, no candy).....so don't ever let anyone say the sleeve will stop you from eating alot of calories. But it hasn't stopped me from losing the weight cause I watch what I eat. Specifically....the starches. I don't worry too much about carbs, but the starches absolutely kill my weight loss, energy levels and increase my hunger tremendously. I will occasionally have a small amount but not often. Maybe once a month. I'm not sure if this is considered to be "on a diet" but it's a small price for me to pay to lose the weight and be healthy.

I didn't have the surgery to be on a diet the rest of my life, but I also didn't have it thinking I wouldn't have to make some changes in my life. I think there is a middle ground here that will bring you success. Good luck.