Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ok...I'm new here

Just downloaded this app to get more info. Finally sick enough of being overweight to actually do something about it. I lost a lot of weight 10+ years ago doing Atkins and exercising...then had surgery to remove a brain tumor 8 years ago and gained it all back plus a bunch extra! Went from 265 down to 218 prior to that surgery and have been up to a high of 310+ the last year. My surgery is a week from tomorrow on September 16th. Crossing my fingers that I'm doing the right thing even though I'm really nervous. I guess I'm at the point of rather be dead than so overweight so the risks of surgery don't mean as much.

Wish me luck!

Sam

Just downloaded this app to get more info. Finally sick enough of being overweight to actually do something about it. I lost a lot of weight 10+ years ago doing Atkins and exercising...then had surgery to remove a brain tumor 8 years ago and gained it all back plus a bunch extra! Went from 265 down to 218 prior to that surgery and have been up to a high of 310+ the last year. My surgery is a week from tomorrow on September 16th. Crossing my fingers that I'm doing the right thing even though I'm really nervous. I guess I'm at the point of rather be dead than so overweight so the risks of surgery don't mean as much.

Wish me luck!

Sam

I wish you luck my is sept 16 to im soo nervous but i really want to do it i just hope im doing the right thing

Welcome! There's so much to read and learn from here, that you can get most of your questions answered, and perhaps that might allay some of your fears.

Welcome! Keep us posted on your progress! :)

The biggest culprits in my life has been my career choices. I was a home builder and land developer for ten years which meant always eating on the run and always drinking soda. For the past 20 years I probably do fast food meals at least 5-8 times a week. A half gallon or more of diet coke doesn't help. At least as a home builder I was pretty active. Now I work in architecture so my days mostly consist of sitting at a desk or being in the car to meet with clients. Not very good things for losing weight.

Wish me luck!

Sam

Your story is like mine in a lot of ways...I lost over 50 pounds on the Atkins diet but once I stopped doing it I gained my 50 back plus more (story of my life!). I started this journey this past February and in 2 1/2 days I get my sleeve...I keep thinking that I should be more nervous about it or that I should be second guessing myself but I'm not, the only thing I really feel is that Wednesday can't get here fast enough!!! Good luck to ya and keep reading these forums...there is great information here!

My surgery date is Sept 16, too. I'm anxious but excited to start this new journey! Lets compare how we are doing!

I was really surprised at how fast all of this is going. I just started thinking about this as an option a few months ago. I spent a month or so doing research online and talking to a couple people that have had the procedure done. I went in to have the orientation and consultation with the surgeon just a couple weeks ago and they were able to fit me in their schedule this quickly. I'm on Medicare due to the brain tumor and the docs office says I meet all of medicares criteria for them to pay. I just have to pay the surgeon and hospital copays which comes to less than $2000! I'm happy to pay that to try to be thin again!!!

Welcome, Finehomes. As others have suggested, read posts here. You'll get broad picture of what to expect. Then with all the new found knowledge you won't be as nervous. You can spend the time getting the stuff you'll need for after surgery. For me this was a terrific decision, I'm 52 now.....a year ago my chances of making it to 60 were not so good. Oh buy the way I'm from Idaho. No surgeon in this area even does the GSV, most general practitioners here have not even heard of the surgery. lol. Best of luck.